• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN 2 from Marvel & Sony (7/5/19)
4 4

705 posts in this topic

More about the Sony-MCU movie contract. And whether or not it is the 5-picture deal as has been noted multiple times, or did they extend it to 6 pictures.

With the release of Spider-Man: Far From Home, we could be facing the end of another era in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Fans just had to deal with the departures of popular heroes like Iron Man, Black Widow, and Captain America after the harrowing events of Avengers: Endgame. And while the new movies seem to pass the torch on to Peter Parker, we might just get one more film in the future of the franchise.

All of this comes down to the contract between Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures, with the latter still holding the rights to make movies based on Spider-Man. After the poor reception to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Sony essentially hired Marvel's production wing to make their Spider-Man films while also allowing them to include the character in their shared universe. That's when the two companies cast Tom Holland to play the character.

That initial deal was only signed for six movies with Holland, broken down to three solo films and three appearances in other Disney-distributed Marvel Studios movies.

So far, Holland's Spider-Man has appeared in Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers: Endgame, fulfilling that end of the bargain. Marvel Studios has also produced two solo films as of this week's Spider-Man: Far From Home, leaving just one more solo film in the pipeline.

It's possible that Sony and Marvel could extend their deal, possibly even expanding the scope to allow characters like Venom and Morbius the Living Vampire to take part in the MCU. Or, conversely, Sony could be emboldened by the success of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse and Venom, prompting them to strike out on their own once more and try to create their own Spider-Man movies again.

I wonder if there's an exclusivity or non-compete agreement in there re. having Holland as Spider-Man.

As in...could they could choose to continue to license Holland-as-Spider-Man to Disney but recast their own Peter Parker in 100% Sony-owned films.

As they did, say, having Jake Johnson voice Peter in Into the Spiderverse.

This could pave the way for having a different actor portray Peter and Spider-Man in spin-off films like Morbius, Venom 2, etc. while not mucking with the MCU continuity.

Shared right to the Spider-Man character mean that Sony cannot cast an exclusive Spectacular Sony-Man Peter Parker. Can they cast a non-Parker Spider-Man? Good question...

Far From Home Related:

Spoiler

Imagine a future where Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield both traverse the multiverse to Earth-616 and there are 3 Spider-Men for a brief time...

JJJ's continuous existence opens the opportunity for Marvel Studios to retcon both previous Spider-Man franchises into the MCU as alternate realities.

10 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Shared right to the Spider-Man character mean that Sony cannot cast an exclusive Spectacular Sony-Man Peter Parker. Can they cast a non-Parker Spider-Man? Good question...

Far From Home Related:

Hide contents

Imagine a future where Toby Maguire and Andrew Garfield both traverse the multiverse to Earth-616 and there are 3 Spider-Men for a brief time...

JJJ's continuous existence opens the opportunity for Marvel Studios to retcon both previous Spider-Man franchises into the MCU as alternate realities.

I am pretty sure you are right about this and there will be a Miles Morales solo live action Spider-Man movie made by Sony in the future.

So load up on Ultimate Fallout #4 . I was right about bitcoin and will be right about Ultimate Fallout #4 

CC

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Far From Home Related:

Reveal hidden contents

Huh?

I don't follow.

1) Sony already did cast a different Peter Parker (albeit from a different dimension), as well as a few non-Parker Spider-Men (and women) in Into the Spider-verse.

Have you seen copy from the contract that states Sony can't have Peter Parker, for example, appear in one of their live-action films? My understanding is it's the opposite -- that Sony owns the rights to Peter Parker and Spider-Man and that Marvel/Disney were effectively borrowing them from Sony for the MCU appearances, but that Marvel specifically owns Tom Holland's version/portrayal of the character -- not necessarily *all* uses of the character.

That implies that Sony *could potentially* introduce Peter Parker and Spider-Man in their own live-action films, as long as it's not Holland in the role.

And that's not without precedent.

Recall that 1983 saw the release of two James Bond films -- one "canon" EON production starring Roger Moore, and another "non-canon" film starring original Bond actor Sean Connery. 

EON actually killed off Bond arch-villain Blofeld in their 1981 Bond movie *specifically* to try to harm the competing 1983 film from the other studio that they knew was coming -- and would feature Blofeld as the villain.

Spoiler

2) How does JJJ appearing in Far From Home have any bearing on retcons or alternate universes? JJJ exists, just as Flash and MJ exist. Just because he happens to be played by the same actor as in some prior movies doesn't means he's the *same* JJJ character, or that there's any connection between the Holland universe and the Garfield or Maguire universes. If anything, the fact that The Bugle is now a TV tabloid rather than a hardcopy newspaper underscores that this version of JJJ is likely an entirely new character, totally unconnected to the prior JJJ.

14 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Huh?

I don't follow.

1) Sony already did cast a different Peter Parker (albeit from a different dimension), as well as a few non-Parker Spider-Men (and women) in Into the Spider-verse.

Have you seen copy from the contract that states Sony can't have Peter Parker, for example, appear in one of their live-action films? My understanding is it's the opposite -- that Sony owns the rights to Peter Parker and Spider-Man and that Marvel/Disney were effectively borrowing them from Sony for the MCU appearances, but that Marvel specifically owns Tom Holland's version/portrayal of the character -- not necessarily *all* uses of the character.

That implies that Sony *could potentially* introduce Peter Parker and Spider-Man in their own live-action films, as long as it's not Holland in the role.

And that's not without precedent.

Recall that 1983 saw the release of two James Bond films -- one "canon" EON production starring Roger Moore, and another "non-canon" film starring original Bond actor Sean Connery. 

EON actually killed off Bond arch-villain Blofeld in their 1981 Bond movie *specifically* to try to harm the competing 1983 film from the other studio that they knew was coming -- and would feature Blofeld as the villain.

Reveal hidden contents

2) How does JJJ appearing in Far From Home have any bearing on retcons or alternate universes? JJJ exists, just as Flash and MJ exist. Just because he happens to be played by the same actor as in some prior movies doesn't means he's the *same* JJJ character, or that there's any connection between the Holland universe and the Garfield or Maguire universes. If anything, the fact that The Bugle is now a TV tabloid rather than a hardcopy newspaper underscores that this version of JJJ is likely an entirely new character, totally unconnected to the prior JJJ.

Into the Spider-Verse is not a live action film. Marvel Studios does not share the rights to Sony Animated.

I thought that much would be 100% transparent. Voice acting is not being cast to completely portray a character...

The deal gives shared rights to Peter Parker's Spider-Man. So, if Marvel Studios wanted, they can allow/agree Sony to use Tom Holland and Peter Parker in their cinematic universe. He's a shared character. Kinda like, y'know, shared custody?

Peter Parker cannot be used by Sony unless agreed to by both parties.

How do the villains work? Do they all meet up say, "Sony, you have Venom, we'll use Mysterio etc etc etc"?

Spoiler

How does it not..? The 1970, let's call it Earth-833, universe is different from Earth-616. Why wouldn't Marvel Studios retcon prior franchises to fuse into the MCU?

I get the feeling that you're not understand the consequences of the alternate realities. The fact that JJJ in Earth-616 is different from JJJ in Spider-Man is exactly why it would be cool to retcon those franchises as alternate realities to the prime MCU timeline...

Spoiler

Just realized when Mysterio said Earth 616 I didn't give it a second thought apart from obviously knowing It is the prime comic universe. Then I remembered that MCU is Earth 199999. Since Mysterio was using a fake -script to sell his story was it just a nod for us comic fans or are they calling it 616 from now on.

16 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just realized when Mysterio said Earth 616 I didn't give it a second thought apart from obviously knowing It is the prime comic universe. Then I remembered that MCU is Earth 199999. Since Mysterio was using a fake --script to sell his story was it just a nod for us comic fans or are they calling it 616 from now on.

A few articles touched on this recently, so it may help with your question.

Spoiler

The Multiverse In Spider-Man: Far From Home Explained

According to Mysterio, the events of Avengers: Endgame damaged the fabric of reality itself, opening the MCU up to the wider Multiverse. Mysterio said he came from Earth-833, a reality that doesn't have a Spider-Man, where his world was ravaged and ultimately destroyed by the Elementals. The would-be sorcerer explained that he followed the Elementals to the MCU, which he refers to as Earth-616, in order to prevent them destroying another Earth.

It was a perfect lie, not least because Mysterio didn't claim to be a scientist himself. As a result, he could wave away any complicated questions - say, about the origins of the Elementals, or else about how he'd jumped between the dimensions himself - by simply explaining that his technical allies had handled all that. Much to Mysterio's delight, the fake origin story also proved to have a particular appeal to Spider-Man, with Peter Parker excitedly discussing the cosmological implications of the Multiverse.

That means everything Mysterio claimed - the existence of parallel Earths include 833, the MCU being Earth-616, and the impact of the snap - is false. However, it doesn't mean there isn't a Multiverse.

Ironically, although Mysterio doesn't originate from another dimension, most of what he said about the Multiverse is actually true in the MCU. The MCU first began teasing the Multiverse in the Thor films; one key scene in Thor: The Dark World saw Dr. Erik Selvig, the noted astrophysicist then consigned to a mental institution, jotting notes about the Multiverse on a chalkboard. The notes included a lot of real-world scientific jargon associated with theories about the Multiverse, as well as references to Marvel-specific concepts such as the 616 universe, the Nexus of All Realities, and two-dimensional gateways from the comics called the Fault and the Crossroads. Following on from that, the Grandmaster's Tower in Thor: Ragnarok confirmed that a Marvel character known as the Man-Thing had been one of the Grandmaster's previous Champions. In the comics, the Man-Thing is the guardian of the Nexus of All Realities, a powerful being strongly associated with the Multiverse.

Oddly, then, Spider-Man: Far From Home means the MCU has to tread very carefully now when it comes to the Multiverse. The idea has been introduced and then apparently debunked, which will naturally mean viewers will be more skeptical when they encounter it again. Fortunately, all that may be needed is a single film treating it seriously in order for audiences to move on; Doctor Strange 2 should do the job, and then the unlimited story potential of the Multiverse will be opened up once again.

I enjoyed it today. Its the first Spider-man film that really made me laugh a few times.
I thought they did Mysterio well. Mary Jane grew on me to the point where I liked her at the end.

Should I feel bad for lustful thoughts about Aunt May? :x

I love calling it the "Blip" that was great.

Overall a well done film. I will really miss Samuel Jackson when he stops doing Marvel films he 
is such a treasure. That comment about Spider-man and Space was classic.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 7/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, fmaz said:
Spoiler

"Dmitri" who never said anything but just seemed to blend into the background (LOLl) will end up being our good pal the Chameleon (Dmitri Smerdyakov ...i think that's how you spell it) at some point?

Stock up on his first appearance before it's too late.......

I went with my wife and kids last night.  I was pleasantly surprised and amazed on how they translated Mysterio to Film.  I probably missed most of the Easter Eggs (e.g. License Plate Numbers). I have zero qualms with how they modernized and translated his supporting cast.  The actors were incredible conveying the teenage awkwardness.

Worth a second viewing...

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Stock up on his first appearance before it's too late.......

Whatevs, man. I'm going hog-wild on ASM # 188!

Spoiler

The first appearance of Brad

Biggest plot hole in this movie:

Spoiler

Nick Fury the most paranoid man on earth didnt vette mysterio and go um hey this guy used to work for tony stark-