• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, vodou said:

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, vodou said:

Disagree with this statement, Even though it doesn’t feature her, decent non-Mantis pages like this one, hailing from her 1st Appearance issue, should probably fetch premiums to pages from other issues in the surrounding run. Non-appearance pages from 1st Appearance issues...nothing special (and no premium should apply) beyond whatever the actual content is imo. Unless one or more parties are actively attempting to put the story/book back together. And even so, that's more attributable to the completion attempt not the 1st Appearances on other pages aspect, except as it may be a driver behind the completion attempt.

Which is why I am interested in how well that Batman #232 Panel with Ras Al Guhl in it that is up at Heritage right now, does.

21 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

My, my.  Who are all of these 85-95 year olds who were around when Action comics #1 came out and are spending hundreds of thousands, and even millions of dollars for a copy?  They must be extremely nostalgic and very well off, eh?

There aren't a lot of people spending that kind of money, for one. Second, you are referring to an iconic comic. When markets drop, they tend to be the last to sink. 

The post-War books until the end of the Golden Age will drop before Action 1 (special issues will hold out a while, too). 

Your latest article was a great read Rich!  I totally missed those Mike McKone pages.  It's impressive see nice-looking panel pages featuring major super-heroes selling for less than $125.  It seems like there continues to be fine art to be had at entry-level prices.  I'm also surprised that the Alan Davis Excalibur prices are holding up after seemingly months of those pages appearing in the Heritage weekly auctions.

Thanks a lot for the very kind shout-out to my website as well.  I think there is still a lot of room for additional original comic art-related content online, and you have done a great job of keeping a discussion going with your weekly columns.  Keep up the good work!  Best, Lee

24 minutes ago, Twanj said:

Yes, thanks as always.

Is there a story behind the 2 a week Excalibur pages that keep trickling out? Must have been a great collection.

I thought the pages could possibly have come from Gary Land's collection, but Gary seems to have quite a large collection still posted on CAF.  I suppose when you have an artist working on a title for so long, several large collections could have developed over the years.  The pages on Heritage always seem to be of pretty high quality.  Best, Lee

thanks a lot john!... and thanks for the interview,  richard!  i had a chance to meet a few of the original art collectors while  in singapore, including richard , and had a great time.  lots of knowledgeable collectors out there in Asia.

Edited by robert frey
couldn't type richard's nickname

1 hour ago, John S. said:

Rob is a great guy, with a great eye and a great collection. 

I couldn't agree more!  It's read how Rob describes his approach to his collection and collecting.   This was one of the best installments ever.  Keep up the good work Rich!  Best, Lee

On 12/31/2017 at 12:54 AM, O. said:

New Article - 29/12/17

Visit to Illustration House and interview with gallerist/collector Zaddick Longenbach is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/29/visit-to-illustration-house-and-interview-with-zaddick-longenbach/

Finally got a quiet time to listen to this (thank you tax prep) and appreciated Zaddick's progressive (?) take on art conservation and preservation. I feel the comic OA hobby could do with more of that. It seems like he has a higher view on the matter coming from 100-year-old illustration art than the crossover comic collectors we often see.

Keep the interviews coming! Written or audio -- both have been great.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:17 AM, O. said:

New Article - 2/2/18

Report on January eBay auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2018/02/02/market-report-january-2018-ebay-auctions/

Another enjoyable and informative read!  I like the fact that you highlight artists that I don't really follow.  Keep up the good work!  Best, Lee

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, Michael (OML)1 said:

Love the articles -- keep them coming

Glad you like them, and thanks for your support Michael!

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:19 PM, Lee B. said:

Another enjoyable and informative read!  I like the fact that you highlight artists that I don't really follow.  Keep up the good work!  Best, Lee

Appreciate the kind words Lee:) I try to expose readers to a wide range of artists - never know what might tickle your fancy!