• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, vodou said:

At least the first ten or so (from 11 to 20) are. I know yours isn't, but it's much later.

Never say never. Hey, even vintage Vampirella might be back in vogue again. Someday.

Yeah, but probably those Gil Cohen covers won't escalate in value much. He still has quite a few. The same with all 100+ Michael Herring Mack Bolan/Executioner paintings I have. I had to drop them to $100 each and even then nobody wants them. So off to Heritage they will go.

MI

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, Panelfan1 said:

another interesting report.

the one item on the list that I was actually very keen on was the Lee X-men.  But after winning some other stuff to be posted soon, I couldn't go to 15k on a page.   The reason I am talking about this page here is your comment about the team not having their regular costumes. For me, the costumes in that issue make this more special as that Jim Lee run with the 'new costumes' was so cool when it came out and is preferable for me as a collector of art. It will be interesting to see what happens with UXM 248 cover coming up in the next big heritage auction. Not Lee's best X-cover, but it is his first.

the other piece I did not win,but which I was initially excited about and wanted to go after was the Bill S Elektra painting.   not sure if the final hammer price was good or bad - but the off-centered image (all the way on the right) kept me from bidding higher.   I loved the way he painted Elektra, but that blank space beside her was going to bother me if I ever had the chance to hang it on my walls.

Hey Dan!

Interesting to hear your perspective on those X-Men costumes. I find them pretty bland, and think it really hurt the final price. The #248 cover's gonna go for a bomb; it's probably the Jim Lee grail to certain collectors. If mediocre "Hush" covers fetch $50k nowadays, UXM248 can certainly crack $150k!

Look forward to seeing what you picked up ;)

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, O. said:

New Article - 29/3/18

Collector Spotlight is up, featuring comics historian, author and collector Harry Mendryk!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/03/29/collector-spotlight-harry-mendryk/

FYI the site was down due to a server migration on Fri/Sat but everything's back to normal now. If anyone was unable to access it then, do head back over and check out Harry's enthralling Collector Spotlight!

Always enjoy reading the Collector Spotlight pieces!

Much in the vein of Felix’s collector videos describing some of their favorites. Whether it’s insights into what they see in their pieces, or a bit of history about them, or their acquisition. They always hold some angle of interest which I can relate to.

Thnals for continuing to find people willing to share these stories with us, and giving them a platform to do so.

2 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 6/4/18

Report on last month's ComicConnect and Hake's auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/04/06/market-report-march-2018-hakes-comicconnect-auctions/

superman-211-2005-page-2-by-jim-lee-scott-williams

Superman #211 (2005), page 2 by Jim Lee & Scott Williams – $785

I’d mentioned in the past that Lee’s Superman work is relatively affordable, but this is taking it too far! A near full-figure Supes, in a two-thirds page splash, by the Lee/Williams art combo should go for at least $2k right? Snagging it for under $800 has to count as daylight robbery.

Ouch! Do you think this one was just not as visible on Hake's as elsewhere?

Still listed at Albert Moy for $1360, Posted On:    5/10/2005 : http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=40591

Still listed as FS for $1750 on CAF: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1428668

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:30 AM, Twanj said:

Ouch! Do you think this one was just not as visible on Hake's as elsewhere?

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:15 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Perhaps some of the low pricing has to do with the sheer # of back to back auctions.

It's probably a combination of both factors.

I also think that as:

1) prices rise;

2) more material continually becomes available; and

3) collectors grow more sophisticated,

buyers increasingly focus on higher-grade pieces, or the old adage "quality over quantity". That leaves the vast basket of lower-grade OA decreasingly capitalised - similar to comic book collecting, where the market turned from run-collecting to a focus on just key issues.

I think very few collectors think of Hakes when they are looking for OA auctions.  Their stuff gets buried under Disney cels and other paraphernalia, war memorabilia, star wars stuff, toys, political pins and countless other things.... it's a grab-bag type of auction house, where OA is usually the centerpiece of the auctions most people on these boards participate.

I went to my local library this weekend to check out the graphic novel section.  On the shelf was two copies each of Batman hush and the Superman storyline Jim illustrated.

the Batman books are very worn, with tears, creases, earmarked pages, etc.

The Superman books showed an inventory date of two years and haven’t been touched...just a bit of scuffing from shelfware.

to summarize:

-Batman Hush = desired, well loved, many readers/memorable 

-Superman = tumbleweeds and crickets 

22 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I think very few collectors think of Hakes when they are looking for OA auctions.  Their stuff gets buried under Disney cels and other paraphernalia, war memorabilia, star wars stuff, toys, political pins and countless other things.... it's a grab-bag type of auction house, where OA is usually the centerpiece of the auctions most people on these boards participate.

Except that, now, ComicArtTracker does the job for you and extract the original art content  :nyah: