• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

One of the pieces I was following by didnt end up winning was a Marvel Age cover by  Lee Weeks. it Featured Deadpool and Cable and seemed to do not bad. Considering the movie is around the corner -who knows if the price was affected by that or not.  Marvel Age was essential an advertising magazine for Marvel -but as a kid I collected it religiously because it was priced very cheaply and before the internet - it was a great source for marvel news.  ended at $2100.

the other piece - I didn't track but seemed to be over $700 on auction night was a daredevil page by MC Wymen. MC is a regular seller of commissions on ebay - so it was interesting to see one of his pages for sale. I think he's still got it. If anyone knows what the page closed for or has an image of the page  - please post a reply.

marvel age 138.jpg

On 4/15/2018 at 8:21 AM, Panelfan1 said:

the other piece - I didn't track but seemed to be over $700 on auction night was a daredevil page by MC Wymen. MC is a regular seller of commissions on ebay - so it was interesting to see one of his pages for sale. I think he's still got it. If anyone knows what the page closed for or has an image of the page  - please post a reply.

$751 - http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1238322

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, Panelfan1 said:

Is there something special about that page/issue? I didn't think Wyman DD commanded such high prices!

On 4/9/2018 at 8:57 AM, Pete Marino said:

I think very few collectors think of Hakes when they are looking for OA auctions.  Their stuff gets buried under Disney cels and other paraphernalia, war memorabilia, star wars stuff, toys, political pins and countless other things.... it's a grab-bag type of auction house, where OA is usually the centerpiece of the auctions most people on these boards participate.

I agree with you on this, Pete.  Making changes to the website is a slow process, which is one of the reasons some nice pieces of art were held back last time.  The Jim Lee Superman page wasn't my client and I wasn't watching it like I do my own customers, so I was stunned to see it hammer for under a grand after the auction had ended.  The weird thing is another Superman piece (linked below) from a client went for significantly more than I anticipated (and more than what I told him to expect, which always the happier scenario than the alternative).  I thought it would go for $2800-3600.  It's weird and unpredictable how that happens.  Bottom line is that I wish I'd been tracking the Lee piece because I'd have made a run at it personally and it still annoys me for multiple reasons.  If there is a silver lining to it, it gives buyers the hope that sometimes deals can be found, which will hopefully increase the buying pool and help the sellers, too.   

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/217761/WAYNE-BORING-SUPERMAN-DRAWING-LESSON-ORIGINAL-ART-FRAMED-DISPLAY

I've got a handful of wish list tweaks to the site that I would like to see enacted to isolate the OA offerings at Hake's and make them easier to find and quicker to navigate for collectors who only care about comic art.  Going forward their will always be an "Original Comic Art" subcategory on the auction's Browse page which will make accessing the OA offerings quicker and easier than in the past.  I'm working on the same consideration for the printed catalog but I'm biased towards the comic art personally and I need to check that ego a bit because I still have to share with the other genres we carry.  And I do like Nico's Tracker site, too, which does help me to not overlook things when I can tend to get some tunnel vision.   

Thanks again for your continued coverage of all auctions, Aficionado!  

I would love to use Hakes but its user interface is stone age. I give up after about a dozen clicks sending me in circles. I should be able to locate ORIGINAL COMIC ART in less than 10 seconds. Not waste 10 minutes and still feel like a paulsey bc I'm on a page with bottle caps.

Edited by dirtymartini1

39 minutes ago, dirtymartini1 said:

I would love to use Hakes but its user interface is stone age. I give up after about a dozen clicks sending me in circles. I should be able to locate ORIGINAL COMIC ART in less than 10 seconds. Not waste 10 minutes and still feel like a paulsey bc I'm on a page with bottle caps.

You talking about Hake's or Comic Connect? Hake's works for me, CC I don't even bother.

I'm not sure about either Hake's, or Comic Connect, at least I will say their websites can be negotiated.

But for me, it is about the user friendly factor for internet bidders.

Shipping terms.

It seems we are far enough along with online bidding that major online auction sellers should upgrade for the sake of their consignors, and their future business.

The best platforms will bring the highest prices.

That said, the wildness of overall internet auction sites as they develop keeps things interesting, and maybe a bargain is out there for the careful collector!

David

2 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

There are limitations to what I can change so the best I can do is work with what we have and keep advocating for upgrades.  I do have my list of things that I'd like to see changed and hope to see them integrated.  But this complaint is somewhat confusing to me, as it is literally two clicks to get into the Original Comic Art and takes me about 3 seconds. 

Click on "Browse Auction" in the upper left of the home page, then click on "Original Art" in the alphabetic submenus.  That's it. 

Once you do it the first time you know exactly where it sits on the page and your eyes go right to it.  That was one of the things that I wanted to see streamlined and it was successfully enacted in the latest auction and will be a permanent feature going forward, including separate categories for Strip Art and Comic Art so you don't have to pan through the syndicate art unless you specifically want to do so.  Once you're in the Comic Art section, you can start going through all of the OA in the entire auction and save them to your Watch List without entering tracking bids.  Interface aside, the navigation is at least pretty quick and painless now.

EDIT:  I will say this, though.  You can't do much with the website until the auction goes live.  Until that day, the above process doesn't work.  I'm working to have some sort of preview system that will hopefully cut down on new users' confusion to this factor, along with "coming soon" dates on the home page that will clearly provide the timeframe for the next event.  Tied to this will also be a search function so past prices can be researched for comparable purposes, etc.  Those updates are on my wish list.  

Edited by 1Toy2Many

20 hours ago, O. said:

Is there something special about that page/issue? I didn't think Wyman DD commanded such high prices!

I was totally expecting that page to end up in your report. It was just an absolute nutty price for that page. I actually put a bid in for about $100 and was thinking it may have had a shot at winning the lot lol 

22 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 26/4/18

Collector Spotlight is up, featuring husband and wife collecting team, B. Carter & Mel C.!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/04/26/collector-spotlight-b-carter-mel-c/

Thanks so much! This was a lot of fun and we're honored to have been invited to share our collection.

3 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 4/5/18

Report on April 2018's eBay auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/05/04/market-report-april-2018-ebay-auctions/

Great! Seems like we were following a lot of the same pages.

I'm not familiar with Samnee or read any of his stuff (outside the page in Marvel Legacy), but I was tempted. It's nice work. Some of those panel pages were more dynamic than the splash! Definitely cool images.

Nice, timely Ron Lim coverage.

Aren't the newer pages (Thanos Infinity Finale) just printed bluelines, with no original pencils underneath? Besides their newness, doesn't that affect their value a bit?