• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, O. said:

New Article - 9/2/18

Report on last week's ComicLink Focused Auction is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/02/09/market-report-february-2018-comiclink-focused-auction/

Argh!  The Ramos art was very jarring and hurt my eyes.  Please do not show any more examples in your market reports!!!

Nice work getting good-looking and thoughtful content published on a regular basis!  These are always fun reads. 

It's interesting that you compared the Star Wars #9 cover to a Star Wars #35 cover by Infantino.  I think the first half-dozen or so issues after the Star Wars movie adaptation are fairly magical and almost seem to be cut from the same cloth as the movie adaptation, interior art-wise.  I can appreciate the later Infantino art, and some of the inking by Austin was quite nice, but I would take one of the early Star Wars covers or interiors any day over an Infantino cover or interior, and likely pay the premium, assuming I had that kind of money to spend.

Best regards, Lee

another interesting report.

the one item on the list that I was actually very keen on was the Lee X-men.  But after winning some other stuff to be posted soon, I couldn't go to 15k on a page.   The reason I am talking about this page here is your comment about the team not having their regular costumes. For me, the costumes in that issue make this more special as that Jim Lee run with the 'new costumes' was so cool when it came out and is preferable for me as a collector of art. It will be interesting to see what happens with UXM 248 cover coming up in the next big heritage auction. Not Lee's best X-cover, but it is his first.

the other piece I did not win,but which I was initially excited about and wanted to go after was the Bill S Elektra painting.   not sure if the final hammer price was good or bad - but the off-centered image (all the way on the right) kept me from bidding higher.   I loved the way he painted Elektra, but that blank space beside her was going to bother me if I ever had the chance to hang it on my walls.

8 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

the other piece I did not win,but which I was initially excited about and wanted to go after was the Bill S Elektra painting.   not sure if the final hammer price was good or bad - but the off-centered image (all the way on the right) kept me from bidding higher.   I loved the way he painted Elektra, but that blank space beside her was going to bother me if I ever had the chance to hang it on my walls.

The Bill S Elektra painting was sold by a dealer a couple/few years ago for a lot higher than what it just sold for at CLink.  I had a chance to buy it then, but, ended up passing on it because I was unfamiliar with the image until the dealer showed it to me, and so it just didn't strike a chord with me nostalgically (even though it is quite striking).  And, plus, the price tag was quite large for an image that wasn't very well known.  I think the price it fetched the other week was a much more realistic level; pretty much everyone I spoke with thought that it should be in the $20Ks (I didn't buy it; though, I probably would have at that level a few years ago). 

I hear what you're saying about the blank space to the right - my wife hates pieces which have blank space where logos, text, trade dressing, etc. were obviously meant to be placed. Maybe because it's harder to make the case that the piece is actually art for art's sake when the artist is compromising composition for commercial considerations. 

Edited by delekkerste

59 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I hear what you're saying about the blank space to the right - my wife hates pieces which have blank space where logos, text, trade dressing, etc. were obviously meant to be placed. Maybe because it's harder to make the case that the piece is actually art for art's sake when the artist is compromising composition for commercial considerations. 

Or it just looks like you-know-what if displayed on the wall.

Especially if the breathing room is extreme:

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Or it just looks like you-know-what if displayed on the wall.

Especially if the breathing room is extreme:

Is that a Mack Bolan cover? 

EDIT:  It's #18, Texas Storm.  Loved that series when I was a young teenager! Your cover or just an example you found? 

In any case, it would present so much nicer if you cut it in half. :whatthe:

Edited by delekkerste

16 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Is that a Mack Bolan cover? 

EDIT:  It's #18, Texas Storm.  Loved that series when I was a young teenager! Your cover or just an example you found? 

In any case, it would present so much nicer if you cut it in half. :whatthe:

It's mine, came framed that way and I haven't had the time to do anything with it yet. Agree with cutting down. I won't do it, but I wish somebody before me had, I'd be just fine buying it that way.

9 minutes ago, vodou said:

It's mine, came framed that way and I haven't had the time to do anything with it yet. Agree with cutting down. I won't do it, but I wish somebody before me had, I'd be just fine buying it that way.

I either own or have owned pieces which could have benefited from having excess board lopped off, but, with valuations well into the 5 digits, it just felt like it would be better to leave well enough alone. 

For something in the Mack Bolan valuation range, though, and with excess space being this egregious, I would seriously consider putting the piece under the knife, I must admit. :eek:

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I either own or have owned pieces which could have benefited from having excess board lopped off, but, with valuations well into the 5 digits, it just felt like it would be better to leave well enough alone. 

For something in the Mack Bolan valuation range, though, and with excess space being this egregious, I would seriously consider putting the piece under the knife, I must admit. :eek:

It's an early Executioner, pre-Mack Bolan and actually written by Pendleton. For that reason alone, never mind valuation, I'd be loath to do anything to a piece that may one day be considered in a very different literary light. (It already is to some extent.) Also, as we know, this generations three figures may well be the next's five figures. Finally, all the other Gil Cohen Executioner paintings from the same period were done on the same size board with similar 'open' max headroom. Would I really want mine to be the one that is not like the others? No.

Anyway, it's not like I don't have about 500 other projects of much greater importance that I'm also not doing by posting so much here every day ;)

5 hours ago, vodou said:

It's an early Executioner, pre-Mack Bolan and actually written by Pendleton. For that reason alone, never mind valuation, I'd be loath to do anything to a piece that may one day be considered in a very different literary light. (It already is to some extent.) Also, as we know, this generations three figures may well be the next's five figures. Finally, all the other Gil Cohen Executioner paintings from the same period were done on the same size board with similar 'open' max headroom. Would I really want mine to be the one that is not like the others? No.

Anyway, it's not like I don't have about 500 other projects of much greater importance that I'm also not doing by posting so much here every day ;)

Actually, not all of the Cohen Executioner cover paintings from the original Pendleton-scribed paperbacks were done on the same size board. 

But, never mind that fact - if you think there's any chance of there ever being a literary reevaluation of these books that would somehow result in a massive revaluation of the cover artwork, you are even crazier than I thought! 

Well, to me it would be better than hide some of that under a large mat than trim it.   Wouldn’t be perfect but could incrementally improve presentation without destroying anything

58 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Actually, not all of the Cohen Executioner cover paintings from the original Pendleton-scribed paperbacks were done on the same size board.

At least the first ten or so (from 11 to 20) are. I know yours isn't, but it's much later.

59 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

But, never mind that fact - if you think there's any chance of there ever being a literary reevaluation of these books that would somehow result in a massive revaluation of the cover artwork, you are even crazier than I thought! 

Never say never. Hey, even vintage Vampirella might be back in vogue again. Someday.