• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone been reading the Corto Maltese releases from IDW? I've always heard such good things about these stories and am looking forward to the 12 volumes in English that IDW is doing.

I believe 4 have been released so far:

Volume 1: Under the Sign of The Capricorn

Volume 2: Beyond the Windy Isles

Volume 3: Celtic Tales

Volume 4: The Ethiopian

I recently saw that Beyond the Windy Isles won (co-won) the 2016 Harvey Award for Best American Edition of Foreign Material. I was hoping for some opinions from anyone who has checked them out.

highly recommended .... dreamlike narrative and very poetical.

Dreamlike is possibly a better term than the elliptical terminology I was going to use. These stories are not strongly grounded in the narrative as they tend to indeed be oneiric in nature. Most of the development happen under a fog of sun-induced haze but the graphics are what will grab you. So, in the same way that Lone Wolf & Cub wins thanks to the impressionistic quality of the art, Corto wins due to the crispness of the lines in telling the story but I'd say that the intensity of Lone Wolf & Cub's stories is stronger than Corto's so take your time and relish every panel in Corto, you should enjoy the experience much more that way. A lot of it is about atmosphere.

And, no I haven't seen the new reprints so I can't vouch for their quality but IDW rarely fails. :thumbsup: