• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

Great article. Your weekly articles/interviews are really well done - something I look forward to each Friday. Thanks for putting in the work on these - it is extremely appreciated. 

1 hour ago, O. said:

New Article - 12/5/17

Report on last week's ComicLink Focused Auction is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/05/12/market-report-may-2017-comiclink-focused-auction/

Another good update.  I was underbidder (or maybe 2nd underbidder) on those Leandro Fernandez Punisher pages.  If he was showing a bit more skull I would have bid higher.

Malvin

Thanks for another solid market update! The Sal B MTU #57 page 30 with Spidey, Black Widow and Silver Samurai was a strong seller at $1,460 and one of the nicer action pages in the auction. Great inks by Dave Hunt, who passed away at the age of 75 this past March. Dave was one of the essential Bronze Age inkers working on multiple titles for both Marvel and DC. Will you be doing a Market Report for Meeley Man's recent eBay sales for cheapskates and skinflints?

Edited by lobrac

2 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 12/5/17

Report on last week's ComicLink Focused Auction is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/05/12/market-report-may-2017-comiclink-focused-auction/

I was kinda surprised by the hammer price on that Portacio UXM page too, and I'm the guy that won it. :)

I put in what I thought was a fairly high max bid, but I was hoping it wouldn't actually go that high.  However, as is pretty much always the case whenever I win an auction, there was one guy out there willing to go just below my max bid.  Oh well, as you said, there aren't a ton of Portacio UXM pages out there, so I was still very happy with the win.

Mike

On 5/13/2017 at 2:45 PM, MGS said:

I was kinda surprised by the hammer price on that Portacio UXM page too, and I'm the guy that won it. :)

I put in what I thought was a fairly high max bid, but I was hoping it wouldn't actually go that high.  However, as is pretty much always the case whenever I win an auction, there was one guy out there willing to go just below my max bid.  Oh well, as you said, there aren't a ton of Portacio UXM pages out there, so I was still very happy with the win.

Mike

This issue of Xmen is a little weird.  Art Thibert is listed as the primary inker, but in fact, I was the primary inker.  Don't think Thibert touched any pages in this issue.  But because of deadline stresses, other artists were brought in to make this book ship on time.  Homage Studio artist Scott Clark penciled some pages, including this page in question.  Not sure Whilce even touched it (it looks nothing like Portacio) despite Portacio signing the original (happens all the time).  It's possible Portacio might have supplied rough layouts.  Additionally, I did not ink any of this page.  Not sure who did, but if Rubenstien is listed somewhere on the page as was suggested in a private message, he's probably the inker though hard to tell at this point in his career.  Hope that clears things up.

Scott

56 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

This issue of Xmen is a little weird.  Art Thibert is listed as the primary inker, but in fact, I was the primary inker.  Don't think Thibert touched any pages in this issue.  But because of deadline stresses, other artists were brought in to make this book ship on time.  Homage Studio artist Scott Clark penciled some pages, including this page in question.  Not sure Whilce even touched it (it looks nothing like Portacio) despite Portacio signing the original (happens all the time).  It's possible Portacio might have supplied rough layouts.  Additionally, I did not ink any of this page.  Not sure who did, but if Rubenstien is listed somewhere on the page as was suggested in a private message, he's probably the inker though hard to tell at this point in his career.  Hope that clears things up.

Scott

Hmm, well that certainly is interesting.  It sounds as though I paid for a page with Whilce Portacio pencils and Scott Williams inks, and I got neither.  Thanks for clearing up the details on this page, Scott.  I appreciate it.

Mike

1 hour ago, MGS said:

Hmm, well that certainly is interesting.  It sounds as though I paid for a page with Whilce Portacio pencils and Scott Williams inks, and I got neither.  Thanks for clearing up the details on this page, Scott.  I appreciate it.

Mike

ouch

Just wanted to give full credit to ComicLink here.  I emailed them about this and they agreed to a return right away.  I was prepared for more of a battle :).  Looks like I'll continue to be a happy ComicLink customer! 

Guess I'm back in the market for a Portacio UXM page.

Mike

3 minutes ago, MGS said:

Just wanted to give full credit to ComicLink here.  I emailed them about this and they agreed to a return right away.  I was prepared for more of a battle :).  Looks like I'll continue to be a happy ComicLink customer! 

Mike

Great customer service there, even if it should have been caught earlier perhaps. A great contrast to the difficulty I am having with damaged piece from Cornette de saint cyr. Glad it worked out for you!

Pay attention everyone, it could be you next and it is good to see how companies handle these mistakes.

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Scott

Great job Scott! Stinkininkin comes out smelling like roses to me!

Glad I could help.  I did not even see this piece at auction, otherwise I might have given ComicLink a heads up before the sale was competed.  Good on them for making things right, and it appears it was an honest mistake.  I've been addressing the who did what question of this issue of Uncanny Xmen 286 for years, because of the incorrect credits page.  Lots of confusion all around.

Scott

58 minutes ago, MGS said:

Mike

That's just awesome.  Glad to hear it.