• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Great selects and great buys for the winners. And your comments about oversupply are probably correct as well. It's an interesting time to collect OA!

It's also a perilous time for investors. If there is enough great cheap art, investors will eventually find an unwillingness by people to buy great expensive art. 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

If there is enough great cheap art, investors will eventually find an unwillingness by people to buy great expensive art. 

I don't think there is enough crossover between those two groups for them to affect prices in each others' pool.

Hopefully, great cheap art is the gateway drug for great expensive art. This is how the hobby can grow. The air may be thin at the top of Everest, but the more people we can get to hang out at base camp, the better.

Thanks for your feedback and opinions everyone! It's really enlightening to hear all your various viewpoints :applause:

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:38 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Great report, and a really good eye. 

I noticed you didn't include any DC stuff. Didn't find any good things among the pickings?

LOL I didn't realize that - will try to include some in the next article :wink:

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:27 AM, BCarter27 said:

I don't think there is enough crossover between those two groups for them to affect prices in each others' pool.

Hopefully, great cheap art is the gateway drug for great expensive art. This is how the hobby can grow. The air may be thin at the top of Everest, but the more people we can get to hang out at base camp, the better.

(thumbsu(thumbsu(thumbsu

Excellent analogy, I couldn't agree more!

On 5/12/2018 at 1:27 PM, BCarter27 said:

That's a nice thought but not consistent with how people behave. If I can get great art which satisfies me at $500, why spend $5,000 (or $50,000) unless the more expensive art is substantially better? The more current art which is good, the less need for people to buy the older expensive stuff. You can already see that working to some extent where very good art by artists from the 1960's and 1970's who were not fan favorites sits around unsold.

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

That's a nice thought but not consistent with how people behave. If I can get great art which satisfies me at $500, why spend $5,000 (or $50,000) unless the more expensive art is substantially better? The more current art which is good, the less need for people to buy the older expensive stuff. You can already see that working to some extent where very good art by artists from the 1960's and 1970's who were not fan favorites sits around unsold.

The devil is in the "satisfies me" details. 

Also in the "better". 

In comic art, ESPECIALLY in comic art, "satisfies" and "better" are tied to many more things than just aesthetics. Nostalgia, fandom for certain creators or certain schools/periods of art, and other factors really work their way into the decision making process of what people choose, and what they choose to spend. 

If you or I were ardent fans of, let's say, Neal Adams Batman art, specifically from the "Batman" title, and specifically from the years 1972-1975. That artist, from those years and on that title is what hits our sweet spot for collecting and enjoyment....would a piece of Batman artwork from another decade, story line and artist fill our collecting belly quite the same regardless of what it cost? 

Edited by comix4fun

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

The more current art which is good, the less need for people to buy the older expensive stuff.

I think this is more true for collectors who a) buy the character more than specific artists (My wife falls into this camp to some extent as she likes numerous Batman artists from all eras. When we/she got priced out of certain artists, we moved to others.) or b) OA collectors who are still active modern comic readers as they tend to add "story importance" to their list of criteria.

In both cases, I think these are healthy ways of collecting and I wish more people did so. I think it keeps the hobby "young" (not literally younger although it may skew that way) and fresh.

Buuuut as you continue to collect, you are forced by the market and your own limited resources to focus. So, within a few short years, you are probably just looking for that one splash page by that one artist/inker combo on that one book. :)

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The devil is in the "satisfies me" details. 

Also in the "better". 

In comic art, ESPECIALLY in comic art, "satisfies" and "better" are tied to many more things than just aesthetics. Nostalgia, fandom for certain creators or certain schools/periods of art, and other factors really work their way into the decision making process of what people choose, and what they choose to spend. 

If you or I were ardent fans of, let's say, Neal Adams Batman art, specifically from the "Batman" title, and specifically from the years 1972-1975. That artist, from those years and on that title is what hits our sweet spot for collecting and enjoyment....would a piece of Batman artwork from another decade, story line and artist fill our collecting belly quite the same regardless of what it cost? 

Actually, I was thinking more about newer collectors who aren’t so fixed, but honestly, it would do. My collecting belly is only one of the bellies I want to fill, and if I didn’t feel comfortable spending that Neal Adams type of money, I would shift to commissions, or buy a different artist who had a derivative style, or maybe buy a contrasting style.

I am not comfortable with the way Aparo pages are moving up, for example, so I doubt I will go for any more. Instead, my next target, if I can find it, is likely to be a Scribblenauts version of Phantom Stranger (which are pretty cute). See my point?

39 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Sure, I see what you're saying. Nostalgia hits art collectors differently from each other. Some have to have a Bolland Killing Joke page and others are satisfied with a Joker image that is pleasing to the eye. 

The thing about newer collectors is, though, they tend to (if bitten by the bug hard enough) progress beyond just characters or whatever might catch their eye and begin to get more and more focused and picky. That doesn't necessarily mean they only collect one artist or one era, but when they start realizing "Hey I dig the Palmer inked page over "X" penciller" or "Man Alan Davis really hit his stride in X year." or even "Good Lord I love Alan Moore's Superman stories" that's when another fun image of the character or that doesn't hit those markers just won't do. As much as they try to fill the void with other artists and pieces I don't think that appreciation or desire goes away. 

I've hit the "price exceeds the pleasure" point, personally, with plenty of titles, artists, etc. I'd wager almost everyone has at one point or another. I just know that I can collect Hulk pages by dozens of artists (like I once did) and none of them will hit the spot like a page from Incredible Hulk #5 by Kirby. 

I understand, but what if the choice was Kirby or Buscema and a nicer vacation? And let’s assume you could not afford both?

17 hours ago, O. said:

Thanks for your feedback and opinions everyone! It's really enlightening to hear all your various viewpoints :applause:

LOL I didn't realize that - will try to include some in the next article :wink:

(thumbsu(thumbsu(thumbsu

Excellent analogy, I couldn't agree more!

You mostly included Just art from this century think there was one from 1995. There are still deals to be had for premodern comic art

3 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

You mostly included Just art from this century think there was one from 1995. There are still deals to be had for premodern comic art

Larry Hama pages from the comic adaptation of The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977, Marvel) sold in the 30-40 dollar range. I bought the splash for a few hundred. The next big thing? No. But that movie was a weird memory of my childhood and some of the pages are pretty cool. CC sold the entire book at once, except for the cover. I bought the splash and last page, among several random interiors. Tracking those things close on CC was quite a chore. 

Edited by cstojano

26 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I understand, but what if the choice was Kirby or Buscema and a nicer vacation? And let’s assume you could not afford both?

Well I don't use money for art that pays regular bills or covers family vacations or other regular family type expenses. 

But I don't know if I understand the question about vacations in this context since it was "will only 'X' high end piece of art scratch the itch? or will just any nice piece of artwork do?"

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Well I don't use money for art that pays regular bills or covers family vacations or other regular family type expenses. 

But I don't know if I understand the question about vacations in this context since it was "will only 'X' high end piece of art scratch the itch? or will just any nice piece of artwork do?"

I think the Rolling Stones said it best: "You can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need."