• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 59 9.2 or Cap 100 9.2

21 posts in this topic

I'm trying to round out my 9.2 collection and need a 9.2 Captain America to go along with the others. I'm having a hard time deciding between TOS 59 and Cap 100 . What do you guys think? I would be curious to know the views on cover art preference and long term value preference. It's a tough decision.

My 9.2 collection is framed and consists of the following 1) Hulk 181 9.2 2) Amazing Spiderman 129 9.2 3) Marvel Spotlight 5 9.2 4) Giant Sized X-Men 9.2 5) Daredevil 7 9.2 6) Iron Man #1 9.2

Cap #100 actually goes with your first appearances / "#1's" theme.

TOS #59 would make your Iron Man #1 redundant and would look out of place as would #58 (which is a better cover than #59 BTW)

(And I'm including DD #7 as the first appearance of DD as we know him)

My two cents

Jim

Cap #100 actually goes with your first appearances / "#1's" theme.

TOS #59 would make your Iron Man #1 redundant and would look out of place as would #58 (which is a better cover than #59 BTW)

(And I'm including DD #7 as the first appearance of DD as we know him)

My two cents

Jim

... makes sense...... and a Hulk 102, Doctor Strange 169, SHIELD 1, and Subby 1 might make nice future additions.... the Avengers 4 would be a good thought..... but a 9.2 is beyond the pale for 98% of collectors..... very pricey. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FWIW, the owner of a comics shop in upstate NY once told me about being at a convention in the 1970's and watching Dolgoff and the Koch brothers open up sealed cases of uncirculated Marvels from the Robert Bell collection. TOS #59 was among the books he cited as recalling them open a case of. It may well be one of the more common high-grade mid-60's Marvels. So I guess I'd lean Cap #100.

FWIW, the owner of a comics shop in upstate NY once told me about being at a convention in the 1970's and watching Dolgoff and the Koch brothers open up sealed cases of uncirculated Marvels from the Robert Bell collection. TOS #59 was among the books he cited as recalling them open a case of. It may well be one of the more common high-grade mid-60's Marvels. So I guess I'd lean Cap #100.

TOS59 (11/1964), common in high grade?

Like ASM33, or FF48.

The owner is full of Schitt!

No, he's not. He may be wrong, in fact or in your anecdotal experience; and he may be recalling incorrectly, but he was sincere.

Of the 845 on the registry, there's 167 in 9.0 or better. Five of them available on eBay right now, plus a few raw that might net high grades too. Another 132 of the 845 are 8.0 and 8.5.

One can make what they want of incomplete statistics (we don't know of course how many are ungraded out there), but there's enough right there to account for his case that he says he saw. And if there was no comparable case of surrounding issues, its enough to skew the relative # of surviving high grade copies, by comparison.

Hardly a stretch.

Then again, nothing says every copy he saw from that unopened case 40 years ago didn't get eaten by someone's dog since then, either.

No, he's not. He may be wrong, in fact or in your anecdotal experience; and he may be recalling incorrectly, but he was sincere.

Of the 845 on the registry, there's 167 in 9.0 or better. Five of them available on eBay right now, plus a few raw that might net high grades too. Another 132 of the 845 are 8.0 and 8.5.

One can make what they want of incomplete statistics (we don't know of course how many are ungraded out there), but there's enough right there to account for his case that he says he saw. And if there was no comparable case of surrounding issues, its enough to skew the relative # of surviving high grade copies, by comparison.

Hardly a stretch.

Then again, nothing says every copy he saw from that unopened case 40 years ago didn't get eaten by someone's dog since then, either.

***TRANSLATION***

Sorry...He's full of schitt!

I worked part time in a comic store in Toronto (Bakka on Queen West) in the late 70s & comics were delivered in bundles with bundling straps.

I don't recall comics being shipped in boxes/cases in the 60s or 70s.

Hardly a stretch.

***TRANSLATION***

I worked part time in a comic store in Toronto (Bakka on Queen West) in the late 70s & comics were delivered in bundles with bundling straps.

.....I've often wondered about this, I'm familiar with the strapped bundles as well, but were they delivered from the printing plant to the larger regional distributors that way..... or could they have been boxed and then counted and bundled at the local distributor ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hardly a stretch.

***TRANSLATION***

Here you go, then, a box of unopened comics:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/sad-sack-fun-around-the-world-1-unopened-box-of-file-copies-harvey-1974-condition-average-nm-/a/121431-11405.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You see, retail sellers may receive their comics in unboxed bundles, but the distributors who supply them may receive larger quantities (up to 300 or so) by the box.

Solving this apparent confusion is, of course, thinking outside the box. ;)

Hardly a stretch.

***TRANSLATION***

Here you go, then, a box of unopened comics:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/sad-sack-fun-around-the-world-1-unopened-box-of-file-copies-harvey-1974-condition-average-nm-/a/121431-11405.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

You see, retail sellers may receive their comics in unboxed bundles, but the distributors who supply them may receive larger quantities (up to 300 or so) by the box.

Solving this apparent confusion is, of course, thinking outside the box. ;)

Hmmm...learned something new today.

Thanks