• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boston Comic Con - August 11-13, 2017 New Venue New Dates 10th Anniversary
3 3

122 posts in this topic

On 2017-02-11 at 0:53 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

We feel it's important for Boston Comic Con to maintain its pro-comics stance, which couldn't make our comics team happier.

Kevin,

I've heard negative things since Informa has taken over both the Boston show and the Orlando show. If keeping comic dealers in the show were a priority I think some people feel that it isn't. Dealers being moved out of traditional spots, dealers losing spots. I run a business and totally understand how business works but maintaining a pro comics stance takes work from both sides. The dealers I spoke to who have supported those shows for years don't all feel like the shows are trying to keep them comic centric. That's just my two cents.

As a spectator, my observation is that those two shows were terrific buying shows for me in the past and in recent years they have not been.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:
On 2/11/2017 at 0:53 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

We feel it's important for Boston Comic Con to maintain its pro-comics stance, which couldn't make our comics team happier.

Kevin,

I've heard negative things since Informa has taken over both the Boston show and the Orlando show. If keeping comic dealers in the show were a priority I think some people feel that it isn't. Dealers being moved out of traditional spots, dealers losing spots. I run a business and totally understand how business works but maintaining a pro comics stance takes work from both sides. The dealers I spoke to who have supported those shows for years don't all feel like the shows are trying to keep them comic centric. That's just my two cents.

As a spectator, my observation is that those two shows were terrific buying shows for me in the past and in recent years they have not been.

Good post and I agree

I remember going to Javits shows in NYC in the 90s. Huge two/three day comic cons. Tons of comic book artists and writers. No non-comic guests. No cosplayers. Shows were packed. 

Of course, it's not the 90s anymore and I suppose the only way these big shows can survive these days is by becoming more multi media than comic focused. For those of us old enough to have seen the "old days" it's a shame that it isn't like that anymore

Edited by Jerkfro

My approach is similar to the way I approach Fan Expo Canada --- as Comic Relations Coordinator we support the comics section by inviting quality guests across the board - from industry legends to the people working on the hottest comics to those up and comers. We add to this by providing quality comics programming - workshops. sketch duels. creator spotlights, breaking in and publisher spotlights. If you are a fan of the art form of comics, we are there to provide content that you will hopefully be interested in as a fan. We'll also work to advertise and promote the show to an audience that is interested in comics.

We sell space to comic dealers, we continue working with the old Boston team to ensure that they tell us about continuity, who has been supporting the show, what their needs are, etc. 

I'd be happy to talk to anyone that feels that they are being slighted or not taken care of. Some things change with new ownership - floor plans change because there's a formula that works for us, but we're also happy to take direct feedback. Changing hands does mean some things will change. Especially since we're in a new location.

I'm not going to blow off concerns. Some things are out of our control - say the dates available. I understand that's a huge problem for many people with Orlando. But the things is, communicate - don't stew. Contact myself, contact Gurmeet, contact Nikole. We're here to make this as straight forward a process as we can. Our emails are simple first name @fanexpohq.com  

Anyways, Boston is a comics show and management has expressed on many occasions how important it is that we maintain that priority, and I'm working directly with Nick and getting his input and feedback, and Randy House is now a major part of the Fan Expo comics team for all of our events. 

Celebrities and cosplay are part of these events, I know many people don't care or even hate those aspects in the comics scene, but we put on events that appeal to different fan communities and they do overlap. 

30 minutes ago, Kevin Boyd said:

I'm not going to blow off concerns. Some things are out of our control - say the dates available. I understand that's a huge problem for many people with Orlando. But the things is, communicate - don't stew. Contact myself, contact Gurmeet, contact Nikole. We're here to make this as straight forward a process as we can. Our emails are simple first name @fanexpohq.com  

I never doubted you'd be open to conversation and it's good that you put that out there. Maybe some of the locals can talk to their favorite dealers and work with you in moving forward in a way the benefits everyone.

Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes Get Old at #BostonComicCon17!

Join us for the special event on Friday, August 11th as the legendary duo takes the stage together in Jay and Silent Bob Get Old! And don't miss out on Kevin Smith & Jason Mewes posing for photo ops in a RARE Boston Comic Con experience!

NOTE: Admission to Boston Comic Con is NOT required to attend the special event, but is required for photo ops. Photo Ops will go on sale alongside all other guests, 3-4 weeks before the event.

Special Event Tickets on sale Thursday at 10am EST!
www.BostonComicCon.com/jay-silent-bob-get-old

17190898_1263566997026389_8553816667131927464_n.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW REUNION TOUR come to Boston Comic Con

TIM CURRY (previously announced)

PATRICIA QUINN

NELL CAMPBELL

MEAT LOAF

BARRY BOSTWICK

17903990_1298988660150889_6343506521200120158_n.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

MORE COMIC GUESTS! WAVE 3 ANNOUNCED:

NEAL ADAMS

ED MCGUINNESS

TONY MOORE

JOE HILL

KEN LASHLEY

JOELLE JONES

JASON LATOUR

JONBOY MEYERS

JOHN TIMMS

CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN

IVAN BRANDON

TYLER KIRKHAM

MATT HAWKINS

TY TEMPLETON

DAN PARENT

GISELE LAGACE

ANDREW ROBINSON

JASON SHAWN ALEXANDER

TANA FORD

www.bostoncomiccon.com

WAVE 1:
JOHN ROMITA JR.
DAVID FINCH
TOM KING
HUMBERTO RAMOS
MIKE ZECK
JAE LEE
PHIL JIMENEZ
PHIL NOTO
CLAY MANN
KEVIN MAGUIRE
FRANCISCO HERRARA
TONY HARRIS
JOE JUSKO
MEREDITH FINCH
MICHAEL CHO
DON ROSA

WAVE 2:

J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
ADAM KUBERT 
ADAM HUGHES
ART ADAMS
JIMMY CHEUNG
SEAN GORDON MURPHY
CHAD HARDIN
PETER TOMASI
RYAN STEGMAN
NICK BRADSHAW
JOYCE CHIN
RYAN OTTLEY
TOM GRUMMETT
CORIN HOWELL
SCOTT HEPBURN
ALLISON SOHN

18447485_1332372353479186_372922052494788622_n.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Sorry about all the updates this morning, I missed a few celebrity announcements which may be of interest. Make sure to check out wave 3 of the comic guests announced today.