• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

Good stuff - another fun article. One question for the masses ... who do you use as your "professional OA adviser"?

As a general rule, for myself, anyone who is going to charge me a fee to advise me isn't worth it.

Most folks I know network and socialize and people of like minds, like tastes (in a broad sense), and like ethics sets, tend to gravitate towards one another.

The most valuable reason for this is the "Donnie Brasco Rules for Vouching" that come from it. After a while people will point you towards and away from people in this hobby. That will either burnish or tarnish their own reputations in the process. So most people I know are careful in regards to personal recommendations.

After a while, hopefully, everyone develops their own circle of trusted advisors and they act in that capacity in return for them.

Good stuff - another fun article. One question for the masses ... who do you use as your "professional OA adviser"?

As a general rule, for myself, anyone who is going to charge me a fee to advise me isn't worth it.

Most folks I know network and socialize and people of like minds, like tastes (in a broad sense), and like ethics sets, tend to gravitate towards one another.

The most valuable reason for this is the "Donnie Brasco Rules for Vouching" that come from it. After a while people will point you towards and away from people in this hobby. That will either burnish or tarnish their own reputations in the process. So most people I know are careful in regards to personal recommendations.

After a while, hopefully, everyone develops their own circle of trusted advisors and they act in that capacity in return for them.

Thanks. I agree Chris and this is how I generally thought this played out with most people as well. When I read the article it sounded so official and had me wondering for a minute if there is actually people out there that act in the role of professional (getting paid for their services) OA adviser in more than just a casual definition.

This last article was great as it showed inside the mind of a regular (not big spender) collector.

I don't know, 80 pages in two years seems hefty to me for an average Joe lol

I do agree that it is a nice compliment to Felix's podcast where I get to hear how the other half live.

Great feedback, I'll be sure to include a broad mix of collectors in future articles.

On that subject, if anyone here would like to share their collection or thoughts in a collector spotlight, do let me know!

The next couple of articles will be an introduction to OA collecting, then we'll commence with regular market reports and artist/collector spotlights.

Sounds like a great concept! Artists who I'd like to see spolighted: Eduardo Barreto, Emanuela Lupacchino, Terry Dodson, Dan Spiegle, Scott Shaw!, Joe Staton, Don Rosa, Stan Lynde, Leonard Starr, Jim Holdaway & Gisèle Lagacé (availability, pricing etc).

Let me add Will Meugniot to that list. Anyone who has some of his DNAgents pages knows you often get an extra special bonus pinup drawing on the back. I have a great double page splash of his, both with fully inked, multiple pin-up drawing character studies.