• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

The Finch pieces were a steal. Wrong venue for them(Post copper age art usually goes below FMV on there). I would have bid more on both of those pieces if I hadn't been on such a buying spree recently. I think I threw in around a $3200 bid on the WW cover as a tracking bid.

On ‎23‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Liked your update. 2 things. 

1. The Finch art market has been softening lately for some reason. Even hit Batman pages. Not sure why that is. 

2. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Magic The Gathering card art. There’s huge growth potential there. 

Yeah been noticing that about the Finch market too; I expect it's just a temporary blip?

On ‎24‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 12:49 AM, Panelfan1 said:

Which pages have you seen soften

My experience is that prices are up. Both for stuff i consigned to auction and for stuff i was lookin at to get.  The recent clink auction had some strong finishes compared to a year back.  

Are you referring to the strong results discussed in this article: https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/06/16/market-report-june-2017-comiclink-featured-auction/? Because as @PhilipB2k17 mentioned, since then I've noticed Finch's eBay results softening too.

On ‎24‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:10 AM, NinjaSealed said:

The Finch pieces were a steal. Wrong venue for them(Post copper age art usually goes below FMV on there). I would have bid more on both of those pieces if I hadn't been on such a buying spree recently. I think I threw in around a $3200 bid on the WW cover as a tracking bid.

Hm interesting point now that you mention it... do you think Modern Age OA does best on HA or CLink?

Of the 3 main auction houses, HA generally pulls in the best results for OA from all Ages (but takes the biggest cut). Although, CLink seems able to get big numbers for Copper Age OA, and CC got great SA OA results in the Jon Berk auction.

9 hours ago, O. said:

Yeah been noticing that about the Finch market too; I expect it's just a temporary blip?

Are you referring to the strong results discussed in this article: https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/06/16/market-report-june-2017-comiclink-featured-auction/? Because as @PhilipB2k17 mentioned, since then I've noticed Finch's eBay results softening too.

Ok. So i read the article after reaponding to PhilipB2k..  but at least in the past 2 clink featured auctions Finch art seems to have done well.  

It might have to do with specific pieces.. as he worked on  a lot of stuff and not all of it is as desireable simply due to the content.  Personally I didnt like his recent wonder woman run as much even though I am a big Finch fan.  

It's also worth noting that those wonder woman pieces were first time on the market outside of his art rep (correct me if I am wrong)- so it was the first chance for the art to be priced accurately.  

I find that rep prices for modern hero covers are almost always above what the item would reach in a public auction.  If Finch contknues to draw comics, those covers will likely go back up eventually.

The article, btw was excellent as usual Mr.O!

Edited by Panelfan1

Thank you for the support @Panelfan1:bigsmile:

That Finch Batman page in the latest CLink Featured did okay, and the Aphrodite IX(?!) half-page splash performed spectacularly, selling for almost 60% of the #3 cover's price: https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/04/21/market-report-ebay-and-pedigree-comics-auctions-march-april-2017/

18 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Ok. So i read the article after reaponding to PhilipB2k..  but at least in the past 2 clink featured auctions Finch art seems to have done well.  

It might have to do with specific pieces.. as he worked on  a lot of stuff and not all of it is as desireable simply due to the content.  Personally I didnt like his recent wonder woman run as much even though I am a big Finch fan.  

It's also worth noting that those wonder woman pieces were first time on the market outside of his art rep (correct me if I am wrong)- so it was the first chance for the art to be priced accurately.  

I find that rep prices for modern hero covers are almost always above what the item would reach in a public auction.  If Finch contknues to draw comics, those covers will likely go back up eventually.

The article, btw was excellent as usual Mr.O!

My reference was to a Finch Batman page that I saw go for way under what I expected its market value would be in a legit eBay auction. This was after the piece had been listed with high BIN prices. I suspect sitting around for several months with high BINs, and then having its price reduced probably caused people to underbid the BIN. But, I assumed it wouldn't be by nearly 1/2.

Maybe it was that dynamic that caused it to drop. But, saw it happen with another piece on eBay.

On 26/09/2017 at 3:43 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

My reference was to a Finch Batman page that I saw go for way under what I expected its market value would be in a legit eBay auction. This was after the piece had been listed with high BIN prices. I suspect sitting around for several months with high BINs, and then having its price reduced probably caused people to underbid the BIN. But, I assumed it wouldn't be by nearly 1/2.

Maybe it was that dynamic that caused it to drop. But, saw it happen with another piece on eBay.

Interesting. I always thought the high BIN price followed by legit auction was a tactic to sell the item at a higher price than it might sell for just doing an auction.

On 9/25/2017 at 11:21 AM, O. said:

Hm interesting point now that you mention it... do you think Modern Age OA does best on HA or CLink?

Of the 3 main auction houses, HA generally pulls in the best results for OA from all Ages (but takes the biggest cut). Although, CLink seems able to get big numbers for Copper Age OA, and CC got great SA OA results in the Jon Berk auction.

I think it depends on the artist/character/quality of the piece. I think when you pay attention closely you can see certain patterns stand out where certain material routinely performs better. I think in general high end modern stuff I would go with HA and lower stuff Clink. Although a funny thing I have watched happen on HA fairly routinely is a nice ~$500~ piece of modern art get bid up to the $1500-2k range, I am assuming just because someone doesn't know the market and has enough money to not care and just bid until they win.

On 9/26/2017 at 3:43 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

In general eBay auction numbers don't mean much to actual market values these days, sure some stuff gets bid up to FMV but many pieces go lower than they would up at the major auction houses with proper marketing. On eBay you have to hope that the right buyers happen to find your auction in the 10 days it is open and trust you as a seller, as well as have the money on hand immediately to pay(mostly for higher priced items)

On 14/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, O. said:

New Article - 13/10/17

Here's coverage of the STGCC 2017 Original Comic Art Exhibition, along with our Frank Cho audio interview!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/10/13/original-art-aficionado/

Some great photos. Seems al lot of great art is making its way overseas. 

Thanks gor all the insights.

6 minutes ago, Hal Turner said:

Nice job. The Chew price surprised me.

I thought Rich O's concept of creator owned series as lacking long term collectibility very interesting.

I know there are exceptions (sandman, cerebus?), but do others agree that for series/characters that are no longer published - this is true?

Rich - how would you classify Y the last man?  Or is that differeny because its by different artists? 

3 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

I thought Rich O's concept of creator owned series as lacking long term collectibility very interesting.

I know there are exceptions (sandman, cerebus?), but do others agree that for series/characters that are no longer published - this is true?

Rich - how would you classify Y the last man?  Or is that differeny because its by different artists? 

I think this is pretty much the general attitude - the exceptions to the rule are creator owned books that become industry house hold names or that are created by talent that go on to become superstars. I almost exclusively collect creator owned works and I don't really expect those pages to let me retire early if you know what I mean. I  may be better off putting my money into a mutual fund... or even buying lottery tickets! Well, wait, buying lottery tickets is basically the same thing I guess, they just don't have the superior aesthetics that my OA does hm