• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Comics #1 Club
2 2

96 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, burntboy said:

Hadn't revisited this thread in awhile.   Some really good questions have gone unanswered by the GA community.

1. How does a book with color touch, pieces added by tape, all 3 sides trimmed and the WRONG BACK COVER get graded as slight/moderate?

2. How does a book get a restored APPARENT grade of .5 that looks pretty darn good??

3. What happened to this book that got sold for $10,800, then shows up a month later being sold by the same seller for $14,500?? 

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks Burntboy,  I've had the same questions   GPA still has this book being sold at $10,800. 

3 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Thanks Burntboy,  I've had the same questions   GPA still has this book being sold at $10,800. 

Let's take this one step further;

If instead of a WRONG BC, let's think of the same book with the correct BC but with significant amount of piece repair.   

If professionally done, would the books restored grade jump due to it's APPARENT good looks??

BUT, at the same time get the dreaded EXTENSIVE resto notation??

Still perplexed in Pennsylvania...

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, burntboy said:

Let's take this one step further;

If instead of a WRONG BC, let's think of the same book with the correct BC but with significant amount of piece repair.   

If professionally done, would the books restored grade jump due to it's APPARENT good looks??

BUT, at the same time get the dreaded EXTENSIVE resto notation??

Still perplexed in Pennsylvania...

No love for Jay Garrick on the boards (shrug) 

10 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I was surprised by the result as well especially with that edge dust shadow... I'm wondering if the bidders know that the golden age flash is not Barry Allen :p

It has become common to dismiss certain characters (books) as "not the popular version you'd expect." Jay Garrick isn't Barry Allen, Alan Scott isn't Hal Jordan, but it's just as fair to point out the obvious:

The Batman we know doesn't use a gun, break necks or kick people off of buildings.

The Superman we know doesn't doesn't dress up a like a miner to crash a wealthy socialite party, he wouldn't drive a car and intentionally crash into another driver just to get himself arrested.

So much has changed in these characters from the GA to today. Yes, a different name/origin is a difference more glaring at first sight, but if you're going to knock Flash Comics #1 and All-American Comics #16 as "not the true/popular Flash and Green Lantern", then you have to knock Detective Comics #27 as well.

The Batman we know wouldn't mock "a fitting end for his kind."

28 minutes ago, Wayne-Tec said:

It has become common to dismiss certain characters (books) as "not the popular version you'd expect." Jay Garrick isn't Barry Allen, Alan Scott isn't Hal Jordan, but it's just as fair to point out the obvious:

The Batman we know doesn't use a gun, break necks or kick people off of buildings.

The Superman we know doesn't doesn't dress up a like a miner to crash a wealthy socialite party, he wouldn't drive a car and intentionally crash into another driver just to get himself arrested.

So much has changed in these characters from the GA to today. Yes, a different name/origin is a difference more glaring at first sight, but if you're going to knock Flash Comics #1 and All-American Comics #16 as "not the true/popular Flash and Green Lantern", then you have to knock Detective Comics #27 as well.

Well said! (thumbsu wouldn't have the characters we know and love today without the originals 

Edited by streyouttacomics

This is one book I have always wanted since I was a kid and saw the oversized DC Treasury edition.   Prices are so high now for this book, I doubt I will ever own a copy for myself even in low grade.  I always enjoy seeing it though when it comes up for auction. :)

6 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Yes, unpopular characters who do not show up in movies and tv shows are being dismissed, but will always remain important figures for true comic book enthusiasts.  Without Jay Garrick, there probably wouldn't be a Barry Allen, without Alan Scott there probably wouldn't be a Hal Jordan.  I was just poking fun, which I do a lot if you haven't seen my sig line yet :p, about how some prospective buyers do not know everything regarding the book itself.  When they see a #1 issue, their mind automatically jumps to the "I have to own it" mentality without looking into the characters, content, etc.  Maybe they think that the character from the GA Flash is the same as the SA Flash, kinda like how the GA Captain America is still the same character from the SA and beyond.  I do like to own a Flash Comics #1 one day.  It's been one of my top wants in my wantlist for years now and still have not owned a copy, maybe that will change soon *wink wink*

I loved the GA Batman and today's portrayal of Batman.  I like the dark figure roaming in the night, the vigilante who casts fear on criminals.  A figure of the night.  As a collector, the pre-robin tecs really set off my interest, i just loved the cover artwork.  Batman will always be the one of the three top DC characters that will never go out of fashion and will always create interest of all ages for years to come.  

It is a classic book and character. But being a person who once owned one and read it several times, I don't consider it a classic "must have" book. I would also put Green Lantern in that camp. I have never owned a Dectective #27 though. That would be a keeper. I also had More Fun #52 and 53. I sold them when I bought my first house. I really miss them as I love the darkness that is the Spectre as much as the Batman.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

It is a classic book and character. But being a person who once owned one and read it several times, I don't consider it a classic "must have" book. I would also put Green Lantern in that camp. I have never owned a Dectective #27 though. That would be a keeper. I also had More Fun #52 and 53. I sold them when I bought my first house. I really miss them as I love the darkness that is the Spectre as much as the Batman.

Agreed!  I used to own a low graded copy of MF #52, but sold it :(.  I wish I can have it back, such a cool book to own.

13 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

I don't think I can get behind this logic.   

Sure, characters will evolve and change over the years.  

But the likes of the GA Flash and Green Lantern were summarily abandoned by their publishers for new creations and character identities, and it is those characters that have subsequently changed and evolved, but have ultimately survived the test of time and become ingrained in pop culture.  

-J.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

But the likes of the GA Flash and Green Lantern were summarily abandoned by their publishers for new creations and character identities, and it is those characters that have subsequently changed and evolved, but have ultimately survived the test of time and become ingrained in pop culture.  

-J.

As I said before, different names and costumes are more glaring differences upon first inspection, but in this case, are not drastically different from the changes Batman and Superman have gone through.

Batman is, in some ways, just as a different from the "a fitting end for his kind"/gun-using/neck-breaking Batman as Jay Garrick is from Wally West. There is a lot more to a character than birth names and costume designs.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

I'm with jaydogrules on this one (thumbsu

3 hours ago, woowoo said:

I'm with jaydogrules on this one (thumbsu

Garrick vs. Allen is a bigger difference than Batman (Tec #27) vs. Batman 2017. However, if the differential of the former makes Flash Comics #1 less desirable, than Tec #27 has to take a blow in desirability as well, since that Batman is distant from the one we know and love today.

3 hours ago, Wayne-Tec said:

Garrick vs. Allen is a bigger difference than Batman (Tec #27) vs. Batman 2017. However, if the differential of the former makes Flash Comics #1 less desirable, than Tec #27 has to take a blow in desirability as well, since that Batman is distant from the one we know and love today.

I get back on you on that. I had 1 to many :tink:and playing ping pong.