• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, O. said:

New Article - 31/3/17

Market report on a French auction and last week's ComicConnect event is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/03/31/market-report-cornette-de-saint-cyr-comicconnect-auctions-february-march-2017/

Those Bermejo Hellblazer pieces look like prelims rather than final cover art. If they were the final image, I would have expected them to go 3x of those prices.

Thanks for pointing it out @GotSuperPowers?, I reread the descriptions and they appear to be prelims!

Their €1k hammer prices are closer to published cover prices than prelims though:

http://www.splashpageart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?ArtistId=85&Mag=Hellblazer+Cover+Prelim&From=Title

http://www.splashpageart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?ArtistId=85&Mag=Hellblazer&From=Title

47 minutes ago, O. said:

New Article - 7/4/17

Collector spotlight is up, featuring new (but accomplished) collector John Nguyen!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/04/07/collector-spotlight-john-nguyen/

Nice read - it is definitely interesting to me to see (other) newer collectors and their focus, and I'm always intrigued by how fast some new collectors seem to be able to fill up portfolios.

thanks D i c k, enjoyed the article.    Never really paid much attention to Grindberg or Williams so they were cool to see and appreciate and do seem like nice buys, the savage dragon/tmnt page as well. 

OTOH, I know Charest went on to do other things... but that Flash page is everything wrong with 90s comic art.   A guy who is supposed to be lightning quick, built like a roided up weightlifter :sick:

The Sale daredevil page is magic :)

Edited by Bronty

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, O. said:

New Article - 31/3/17

Market report on a French auction and last week's ComicConnect event is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/03/31/market-report-cornette-de-saint-cyr-comicconnect-auctions-february-march-2017/

Just catching up on my reading today and I enjoy your OA articles very much.  Would like to add a few tidbits of information to share with your audience:

1.  The Miller MTU 99 cover that sold on CC for $15.2K, which you indicate is a good deal.  I can't say one way or another if it was a good deal, but I do know that is sold less than two years prior for $10.6K on ComicLink.  Also, at some time between the ComicLink sale and the CC sale, somebody added a few new paste-up blurbs to the cover.  Additionally, likes like another signature was added at the bottom centre of the OA, and I believe that's Denny O'Neil's signature.  I've got a scan of the cover as it appeared on the ComicLink auction and hopefully, I was able to upload it correctly for comparison's sake.

2.  The Stephen Yarish article was great and I thoroughly enjoy reading how collectors got their start in this hobby.  As an unabashed Keown Hulk fan, I especially liked reading Stephen's note about how he happened to be in the right place at the right time to get the Hulk 390 splash (Hulk with bunny slippers).  He knew going in that he was going to be outbid, yet he ended up winning the splash.  At the time of the ebay auction for the splash, I was spending money like a drunken sailor on Keown Hulk art and could have easily won the splash, but Stephen and I had nice email exchange and I decided to back down from bidding on the piece.  Stephen's been a great curator for the piece and I've really enjoyed seeing his Hulk collection grow over the years.

Looking forward to your next article!

MTU99 cvr.jpg

Interest in the Defenders (this original version not the Netflix one) could soon rise, as it appears an MCU incarnation of the team will feature in Thor: Ragnarok (replacing Namor with Thor)!

Wait, is the Surfer making an appearance?!

Great stuff!  :applause:
One thing, a nitpick, perhaps...  (:
In your Jim Starlin article you mention the cosmic deities created by Jack and/or Stan, including Eternity.
Eternity was introduced in Strange Tales when Ditko was drawing and plotting the Dr. Strange serial with little, if any, input from Stan.   They were not even on speaking terms at that point.
Book credits may say one thing, but it's likely Eternity was purely a Steve Ditko creation.

Edited by Unca Ben