• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggest some representative Bronze Keys?
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Marvel Premiere 15 and (even more so) Special Marvel Edition 15 are two of the best-reading origin/first app tales of the era, imo.

Agreed - those two and Luke Cage 1 are my fave readers. :)(thumbs u

These #1's are always on my Bronze radar for upgrades:

Black Panther #1

Iron Fist #1

Luke Cage #1

Inhumans #1

Nova #1

Defenders #1

OK list...I'm not knocking it BUT

Come on guys. Let's get a little creative.

Most of these "first issues" are way over printed and nothing much "key" about them besides being a 1st issue.

Much better bronze books to go after...especially pertaining to Black Panther and Inhumans.

Marvel Premiere 15 and (even more so) Special Marvel Edition 15 are two of the best-reading origin/first app tales of the era, imo.

+1

Absolutely love Special Marvel Edition 15 with the introduction of Shang-Chi. (thumbs u

Even more so once Paul Gulacy started on the series with his poor man's version of the Steranko artwork and style. :cloud9:

+1

Absolutely love Special Marvel Edition 15 with the introduction of Shang-Chi. (thumbs u

Even more so once Paul Gulacy started on the series with his poor man's version of the Steranko artwork and style. :cloud9:

Now that is an excellent book that I've somehow forgotten about!

Very undervalued...great read...room for growth...not that readily available in high grade.

I'm going to track one down. Thanks

+1

Yep,Gulacy rocked on this title. (thumbs u

Defenders 10. Sweet Hulk- Thor battle.

One of my favorite books of all time. :headbang:

Yeah, that one was kinda big in the early years of the boards, but it's been cold for quite awhile now. Definitely one that will heat back up.

The Bronze Age was more than the superhero genre and here are some keys that represent the best of the era's war and romance books:

War:

Star Spangled War Stories 151- first solo Unknown Soldier has a great Kubert cover. The BA war book!

G.I. Combat 138- the first appearance of the Losers (again Kubert cover)

Our Fighting Forces 123 - this is where the Losers start their BA run.

Romance:

"DC"s Triple Crown"

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 is the BA classic romance giant.

Super DC Giant 17 & 21 - 17 has a fantastic Nick Cardy cover while 21 has what I call the Bronze Age "One Hit Wonder," Armentano classic cover.

"Marvel's Picture Frame"

Marvel's My Love 14 is the only romance 25 cent square bound picture frame that has the classic Woodstock story and a fantastic Grey Morrow cover gray tone cover.

Be here all night if I had to list BA horror after beginning with HOS 92...

Best,

John

Black Panther #1

Iron Fist #1

Luke Cage #1

Inhumans #1

Nova #1

Defenders #1

Most of these "first issues" are way over printed and nothing much "key" about them besides being a 1st issue.

Much better bronze books to go after...especially pertaining to Black Panther and Inhumans.

Point taken, but BP #1 does have a certain artist that brings some form of attention to the industry, and what's not "key" about Nova #1 and Luke Cage #1 (both first appearances)?

Black Panther #1

Iron Fist #1

Luke Cage #1

Inhumans #1

Nova #1

Defenders #1

Point taken, but BP #1 does have a certain artist that brings some form of attention to the industry, and what's not "key" about Nova #1 and Luke Cage #1 (both first appearances)?

Oh well certainly The Nova and Luke are the keys of the bunch. I said "most" not "all"

I take 6 books with 2 being important...that equals 4 books that are not "key" beyond being a 1st issue. Basic math says "most"

You have a good point about the Kirby art on BP #1 but really by that point Kirby had drawn BP so many times...also his BP was very "off-beat" and odd (not characteristic of BP at all). Not saying that's a bad thing.

I was really just stressing to collectors not to focus to hard on "1st issues" because there overprinted and the only real people buying them are the investors cashing in a a 1st issue on a character with a movie or TV show and the Lemmings that do not know much about comic continuity that buy them thinking it's a long term investment.

The books go up with announcement...an example is Inhumans #1. It was a 5-10 book at best before any speculation. Why???

Because it's not a particularly good book, its common as dirt, and not really "key" pertaining to anything.

So pay 80.00 for a copy...see were that ends up in the long run. I say at best it will settle down to a 30-40.00 book and stay there for a lifetime.

Edited by Juice Head

"So pay 80.00 for a copy...see were that ends up in the long run. I say at best it will settle down to a 30-40.00 book and stay there for a lifetime."

Couldn't the same be said about the Class of 1968 Marvels (not first appearances, but some #1's), but they seem to be holding their own. Just sayn' (shrug)

"So pay 80.00 for a copy...see were that ends up in the long run. I say at best it will settle down to a 30-40.00 book and stay there for a lifetime."

Couldn't the same be said about the Class of 1968 Marvels (not first appearances, but some #1's), but they seem to be holding their own. Just sayn' (shrug)

Wait a minute! Are you actually comparing books like Iron Man 1, Sub-mariner 1, and Doctor strange 169 to books like Inhumans #1!?!?

Wow...that's hilarious.

No further comment.

Total dollar value-no. (It's always nice to have a conversation on a chat board. and have a boardie put words into your mouth?)

I am merely stating that it isn't inconceivable for the #1 issues that came out in the Bronze Age in 1972-1975 to maintain/increase values, much like certain books that came out in 1968 did.

You are already pulling out a crystal ball and slashing sales values in half. Fact is you don't know. Stop pretending you know. No one is impressed by guesses and hunches that can't be proven for a 'lifetime', (now THAT is hilarious). No point in hijacking this thread.

No further comment to your 'No further comment'.

The Bronze Age was more than the superhero genre and here are some keys that represent the best of the era's war and romance books:

War:

Star Spangled War Stories 151- first solo Unknown Soldier has a great Kubert cover. The BA war book!

Romance:

"DC"s Triple Crown"

Super DC Giant 17 & 21 - 17 has a fantastic Nick Cardy cover while 21 has what I call the Bronze Age "One Hit Wonder," Armentano classic cover.

"Marvel's Picture Frame"

Marvel's My Love 14 is the only romance 25 cent square bound picture frame that has the classic Woodstock story and a fantastic Grey Morrow cover gray tone cover.

Best,

John

I was waiting for that . . . :grin: Over the head of most of the current posters. (thumbs u

War:

Romance:

"DC"s Triple Crown"

"Marvel's Picture Frame"

Best,

John

I was waiting for that . . . :grin: Over the head of most of the current posters. (thumbs u

(thumbs u