• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are any of the new 52 #1's worth picking up at this point?

41 posts in this topic

If you liked new 52 and appreciate the books, you should be able to get almost any #1 book from the series raw in NM for $3-5 or less (except maybe Batman and Superman - which you probably shouldn't pay more than $10-15 each). If you are looking for value to appreciate or get an ROI, I would move on.

Realistically modern books are extremely volatile and their window of value is small. You really have to get in early and sell once interest peaks or you end up paying way too much. The current variant craze is a good example - hundreds or even lows thousands of a specific book may only be printed in total but they repeat the process for the same title +20 times. How special is a limited print variant cover when there are 19 other variant covers of the same issue? - the answer: not special at all and limited resale value within 6 months.

-----------

I dunno, Batman stuff seems to hold up well in general once it is considered a "special" issue. I know they have cooled a bit, but I dunno if Batman 1, 1st print, is going to be a $15 book.

I know DC doesn't care about collectors and what not, but they have to realize some of the purchasing enthusiasm on various titles is aided by the back issue market existing for them. And I know they want to make money on re-boots, but criminey, shouldn't there be a way not to wipe out 4+ years of collecting by throwing out continuity and what not? Batman New 52 back issues shouldn't be viewed in the market any different than if we were at Batman 700whatever right now, but I suspect the market will treat them worse, at least for a while. Frankly, I HATE re-boots, but the companies want their darn #1s and the short-term boost. Couldn't they say #1 on the cover and have 714 hidden on there somewhere? As someone who has been reading these things for 40 years I loved that the numbering went back to when I was a little kid and decades earlier.

The endless re-boots on Spiderman are a crime against humanity.

I really have no money in these, like I said, and it's not the comic company job to prop up prices, of course, but sour tastes in mouths can be damaging to the hobby.

If you liked new 52 and appreciate the books, you should be able to get almost any #1 book from the series raw in NM for $3-5 or less (except maybe Batman and Superman - which you probably shouldn't pay more than $10-15 each). If you are looking for value to appreciate or get an ROI, I would move on.

Realistically modern books are extremely volatile and their window of value is small. You really have to get in early and sell once interest peaks or you end up paying way too much. The current variant craze is a good example - hundreds or even lows thousands of a specific book may only be printed in total but they repeat the process for the same title +20 times. How special is a limited print variant cover when there are 19 other variant covers of the same issue? - the answer: not special at all and limited resale value within 6 months.

-----------

I dunno, Batman stuff seems to hold up well in general once it is considered a "special" issue. I know they have cooled a bit, but I dunno if Batman 1, 1st print, is going to be a $15 book.

I know DC doesn't care about collectors and what not, but they have to realize some of the purchasing enthusiasm on various titles is aided by the back issue market existing for them. And I know they want to make money on re-boots, but criminey, shouldn't there be a way not to wipe out 4+ years of collecting by throwing out continuity and what not? Batman New 52 back issues shouldn't be viewed in the market any different than if we were at Batman 700whatever right now, but I suspect the market will treat them worse, at least for a while. Frankly, I HATE re-boots, but the companies want their darn #1s and the short-term boost. Couldn't they say #1 on the cover and have 714 hidden on there somewhere? As someone who has been reading these things for 40 years I loved that the numbering went back to when I was a little kid and decades earlier.

The endless re-boots on Spiderman are a crime against humanity.

I really have no money in these, like I said, and it's not the comic company job to prop up prices, of course, but sour tastes in mouths can be damaging to the hobby.

I am one of the few that liked the new 52 versions of most of the heroes and I enjoyed the retold origins and I thought Forever Evil was great. Bateman and Wonder Woman were superb, I liked JLA Dark and early issues of both Flash and Green Lanter (my two favorites) were refreshing. I also liked a younger look on the aging heroes and really enjoyed some of the freshness Johns has brought. That said, I also prefer the heritage numbering and frankly they didn't need to re-start the numbering. Unfortunately like so many things in comics today, it was a gimmic and it worked.

You are likely right about New 52 titles being treated worse. It is seen as a failed experiment for the most part with current Collectors and it will be awhile before that label disappears, if ever.

Side question - why do you quote with a small line instead of using the quote function? Is it to avoid deleted posts if they are scrubbed?

Side question - why do you quote with a small line instead of using the quote function? Is it to avoid deleted posts if they are scrubbed?

-------------

Because I am only quoting part of a post and don't feel like editing within the quote feature to get rid of the test I am not interested in. Maybe there is a better way to do it, but I can't be bothered to learn apparently.

And yes, people have been giving me grief about my board quoting skills for years here. At least I think they're people. Have only met a few boardies in the flesh and two of them I knew already. The others could be androids.

-------------

Because I am only quoting part of a post and don't feel like editing within the quote feature to get rid of the test I am not interested in. Maybe there is a better way to do it, but I can't be bothered to learn apparently.

And yes, people have been giving me grief about my board quoting skills for years here. At least I think they're people. Have only met a few boardies in the flesh and two of them I knew already. The others could be androids.

I'm an android, but I have better things to worry about than the quoting skills of other androids.

Also the Green Lantern books, while maybe not being worth a lot may still be sought after because of the continued story-line started in Green Lantern Rebirth (the original one). And really continues on in the new DC Rebirth GL books.

I dunno, the Batman 1 still seems to be at least a $40-$50 book around here. (shrug) I doubt it'll ever reach the top prices again, but I can't see it becoming a $15-20 all of a sudden. It's still the kickoff of one of the most popular Batman stories of all time.

I dunno, the Batman 1 still seems to be at least a $40-$50 book around here. (shrug) I doubt it'll ever reach the top prices again, but I can't see it becoming a $15-20 all of a sudden. It's still the kickoff of one of the most popular Batman stories of all time.

I passed on one for $25 the other day, it was 9.4-9.6. Would have bought it if it were a 9.8. I did see other #1s (Aquaman, Superboy, Batgirl and one or two others I can't remember) for $5-10 each.

I agree that Batman might be the exception, but I don't think they will hold prices long. They won't fall off a cliff as many people who own them paid a lot more than $5-10 for a #1, but it won't take long. I would give it a year at most before we see significant reductions across the board. There certainly isn't any upside between then and now.

Should I hang on too or dump the Batman New 52 #6 Capullo 1:200 Sketch Variant thats signed by Capullo and Snyder cgc 9.8

You said you bought it recently, its not an ideal time to be selling it. If you dont need to sell, I'd wait a few years and see where it goes. Double Signed makes it a lot safer than just a blue 9.8

Should I hang on too or dump the Batman New 52 #6 Capullo 1:200 Sketch Variant thats signed by Capullo and Snyder cgc 9.8

You said you bought it recently, its not an ideal time to be selling it. If you dont need to sell, I'd wait a few years and see where it goes. Double Signed makes it a lot safer than just a blue 9.8

The market is over-saturated with these variants and this one is already a few years old. Capullo and Snyder were a great team but aren't know for their covers like Dell'Otto or a Campbell. The signatures are nice but those two are going anywhere and sign a ton of stuff.

If you don't sell soon you will be lucky to get slabbing and shipping costs back. If you don't care by all means keep it, but if you are looking to maximize value you shouldn't wait years. There really isn't anything that special about it.

Hope is not a plan.

The market is over-saturated with these variants and this one is already a few years old. Capullo and Snyder were a great team but aren't know for their covers like Dell'Otto or a Campbell. The signatures are nice but those two are going anywhere and sign a ton of stuff.

Question, have either Campbell or Dell'Otto ever done interior art for a comic?

I'm genuinely curious to see how all these different variants do decades into the future.

I'm genuinely curious to see how all these different variants do decades into the future.

I mean, just a few :)

http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=473

http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=2493

Per Square's post, they have done a ton of books each.

To your point though, I think the variants will be worth equal to or only slightly more than the regular versions in the not so far future. Some of them are trading for ridiculous prices now, but there are literally hundreds of versions printed monthly as the large publishers cash in on the trends. There are a few variants that people collect hard-core, but they are small in numbers. It will take a buying/selling cycle or two for the prices to normalize (everyone buying in after the original sale overpaid and will list to try and recoup as much as possible), but they will come down.

I wouldn't be investing in them at all. Per an earlier post, the only way to make money on them is to buy at cover and flip quick.

I mean, just a few :)

http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=473

http://comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=2493

Campbell has only done a few stories in the last decade or so, but Dell'Otto has only done about a dozen in total.