• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Personal Comic Book/Original Art Acquisitions of 2016!

166 posts in this topic

[font:Book Antiqua]

I have been moving toward the OA side of collecting.

From my Top 3 only this one had been scanned.

Anarky # 8 Cover by Norm Breyfrogle.

Featuring a great collection of Bat-villains:

The Joker, Two Face, Killer Crock, The Ventriloquist and Anarky[/font]

Anarky%20%208%20Cover_zps7kvei6wb.jpg

I absolutely love your cover, Breyfogle is one of my favorite artist ;)

[font:Book Antiqua]That is an understatement,

Your Breyfrogle Covers Have No Rival..![/font]

:golfclap:

Yours is pretty impressive !

After Peter's amazing post, I was tempted not to post.

Then I read Miraclemet's thoughtful post and I had second thoughts. I agree with Miraclemet that my top 3 of 2016, do not have to be the books I spent the most on, they just have to be the top 3 that perhaps I appreciate the most, for one reason or another.

In reality, I don't know what my top 3 are, but here are a few picks from 2016 that have meaning to me. (oh yeah, before I forget, I like that SA12 of yours Miracle).

First I want to take you back to my youth, when I purchased my first OSPG (it was #10). I think I read that things over and over again. One thing that caught my eye was the 1979 market report and a story in it (page A-17) about a priest who had come to the Philadelphia convention with 6 copies of Blood is the Harvest and 7 copies of If the Devil Would Talk. The report said in part....

"The priest ended up in a small clothes closet with three dealers who negotiated for several hours on buying the books. After much haggling, the books were sold, and the priest left the convention with a fist full of thousand dollar bills."

I am not sure if this account is "gospel", however, that is what was reported. I would like to know who those three dealers were and learn what really happened. As for thousand dollar bills, I tend to think that was perhaps an exaggeration (as I don't think $1,000 bills were common place in 1979).

Regardless of what exactly happened on that day in 1979, I knew ONE thing, and that was that I wanted a copy of If the Devil Would Talk. Years later I obtained a copy and years later I also learned there was 4 copies of a B&W version of the book. Wow! How could I help but want one of those rare treasures?

This year, THANKS TO A BOARD MEMBER LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT ONE OF THESE BEING AUCTIONED OFF, I managed to snag this elusive treasure. I know most people reading here will probably say, "who cares", as this is NOT the top book on most people's want list, but to me it was a must have. The copy I purchased was low grade, but I did not care. It looks better in person than this photo (as I am horrible at photography), but it is by no means a high grade book.....

ibgi1d.jpg

By all means, ramble on!! I love the backstory. Thanks for taking us with on those adventures into the past.