• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Room for 750 Mylite 2s?

11 posts in this topic

On the Southeast High Grade Comic Collectors Meetup yesterday, we spoke to E. Gerber president George Kues. A topic of discussion was that the popular 775 (7 3/4") Mylite 2 bag did not fit in a standard longbox. Many people have been advised to use magazine boxes instead, but bags are not a tight fit, thus imperfect for some. Gerber has special acid free boxes, but they are expensive.

Bill Cole makes a pricier 7 3/8" mylar, maybe some folks use that with standard boxes.

Open question: if E. Gerber made 7 1/2" Mylite 2's (the hypothetical 750 M2) would you

- want them?

- order 500+ at a time?

- let it be treated as a custom order (wait 3-6 weeks)?

This assumes you could, in the future order from online sources other than Gerber directly (Gerber sells directly mostly by phone or to the trade).

Feedback welcome.

I don't know first hand because I use the CGC boxes for 775's and older but is it really only a matter of a 1/4" that is not enabling the 775's to fit in the standard box?

(Presently they will cut your boards to any spec but that does not offer a total solution.)

My biggest concern is giving up board space that adequately supports the comics especially when you start getting into 1970s. My ideal storage conditions is ample white space on both sides.

(Not implying this has anything to do with your post) ---> As a personal general operating methodology, I think if comics are being "stuffed" or placed in tighter bag/board combos in order to maintain some kind of overall schematic or uniformed design it kind of undermines the whole purpose of preservation in the first place.

I'd rather keep using the same bags and boards, if someone would make a box that is the same size as Gerber's expensive acid free box.

Are their acid free boxes available again? I tried to order more of them a long while back and they were out, and didn't have a date when they would be available again.

They are silly expensive, but I'll probably just suck it up and buy more of those boxes rather than mess around with different bags/boards.

I'd rather keep using the same bags and boards, if someone would make a box that is the same size as Gerber's expensive acid free box.

Are their acid free boxes available again? I tried to order more of them a long while back and they were out, and didn't have a date when they would be available again.

They are silly expensive, but I'll probably just suck it up and buy more of those boxes rather than mess around with different bags/boards.

Agreed. I'd be more interested in cheap boxes that are the same size as Gerber's acid free boxes. I think those are the only ones that will fit 775R (Archives) without being too oversized.

I don't know first hand because I use the CGC boxes for 775's and older but is it really only a matter of a 1/4" that is not enabling the 775's to fit in the standard box?

The BCW boxes have interior dimensions of 7 5/8" width x 10 7/8" height. The theoretical 750M2 would provide 1/8" combined clearance on the sides of the bag.

The E. Gerber POV was that a new box die is expensive and riskier, while they have more freedom & efficiency to produce new bag sizes. So from their perspective, not sure a new "standard" box would be a good step now.

The E. Gerber POV was that a new box die is expensive and riskier, while they have more freedom & efficiency to produce new bag sizes. So from their perspective, not sure a new "standard" box would be a good step now.

Hmm, in that case, I'd be interested in 500 pieces if they can keep ballpark cost around, say, $100 shipped.

I really like E Gerber products.

I unfortunately find them impossible to deal with.

I am in Canada, and it seems the only way to deal with them is to phone the international line. If you get an answer you talk to someone, place an order and then never get it. Nothing.

More often you have to leave a message and never hear from them.

The communication is what needs to be improved. Fix that, then we can talk about bag sizes.

I've been dying for them to make some 750's but I never voiced it to them.

The reasons are simple, there's a strange period in the mid seventies when they transitioned from silver age size to bronze age size;

but it gets confusing because some of these bronze age books are actually the 7'' wide size which I believe is referred to as silver age size. The 'true' bronze age books are about a quarter inch shorter.

In my pictures shown below, the size change took place between Dec '74 to Jan '75 at least with the doctor strange title.

I've always thought the 750 would be a perfect one-size-fits-all for this entire era of books. The 775M2 looks a bit too large on the 7'' book, but it is too wide for comfort in a 725M2 in my opinion, and drags heavily when inserted.

Comics squared left side to show width difference

5uKI4XX.jpg

mylar squared on left side to show width

YfLFhxt.jpg

The visual guide to mylar sizes thread here also shows this disparity quite easily. Scroll to silver age and notice how the 725 looks too small yet the 775 has way too much board showing. For now, I (& mschmidt) will be using/recommending the 775 for silver age.

I really wish they would do the 750 though. I could put everything in one size. They would need to re-think the board size too, though. 725 fullbacks/halfbacks I would guess? Frankly this would eliminate the need for 725, as everyone could just use 750 for ALL silver & bronze sizes.

Hopefully this would be useful in convincing there are more reasons than just for magazine/comic boxes to make the change.

I've been dying for them to make some 750's but I never voiced it to them.

The reasons are simple, there's a strange period in the mid seventies when they transitioned from silver age size to bronze age size;

but it gets confusing because some of these bronze age books are actually the 7'' wide size which I believe is referred to as silver age size. The 'true' bronze age books are about a quarter inch shorter.

In my pictures shown below, the size change took place between Dec '74 to Jan '75 at least with the doctor strange title.

I've always thought the 750 would be a perfect one-size-fits-all for this entire era of books. The 775M2 looks a bit too large on the 7'' book, but it is too wide for comfort in a 725M2 in my opinion, and drags heavily when inserted.

Comics squared left side to show width difference

5uKI4XX.jpg

mylar squared on left side to show width

YfLFhxt.jpg

The visual guide to mylar sizes thread here also shows this disparity quite easily. Scroll to silver age and notice how the 725 looks too small yet the 775 has way too much board showing. For now, I (& mschmidt) will be using/recommending the 775 for silver age.

I really wish they would do the 750 though. I could put everything in one size. They would need to re-think the board size too, though. 725 fullbacks/halfbacks I would guess? Frankly this would eliminate the need for 725, as everyone could just use 750 for ALL silver & bronze sizes.

Hopefully this would be useful in convincing there are more reasons than just for magazine/comic boxes to make the change.

Great post (thumbs u For me personally DS#5 is what I prefer. Might not be appealing for allot of folks. But I sleep much better at night knowing my books have ample support on both sides. I have 775's for everything across the board all the way up to 12/1979. And then jump to 725's. But I can completely understand why there is a need for 750, the standard box issue, etc.

Also enjoyed very much your other thread about your little easter egg hunt that went south :tonofbricks:

We need letsgrumble to chime in on this. I will alert him to this thread.