• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Nice write up, Dave! The Hulk focus makes a lot of sense now. But why 227? First Hulk comic you ever read?

Thank you! I don’t think it was the first book I read as I was reading (or looking at the pictures) a lot of comics from a very young age every month when I went to the barbershop with my dad. I also bought the 3-packs where the covers had been removed. As such, I would have read earlier issues but this was the first I pulled off a spinner rack and purchased. I remember leafing through it and before I realized what was actually happening in the issue it appeared that Hulk had killed the Avengers, wrecked Iron Man’s armor, and destroyed Thor’s hammer. I read the cover off the issue and appreciated it even more for the story and great art by Sal and Klaus. 227 through the early 230’s and the Cap crossovers are all-time favorite issues. Would love to track a page down in the Cap issues with the Hulk on it.

35 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Thank you! I don’t think it was the first book I read as I was reading (or looking at the pictures) a lot of comics from a very young age every month when I went to the barbershop with my dad. I also bought the 3-packs where the covers had been removed. As such, I would have read earlier issues but this was the first I pulled off a spinner rack and purchased. I remember leafing through it and before I realized what was actually happening in the issue it appeared that Hulk had killed the Avengers, wrecked Iron Man’s armor, and destroyed Thor’s hammer. I read the cover off the issue and appreciated it even more for the story and great art by Sal and Klaus. 227 through the early 230’s and the Cap crossovers are all-time favorite issues. Would love to track a page down in the Cap issues with the Hulk on it.

Ah! That issue sounds like a lot of fun. It's no wonder. I think I'll track down that issue.

When reading about your opinion on the Kirby Avenger's page, I was a little surprised to see no mention of the heavily discussed (on these forums anyway) potential future legal ramifications of buying and selling Kirby art. Maybe it was too much to get into? Or maybe your opinion is that those concerns aren't really influencing buyers?

Edited by SquareChaos

@SquareChaos Yeah I didn't want to overload readers as this article already covers quite a few pieces/artists. I might include it in a Kirby spotlight, where if the situation warrants, attention can be focused on the issue. I don't see this matter particularly affecting supply and demand of pre-'70s Kirby OA at the moment.

I find the price drop to page 7 of Action Comics interesting. I interpret the $900 as a huge market correction. When it sold for $1,777 in February 2016, it was one month before the release of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, back when it was 55/45 that it was going to be a stinker. Wasn't it about a month before its release that the new trailers revealed that Doomsday was going to appear in the film? If everyone was like me, I was quite surprised by it. I noticed how the 1st appearance of Doomsday issue rose in value (I dumped mine at a good price) between then and the film's release. I see the $1,777 hammer price purely driven by hype and speculation and the seller milked that page for all he could. A year later, now that we now that we've seen how fans and critics pummeled the movie and how {spoiler} Doomsday's no longer going be around, the speculative interest has inevitably cooled on a page like that. I'd be interested to know why the previous owner decided to put it up on auction in such a short time despite that it's a really nice page though with the type of detail you come to expect from Butch. $900 is the right price for it, but I'd love for it to go up on auction again a year from now so that I can pick it up for $450 :nyah: