• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 2 from Marvel & Sony (7/5/19)
4 4

705 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Solid trailer but...the villains are elementals rather than Mysterio?

Doesn't inspire confidence because that kind of stupidity was featured in the first Ghost Rider film, where the primary villains were Blackheart's henchmen, literally elementals: Earth, Air, and Water (before we got to the "Big Bosses" -- Blackheart and Mephistopheles.)

Seriously, having a Spider-Man film rip off Ghost Rider is as idiotic as when Indiana Jones - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull _literally_ had the same ending as Predator 2.

Also...no hint of Shocker after the build-up in Homecoming?

I think Europe would explain no Shocker etc.  My Spidey- Sense tells me that Mysterio is making himself look like the hero and he’s a villain. 

34 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I think Europe would explain no Shocker etc.  My Spidey- Sense tells me that Mysterio is making himself look like the hero and he’s a villain. 

Yeah - I'm dumb. The obvious scenario is that Mysterio created the elemental villains himself -- and/or that they're working for him -- knowingly or unknowingly.

I'm just tired of the Earth/Wind/Fire/Water elemental trope.

I would have written Mysterio as more of a Lex Luthor-type business magnate who casts grand illusions that fool the city in his quest for hero-dom and/or political power. Not saying he's not doing so here -- but we'll see.

Mysterio looks freaking amazing flying around on the cloud.  (worship)

Since he's fighting the water elemental my immediate thought was that they're an effect he created to defeat in order to get publicity as a hero.

23 hours ago, fmaz said:

One of the things that’s particularly nice is how, for the first time in the films, they’ve finally captured (in a very modernized take) the Flash-Spidey-Peter dynamic.  That’s always been such an important part of the comics in the Silver/Bronze age and basically glossed over in the previous movies.  They’ve eliminated the trite “bully” stuff ... but kept the rest of it here, and it’s great!

While I enjoy how he bullies him socially because the new guy playing Flash has a great comedic delivery, I can't agree that they glossed over it in previous films.  One of my absolute favorite sequences from all of the Spidey films is Flash vs. Peter in the first film, and Joe Manganiello made a GREAT Flash Thompson with the size, mean and angry demeanor, and athleticism they always depicted the character as having.  This is an amazing scene, and without Manganiello being so imposing it wouldn't have worked.  They can't do things like this with the new guy, but I do like the idea that bullying can be about more than just physical intimidation.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Mysterio looks freaking amazing flying around on the cloud.  (worship)

Since he's fighting the water elemental my immediate thought was that they're an effect he created to defeat in order to get publicity as a hero.

yeah, Given Mysterio's MO, this seems like the most obvious scenario to me.

I strongly disliked the last Spider-Man movie, and this one looks like more of the same, but I'll probably see it because I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess.

Edited by F For Fake

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

While I enjoy how he bullies him socially because the new guy playing Flash has a great comedic delivery, I can't agree that they glossed over it in previous films.  One of my absolute favorite sequences from all of the Spidey films is Flash vs. Peter in the first film, and Joe Manganiello made a GREAT Flash Thompson with the size, mean and angry demeanor, and athleticism they always depicted the character as having.  This is an amazing scene, and without Manganiello being so imposing it wouldn't have worked.  They can't do things like this with the new guy, but I do like the idea that bullying can be about more than just physical intimidation.

I always thought this scene and relationship was very one note, and a real tonal miss from the original trilogy.  It was cool fight scene, I agree... but I Peter beating up Flash certainly didn’t ring true.  I don’t know... I just was never a fan of that take on things.   But maybe I was in the minority. 

38 minutes ago, fmaz said:

Peter beating up Flash certainly didn’t ring true

It worked because of when they timed it to happen during his origin story.  This scene was timed to take place on the morning after he was bitten by the spider and before he even realized he had powers.  Had this encounter happened after Uncle Ben had died and he realized he needed a secret identity then yea, this would have never happened, but doing it before he learned that "with great power comes great responsibility" made it fine.  MORE than fine because you feel the surge of adrenaline of him learning about his power right along with him--wow, I just took out Flash Thompson, a guy a foot taller and 70 pounds heavier!  :acclaim:  How did I do that?  :ohnoez:

Edited by fantastic_four

Man, Tom Holland does not look like a high school kid anymore.

He looks closer to 30 than 16 now.  In SM1 and IG it didn't stick out as much.  But in this trailer it's going to take a lot of pretending to believe that dude is still in school (or he was just left back a few times)

2 hours ago, BuzzKillington said:

Wow. Why is that?

It just rubbed me the wrong way, for some reason. I liked Michael Keaton a lot, and enjoyed his work in the movie, but otherwise nothing worked for me. It felt more like Iron Man Jr than Spider-Man. I'd be tempted to say that I'm just getting older and therefore a "Millenial Spidey" is just not something I'm going to enjoy, but I loved "Into the Spider-Verse", so who knows? 

3 hours ago, BuzzKillington said:

Wow. Why is that?

Plus a Spider-Man who doesn't know that it gets cold in outer space oughta get slapped. 

Edited by Skylath

It depends on who the director is and the story. Spider-Man 1 and 2 were great comic book movies since they had a good director, good stories, and an older Parker/Spider-man. The current pre-pubescent one is hit or miss (I am in the miss camp - still have not seen Homecoming). 

Edited by kimik