• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Flagship book?

122 posts in this topic

I would say this one is close to the heart because the search for a decent copy took a very long time.I have always been into black based covers which are harder to find because they show everything.

dynamic.jpg

I would say this one is close to the heart because the search for a decent copy took a very long time.I have always been into black based covers which are harder to find because they show everything.

dynamic.jpg

That looks amazing (worship)

Pretty neat books in this thread so far. Pretty hard to top a Bat 1, that sweet Frazetta sig story (I was also gonna mention the ink bleed but I see someone beat me to it!!), and a first book bought off the racks which just so happens to be such an AWESOME book. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this book again I have shared it several times but this would definitely be considered my, "FLAG"ship book. I remember when I got into GA books I had located an All American 61 and I was enthralled with finding books that had monsters on them or had patriotic covers given how entrenched we were into the war at the time of these books and when the 2 ideas got mixed how cool the covers could be. I had typed in Flag covers and somehow got an image of Our Flag Comics and saw the #5. I instantly put it on my watch list on eBay. Guess what...not a single copy ever popped up. It took me quite a while to learn that this book was pretty tough to locate. I joined the boards and saw 2 different copies and the obsession with finding one became even greater. Finally landed this copy and it was low grade but presented nicely which fit so well into my collection that I had already acquired in the meantime. The fact that the word Flag is in the title is only coincidence :D

18745080772_47584779f0_b.jpg

My favorite book

marvel%202%20new%20copy%20pencil%20erased_zpsfize0g38.jpg

It's a great book, but what's always fascinated me about the cover is that the city is being blown to hell and gone and what is the Angel doing about it? Looks like he might be able to bring down one of the enemy planes. :D

Pretty neat books in this thread so far. Pretty hard to top a Bat 1, that sweet Frazetta sig story (I was also gonna mention the ink bleed but I see someone beat me to it!!), and a first book bought off the racks which just so happens to be such an AWESOME book. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this book again I have shared it several times but this would definitely be considered my, "FLAG"ship book. I remember when I got into GA books I had located an All American 61 and I was enthralled with finding books that had monsters on them or had patriotic covers given how entrenched we were into the war at the time of these books and when the 2 ideas got mixed how cool the covers could be. I had typed in Flag covers and somehow got an image of Our Flag Comics and saw the #5. I instantly put it on my watch list on eBay. Guess what...not a single copy ever popped up. It took me quite a while to learn that this book was pretty tough to locate. I joined the boards and saw 2 different copies and the obsession with finding one became even greater. Finally landed this copy and it was low grade but presented nicely which fit so well into my collection that I had already acquired in the meantime. The fact that the word Flag is in the title is only coincidence :D

Look at how huge that hypo is. It's bigger than the poor soldier's head!

Since I'm a horror guy, my choice would be this book. Reasons include it being one of the best representations of the genre and also because it was a very early purchase. Before I found one I had thought it unattainable. This book made me realize that almost everything is attainable with the right amount of time, patience and (of course) money. It was a turning point in my collecting that some of the big books were not out of my reach.

WeirdMysteries5_zpscc2827e2.jpg

this thread has a lot of potential, cool idea. this is the book that sent my ga addiction to hyperdrive and unless i upgrade the one that will be with me till the end.

Punch%2012_zps5kkoxcpe.jpg

I hear you

great book Gino!I will always remember AllAmerican as your book,remember you showing that off like yesterday.I fell in love with that book.

I have been thinking about this ever since Grantley started this thread. This is a tough one because I would consider Phantom Lady 18 to be the one comic that really got me going in the genre I like now, but the copy I currently own will leave me as soon as I can find a better one, so I don't think that it would be my current "flagship" book. All Top 16 and Planet 65 are highly important to me as well and I have copies I feel good about with those.

I am picking my copy of Airboy Volume 4 Number 8 as my flagship book because out of every book I own I think it would be the last one I sell.

Why?

1. I love women in peril covers - Check

2. I prefer when I get to buy a beautiful copy in the raw over encapsulated- Check (although I encapsulated later)

3. Chick strapped to flying contraption is my #1 favorite sub genre- Check

4. Slightly over-sized fat GA comics are really cool- Check

5. Possibly the best copy on the planet- Check

IMG_8847.jpgimage url upload

This one is easy for me. Back in the early 70's I was already an avid comic fan, a kid with a jean jacket in desperate need of a haircut, when I discovered Frank Frazetta's fantastic art gracing the covers of the Ace Burroughs paperbacks and the Lancer editions of R.E. Howard. I was an artist myself and the inspiration that Frazetta stuff exuded really lit a fire under my arse. It wasn't long before I discovered his roots in the comic book medium. Back then this was a very pricey book..... it was actually more expensive than an FF1 or AF 15 at one time....... never figured I'd ever own one of these.... much less one with his autograph on the splash :cloud9: In a low point of my life I sold this book to make ends meet.... to another boardie who promised to give me first shot if he ever needed to let it go. One day, out of the blue, my boardie friend contacted me and offered it back for less than I sold it to him for.... which I refused, I insisted he not lose one penny on the book. I'll always be indebted to Crassus for being a man of his word.... but you know, many of us comic geeks are, for some reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

very nice Jimbo. Frazetta has a very clean signature and penmanship

Since it's my book, I'm biased...... but this sig is pretty tight. I've seen a few different variations..... he sometimes uses a ballpoint pen that incorporate small ovals in the "F"s. I'm pretty sure this book was once the book of a notable Burroughs expert who was very active in that area of fandom..... a personal friend of Frazetta who published a couple of his very early portfolios. He obviously took his time on this one. The Borroughs connection makes it especially prized, since that was how I first discovered his work. Thanks for the kind words..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u