• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Flagship book?

122 posts in this topic

Great deserving choices being selected here by all :golfclap: This one would be mine. Long desired a copy, and the story of the way i came to acquire it i have shared MANY times so i won't bore you all with that again, but i will ALWAYS say thank you to Dr. Love :foryou:

The fact that it's a Windy City pedigree (a collection whose story touched and intrigued me), along with it being a 'historical' piece of sorts given the time of it's publication only adds to the great pride i have with owning this book.

imagejpg1_zps5ed51adf.jpg

Not my most expensive book but this definitely represents the core of my collecting interest. Favorite cover and favorite comic book artist from the genre I like most.

Ken

FF%20213_zpsshyc2afn.jpg

Jeez, you sure that's not a reprint?

Great deserving choices being selected here by all :golfclap: This one would be mine. Long desired a copy, and the story of the way i came to acquire it i have shared MANY times so i won't bore you all with that again, but i will ALWAYS say thank you to Dr. Love :foryou:

The fact that it's a Windy City pedigree (a collection whose story touched and intrigued me), along with it being a 'historical' piece of sorts given the time of it's publication only adds to the great pride i have with owning this book.

So cool! I still want one.

:applause:

With Cat's collection, I'd be hard pressed to choose a Flagship Short Box :insane: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, I did omit a couple of FINE Flagships due to space (short box cutbacks)... groucho.gif

Bee Class Bruisin' Cruiser...

84c714e8-9a3c-4572-a7bf-b309a2dbfd77_zpsvpybtkrn.jpg

Hercules Class Battleship...

89519974-88c5-4468-bb3a-563c1264d1eb_zpsw3jem8sj.jpg

David, your collection makes me want to be a better collector....

You are too kind, sir. :headbang:

Great book. I'm still looking for a copy.

Great thread; I cant summarize in one book as I have two - This for me was and is a grail. It means more to me than an Action 1 would; (for real), and my other two grails are a Flash 1 and Whiz 1..why , well these were the stories I loved most from the Treasury edition books growing up; for some reason Wonder woman with the mythology, Shazam with the kid having powers and Flash using science and being human but seemingly unstoppable were all appealing...have turned down v good offers for this one, its not going anywhere any time soon...

WW1%20cgc%208.0_zpsugj5tkbb.jpg

This was a book I did not know about until I started getting back into serious collecting ; one of the two highest graded (this one has a better wrap!); but this book is filled with history, a one off, written, drawn and published by a black man who once the paper suppliers found out he was black would not sell him the stuff to make a second issue. A link to a (?) different time. Once I got this I got a call from a Black University to do an interview about the book...all very cool

AllNegroComics.jpg

Just awsome books being posted here. Many I also have and many I wish I had...

I'm going to disapoint a lot of people here with my little insignifficant entry. But after reading the first post carefully and giving it some thought, I just have to post this paltry book.

If I want to define myself as a collector this has to be it. It isn't rare or high grade or expensive and nothing to brag about but as a 10 year old kid, it just blew my mind.

I read a lot of comics but didn't really "collect" them. My grandpa bought me MAD #72 and I fell in love. I just had to have them all. I had most of the magazines by trading with kids in the neighborhood. My dad took me to Cherokee books in Hollywood and I spied this in a bag thumbtacked to the wall in a cleaners bag. I paid $2.00 for it (about a months worth of allowance). I had no idea MAD was a comic book before turning into a magazine and it was a single digit issue!

This was the first time I ever spent more than cover price on a comic. Really turned me into the collector I am today. Through it, I discovered, ECs, horror, scif-fi, good girl art and all the books I treasure to this day.

So, even though I have tons of "better" and more expensive key books, this is the one that turned the tide. The exact book pictured is probably my "flagship" book and one of the most important books in my collection.

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

I'm going to disapoint a lot of people here with my little insignifficant entry. But after reading the first post carefully and giving it some thought, I just have to post this paltry book.

If I want to define myself as a collector this has to be it. It isn't rare or high grade or expensive and nothing to brag about but as a 10 year old kid, it just blew my mind.

I read a lot of comics but didn't really "collect" them. My grandpa bought me MAD #72 and I fell in love. I just had to have them all. I had most of the magazines by trading with kids in the neighborhood. My dad took me to Cherokee books in Hollywood and I spied this in a bag thumbtacked to the wall in a cleaners bag. I paid $2.00 for it (about a months worth of allowance). I had no idea MAD was a comic book before turning into a magazine and it was a single digit issue!

This was the first time I ever spent more than cover price on a comic. Really turned me into the collector I am today. Through it, I discovered, ECs, horror, scif-fi, good girl art and all the books I treasure to this day.

So, even though I have tons of "better" and more expensive key books, this is the one that turned the tide. The exact book pictured is probably my "flagship" book and one of the most important books in my collection.

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

I really like that story. I thought about putting one of my 1970's Peanuts paperbacks on here.

commad9_zpsuxmqj7nb.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story. That's a true flagship because it led the way for you. (thumbs u

Great story and book, thanks for sharing that!

This one is easy for me. Back in the early 70's I was already an avid comic fan, a kid with a jean jacket in desperate need of a haircut, when I discovered Frank Frazetta's fantastic art gracing the covers of the Ace Burroughs paperbacks and the Lancer editions of R.E. Howard. I was an artist myself and the inspiration that Frazetta stuff exuded really lit a fire under my arse. It wasn't long before I discovered his roots in the comic book medium. Back then this was a very pricey book..... it was actually more expensive than an FF1 or AF 15 at one time....... never figured I'd ever own one of these.... much less one with his autograph on the splash :cloud9: In a low point of my life I sold this book to make ends meet.... to another boardie who promised to give me first shot if he ever needed to let it go. One day, out of the blue, my boardie friend contacted me and offered it back for less than I sold it to him for.... which I refused, I insisted he not lose one penny on the book. I'll always be indebted to Crassus for being a man of his word.... but you know, many of us comic geeks are, for some reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

This is a great story! :applause: to Crassus for giving you first crack at it and to you for making sure he was covered.