• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

having the estimates posted in advance  will help for comparison sake -but at the same time - as with the comic art ads heritage weekly estimates - the only problem I see is that posting pre-estimates creates a subjective anchor.   Whenever heritage for example has auction estimates, or anyone has any kind of estimate  -that number will influence the final outcome.  

this is a proven (by experiment) phenomenon.   check out the short link below, and if you find it interesting -check out Dan Ariely's new book Dollars and Sense which goes over this stuff in a much deeper way.  The anchoring effect is especially likely for items whose price is more subjective.

anchoring effect video

money sense book talk

5 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Interesting Panelfan1!  I wasn't aware of that research. 

If folks end up being concerned about any influence I may have on, for example, the final outcome of an auction for John Calnan Superboy art, please let me know. 

I plan to focus on pieces that typically are not widely debated on these boards.  Cheers, Lee

I've been a fan of Dan Ariely's work since 2008 or 09. Very interesting concepts overall, wasn't aware of the new book. Agree that anchoring (a version of flock seeking savior behavior) is highly-influential on final outcomes. Here's a non-hobby quote pulled out of context...but doesn't it just read "comic art"?

Other markets that structurally lack a basis for valuation are even more susceptible to momentum swings because the main indicator of future value is the market’s perception of recent value.

Like the minority, I could do without the pre-auction estimates. I'd prefer a comp list instead. 

Anyway, like the veteran collectors have said many times here: it just takes two people to bid it up; sometimes the bidding is emotional; if you take the high bidder out of the equation next time, what are you left with?; and, one crazy auction doesn't make it a market. That said, I don't even take the investment angle into consideration.

Otherwise, It's a great market report for specific auctions I don't follow. The conversations that ensue afterward are just as informative too. 2c

Great Report as always .

Ive always stayed away from pencils and  inks in separate boards.  Not my cup of tea. But I always pegged the pencils to be more desirable. Lately I read some comments on these boards indicatating the contrary.

Are we seeing a paradigm shift as to pencil and inks on separate boards?

23 minutes ago, Matches_Malone said:

Great Report as always .

Ive always stayed away from pencils and  inks in separate boards.  Not my cup of tea. But I always pegged the pencils to be more desirable. Lately I read some comments on these boards indicatating the contrary.

I don't follow TWD, didn't pay attention to this auction. Was this the only time pencils and inks were offered separately in the auction? Or did this article highlight the only time that the inks went for more than the pencils?

In any case, one auction result does not result in a paradigm shift.

7 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

I don't follow TWD, didn't pay attention to this auction. Was this the only time pencils and inks were offered separately in the auction? Or did this article highlight the only time that the inks went for more than the pencils?

Haven't read the article yet (will in a moment), but that's an interesting choice (consignor's or House's?) to list them separately. I hope this does not set a precedent for others to follow. In my naivete, I'd hoped these newer works that were sold together would stay together. At least for a longer time than just a few years.

Obviously, my (and likely everyone else's) first preference would be to own both, but barring that I've always said that my default preference is to go with the inked, closest-to-the-published-image page. This isn't a hard and fast rule, there are certain artists where I think I'd prefer the penciled page over the inked, but I think they're the exception and not the rule... I haven't empirically put my money where my mouth is on that one as of yet.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Great Report as always .

Glad you liked it! Will be interesting to see where pencil/ink valuations go from here. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, Hal Turner said:

Yes this was the only time pencils and inks were offered separately in the auction.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, delekkerste said:

Not sure I would call $19.1K for that page "mighty"...I know the consignor sure didn't think it was. :eek: 

Hm looking at it again, I can see why the seller might have expected more.

Edited by Dick O.

10 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 29/12/17

Visit to Illustration House and interview with gallerist/collector Zaddick Longenbach is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/29/visit-to-illustration-house-and-interview-with-zaddick-longenbach/

That Daredevil #10 cover. Wow. 

Looks like the Illustration House is a great place for a meet up. Thanks for the profile. Any chance you’ll do a field report on the NY Comic Art Con? I’d like to express my interest as someone on the west coast who can’t attend. 

What is the future of illustration house?  Will there be a new website? The gallery seems to be closed except by appointment? 

Anyone know? 

They always have cool stuff - but I know that vintage illustration is not on fire right now the way vintage comic art is.  

On 12/31/2017 at 12:54 AM, O. said:

New Article - 29/12/17

Visit to Illustration House and interview with gallerist/collector Zaddick Longenbach is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/29/visit-to-illustration-house-and-interview-with-zaddick-longenbach/

21 hours ago, vodou said:

Haven't read it yet but already know: COOL :)

17 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

What is the future of illustration house?  Will there be a new website? The gallery seems to be closed except by appointment? 

Anyone know? 

They always have cool stuff - but I know that vintage illustration is not on fire right now the way vintage comic art is.  

Zaddick is pretty negative on mainstream fine art gallery/museum acceptance of comic/illustration art. I think was surprised by that and tried more than once to get a different answer. I appreciate Zaddick's honesty which goes against the grain of what I see on this board often. Likewise his impression that new character fans are being generated by performance media not print. That thread wasn't explored deeper in the interview, but we all wonder if anybody (under the present age of 20) is really going to buy all this "stuff" we paid so much for. If they do, it won't be because they came to be obsessive fans by filling long boxes full of complete back issue runs.

Putting that to the side, the future of Illustration House sales/auctions probably depends a lot of how they can position themselves to consignors (estates especially) positively against Heritage. The Martignette Estate going to Heritage, think about the lost fee generation and brand value/prestige...and Charles had been IH's customer (buying and selling) for decades. I'm sure others were watching that play out.

17 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

15 hours ago, aokartman said:

Their CAF Art For Sale gallery seems to be live.....I just went through over 100 pieces, all priced, and some nice stuff!

Agree with both of you, lots of great/interesting art. Plenty of fun priced in the hundreds. And I think that stuff, all quality imagery and by price alone, has enough honey to always draw the necessary number of flies. The question is my mind is how many of you would leap at (buy) "nice stuff" - with no other connection to anything you're into - in the four figure category? If it's not many of you, that's part of the problem there, that the prices are tiered on a model that many of us don't get* and when list price exceeds obvious visual fun factor, we check out...look but don't touch.. Certainly there's no shortage of folks around here that would scratch their head at how one (fine art) abstract can be priced at $5k and another (seemingly quite similar in all ways) will hammer at heated auction for $5m. This is the same scenario. Right? Maybe I'm all hot air...somebody, hopefully a bunch of you, please shoot me down.

* Artists we don't follow/collect, appreciation for vintage magazines/advertising that we don't buy into the same as previous generations did, etc.