• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Andahaion said:

I decided upon a working vision statement along the lines of I will collect pieces that to me exemplify the essence of the characters I love in this hobby.  It's vague and broad and I'm sure that may change, but at least it gives me parameters. 

You're approaching the hobby in a very thoughtful manner.  As long as you understand your goals, resources ($), and what trade-offs you're willing to make between your priorities, then you'll do just fine.

However things turned out last night, good luck and have fun!  Aim high.

Thank you, everyone.  Alas last night was not meant to be, but it was instructive nonetheless.  I'm not too heartbroken with the loss, and look at it as an opportunity to acquire something better.  Lemonade from lemons, as they say.  If you're curious, I was after the Surfer piece by Tom Morgan.  Per my "blueprint" I thought it a very nice Surfer moment, indicative of the character.  Plus it was plain cool.  I wasn't a fan of the signature placement though, which is probably why I didn't chase ti harder.  I wasn't too far off in my estimate and my bid held on til the last few minutes.  I was proud of myself for sticking to my guns and not upping the bid.

Now looking at a few pieces on some of the bigger dealers sites...and away we go :)

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, Andahaion said:

Appreciate the effort you put into these reports.  As someone anxiously awaiting to find out if I've won (tonight!) and consequently entered the original comic book art world, I greatly welcome these and other avenues available for edification.  I spent maybe a year or so researching and learning about this particular niche hobby.  As I'm sure many others on this board do, I happen to have other interests.  For instance I collect fine art, but was a little hesitant to enter this world given its nuances.  For some reason fine art just seems less confusing to me.  That said, I will greatly underscore your advocating for having a blueprint.  Most of my hesitation was centered around just that, what is my concentration?  Comic book art seems ubiquitous in that one can attain work quickly at various levels from a host of suppliers whether they are the artists, art dealers, conventions, or what have you.  I decided upon a working vision statement along the lines of I will collect pieces that to me exemplify the essence of the characters I love in this hobby.  It's vague and broad and I'm sure that may change, but at least it gives me parameters.  

I've found that OA has so much more context around it for me to sort through.  What I'm trying to say here is that there are other factors that accompany a piece of OA.  You have the penciller who may or may not be inked by another person (I still struggle with this concept).  The pages also come from a story line, which brings additional nuance and context.  For example, I was looking at a modern page a while ago featuring Superman.  When I researched the story a little more, it turns out that it was Superman, but of a different time.  So...nice art of my favorite hero, but at the same time not really Superman within the context of the story.   I asked myself if something like that mattered to me, and didn't really have a good answer.  Whereas with fine art (and not to say that OA isn't fine art) I find my collection largely driven by artist and period.  

At any rate, thank you again for your work.  It is noticed and appreciated.

Cheers.

Thank you for the kind remarks @Andahaion:) It's really encouraging to know that smart, focused collectors such as yourself are looking to join our hobby(thumbsu 

I actually find OA collecting to be more structured and transparent than the larger art market. There are multiple avenues to obtain regular, publicly-transacted sales data to inform purchases and current valuations. And as you mention, the "context" which must be considered in OA collecting provides additional metrics to apply when making purchasing or pricing decisions, according extra confidence. For me, when I wander into non-OA art circles, the lack of sufficient public sales data and/or metrics to assist in accurate valuation is sometimes scary!

23 hours ago, Andahaion said:

Thank you, everyone.  Alas last night was not meant to be, but it was instructive nonetheless.  I'm not too heartbroken with the loss, and look at it as an opportunity to acquire something better.  Lemonade from lemons, as they say.  If you're curious, I was after the Surfer piece by Tom Morgan.  Per my "blueprint" I thought it a very nice Surfer moment, indicative of the character.  Plus it was plain cool.  I wasn't a fan of the signature placement though, which is probably why I didn't chase ti harder.  I wasn't too far off in my estimate and my bid held on til the last few minutes.  I was proud of myself for sticking to my guns and not upping the bid.

Now looking at a few pieces on some of the bigger dealers sites...and away we go :)

That's a powerful Morgan SS page, though I'm slightly surprised at how high the hammer price was. Strong Surfer pages do fetch a premium though (Ron Lim's my favourite of course:wink:).

Good luck with the hunt, and do feel free to solicit opinions and feedback from us!

1 hour ago, O. said:

New Article - 21/7/17

Report on last week's Hake's and Heritage Sunday Auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/07/21/market-report-july-2017-heritage-sunday-and-hakes-auctions/

I appreciate your reviewing the Hake's auction.  I've read your blog since its inception and was hoping we'd pop up on there at some point.  This was my first auction with Hake's (started just after the last auction's catalogs went out) and I appreciate any outside insights on our progress.  Great article as usual! 

8 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 28/7/17

Report on recent eBay auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/07/28/market-report-ebay-auctions-may-june-2017/

Interesting that the Lee X-Men page is back on eBay at quite a bit more than it sold for just a few months back:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172798844560 

Also, I won one of the Kubert X-Men pages for my boss. He's not an art collector exactly, but was a reader in his youth and I tempt him whenever I can with things he might like. This was the biggest purchase I got him to make to date.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:07 AM, O. said:

New Article - 28/7/17

Report on recent eBay auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/07/28/market-report-ebay-auctions-may-june-2017/

I was following that Starhawk page auction, and was shocked at the low final price tag. I wanted to bid on it, but the timing was bad. I just assumed it would go for way more than that.