• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics #1 Club
2 2

96 posts in this topic

Anyone surprised that the .5 slight/moderate restored copy on EBay finally sold for almost $11,000?

And how does a "Wrong BC and 3 sides trimmed" in addition to color touch and tear seals get slight/moderate??

Thoughts??

1 minute ago, burntboy said:

Anyone surprised that the .5 slight/moderate restored copy on EBay finally sold for almost $11,000?

And how does a "Wrong BC and 3 sides trimmed" in addition to color touch and tear seals get slight/moderate??

Thoughts??

I was !  Comic Mylars had it up forever.  Cover was really nice though.  There aren't a lot to choose from so I'm guessing it went to a good home of a pretty big Flash fan. Congrats to him or her. It's still a Flash Comics #1 !!!!

35 minutes ago, streyouttacomics said:

Beautiful copy! (thumbsu

So with that .5 copy on ebay sold, does that mean no copies on the public market currently? hm

I believe that is correct,  What do you think a Universal ,5 would be worth ?  I know one sold on Ebay for 8500 right before this one but I would think that's a minimum a 10k book ----you could certainly argue legitimately asking for 12k  at this point (maybe 15k?)

Edited by Chicago Boy

13 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I believe that is correct,  What do you think a Universal ,5 would be worth ?  I know one sold on Ebay for 8500 right before this one but I would think that's a minimum a 10k book ----you could certainly argue legitimately asking for  at this point (maybe 15k?)

sounds fair, and one should also consider that the one on ebay was on the lower end of a .5 id say, missing 2cfs plus a 6th page on top of having BP. Whereas, some .5s can just be missing the back cover with better PQ etc.

On 6/21/2017 at 8:17 PM, burntboy said:

Thoughts??

Or you could ask how does a book get a ,5 and still be called "restored".   

Edited by bluechip

11 hours ago, streyouttacomics said:

sounds fair, and one should also consider that the one on ebay was on the lower end of a .5 id say, missing 2cfs plus a 6th page on top of having BP. Whereas, some .5s can just be missing the back cover with better PQ etc.

True, it's just that Flash 1's in any condition are hard to come by (restored or not) There are 3 .5 Universal copies on the census and this one from Voldy makes it #4  so we are talking about 4/31 or so Universal copies (census wise)

On 6/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, streyouttacomics said:

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 can be so tiny you need an electron microscope to determine it and even then you can find examples where the grade went the other way.   But the differences between one .5 and another can be so obvious and so numerous you would need several pages to describe them all.   

Edited by bluechip

1 minute ago, bluechip said:

The difference between a 9.6 and 9.8 can be so tiny you need an electron microscope to determine it and even then you can find examples where the grade went the other way.   But the differences between one .5 and another can be so obvious and so numerous you would need several pages to describe them all.   

True.  My point was there just aren't a lot of opportunities or options with . 5 Universal Flash 1.  3 on the census and 31 total in all universal grades.  It's not like an AF 15 where you can wait for the "right one ". 

10K as an entry point isn't all that shocking IMO. It's been a long time coming and I suspect we will see this tradition continue for classic, mega key GA books.

Slabbing has been going on for nearly 20 years and census-wise, there's not much supply. Prices have continued to escalate, driving mega key GA books out of collections and still, not much is happening census-wise.

When 0.5 copies of non-Batman/Superman books push five-figures, it makes it harder and harder for collectors to keep copies in private collections. The fact that these books are still tough to come by may be a testament to their rarity.

Hadn't revisited this thread in awhile.   Some really good questions have gone unanswered by the GA community.

1. How does a book with color touch, pieces added by tape, all 3 sides trimmed and the WRONG BACK COVER get graded as slight/moderate?

2. How does a book get a restored APPARENT grade of .5 that looks pretty darn good??

3. What happened to this book that got sold for $10,800, then shows up a month later being sold by the same seller for $14,500?? 

Inquiring minds want to know...