• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Flagship book?

122 posts in this topic

Unfortunately I don't qualify to post a book here really because my GA collection is not only very small but pretty grim :cry:

However the GOLD CONNECTIONS thread has thrown up some pretty amazing books from some serious collectors.

What do you consider is your flagship book? A book that not only do you possess but consider defines you as a collector or your relationship to this great hobby.

Or a book which has a special place in your heart and a great back story to it, which ties in with your place in the hobby.

Could be interesting hm

Thank you for this thread...never miss the opportunity to display the first

Comic Book I ever bought off the newsstand in 1942.

<a  href=https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2938/14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg' alt='14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg'>IMG ALL WINNERS #4

mm

Thank you for this thread...never miss the opportunity to display the first

Comic Book I ever bought off the newsstand in 1942.

<a  href=https://c2.staticflickr.com/3/2938/14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg' alt='14171886545_f1d87ce66d.jpg'>IMG ALL WINNERS #4

mm

Nice, Marty!

This one is easy for me. Back in the early 70's I was already an avid comic fan, a kid with a jean jacket in desperate need of a haircut, when I discovered Frank Frazetta's fantastic art gracing the covers of the Ace Burroughs paperbacks and the Lancer editions of R.E. Howard. I was an artist myself and the inspiration that Frazetta stuff exuded really lit a fire under my arse. It wasn't long before I discovered his roots in the comic book medium. Back then this was a very pricey book..... it was actually more expensive than an FF1 or AF 15 at one time....... never figured I'd ever own one of these.... much less one with his autograph on the splash :cloud9: In a low point of my life I sold this book to make ends meet.... to another boardie who promised to give me first shot if he ever needed to let it go. One day, out of the blue, my boardie friend contacted me and offered it back for less than I sold it to him for.... which I refused, I insisted he not lose one penny on the book. I'll always be indebted to Crassus for being a man of his word.... but you know, many of us comic geeks are, for some reason. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

This one is easy for me. Back in the early 70's I was already an avid comic fan, a kid with a jean jacket in desperate need of a haircut, when I discovered Frank Frazetta's fantastic art gracing the covers of the Ace Burroughs paperbacks and the Lancer editions of R.E. Howard. I was an artist myself and the inspiration that Frazetta stuff exuded really lit a fire under my arse. It wasn't long before I discovered his roots in the comic book medium. Back then this was a very pricey book..... it was actually more expensive than an FF1 or AF 15 at one time....... never figured I'd ever own one of these.... much less one with his autograph on the splash :cloud9: In a low point of my life I sold this book to make ends meet.... to another boardie who promised to give me first shot if he ever needed to let it go. One day, out of the blue, my boardie friend contacted me and offered it back for less than I sold it to him for.... which I refused, I insisted he not lose one penny on the book. I'll always be indebted to Crassus for being a man of his word.... but you know, many of us comic geeks are, for some reason. GOD BLESS....

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

Awesome story Jimbo! Every part of it.

photo cb71d735-d96c-4906-ad4f-d2644c89e528_zpsbfc93003.jpgThis was my very first Flash Comic purchase. It is the Flagship issue for me.It captures the zeitgeist of the comic book reader with all the war themes.

photo ee00a2a3-421b-4abf-a1cd-612a11d88814_zpsab3dfe8d.jpg"The Man Who Could Read Faces," by Gardner Fox and art by Lou Ferstadt, is one of the top five GA Flash stories in my opinion. All of the Lou Ferstadt Flash stories in the series are worth checking out if you are new to the series (34,36,38-44,49). They all are excellent. The other stories in the anthology from the early war era represents some of the best of the whole series.photo 244317df-e931-48be-9dc5-55d8e896e0e1_zps84679a58.jpgphoto 90d91c61-c36a-4c84-ab97-96938cefda18_zps417d5bda.jpgphoto 9082682d-cc2f-405f-8ec0-4c9260821d8d_zps6ff91c95.jpgphoto cba56368-5d19-4163-90f7-11825fb58329_zpsf70428a1.jpgphoto ab955198-0dfe-49c2-ad63-23dcc76309ff_zps1d2bb477.jpg

The Hawkman story is titled: "Give Them the Bird".

Beautiful book, Marty!

Grantley, based on the way you fleshed out the question, I'll go with neither my most valuable or rarest.

I've always said that if I had to sell everything for some reason, the two hardest to let go of would be one of my copies of Avengers 4 and my Flash 123.

To me, these two underappreciated books (and I don't just mean value) symbolize the blowing open of the doors for everything I've enjoyed in comics over the last several decades. That whole concept of continuity and a "universe/multiverse" really blossoms with the melding of the golden and silver age worlds.

So that's my cornerstone; they symbolize everything I've grown to love in comics, before and after they came out, better than anything else I can think of.

Beautiful book, Marty!

Grantley, based on the way you fleshed out the question, I'll go with neither my most valuable or rarest.

I've always said that if I had to sell everything for some reason, the two hardest to let go of would be one of my copies of Avengers 4 and my Flash 123.

To me, these two underappreciated books (and I don't just mean value) symbolize the blowing open of the doors for everything I've enjoyed in comics over the last several decades. That whole concept of continuity and a "universe/multiverse" really blossoms with the melding of the golden and silver age worlds.

So that's my cornerstone; they symbolize everything I've grown to love in comics, before and after they came out, better than anything else I can think of.

...a super good reason for your choice...... I actually have a SA book that is in the permanent short stack for those same reasons, Fantastic Four 13..... GOD BLESS...

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

very nice Jimbo. Frazetta has a very clean signature and penmanship

scan0004-12.jpg

scan0005-15.jpg

I like how the ink has bled throughout the sig only to add to it's magnificence.