• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And its on to ComicConnect !

300 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on where the Double Action lot will end? hm

Anyone know what this ended at???

80 000$ for both books together.

Thank you!

I thought it might go for more than that. Maybe a limited number of interest in this oddity.

I thought it would go for higher as well, but I'm not complaining. Sometimes it just depends on the day of the week of the month of the year.

Anyone want to purchase a copy of Double Action #2 CGC 5.5 (slightly prof restored)?

Great pick up, Mark!

Truly awesome!

I would take those over any other lot in the auction.

don't think mark won them (shrug)

He placed the highest bid.

shows you what I know

Whiz #1 CGC 1.0 sold for a little over $27k. What do you guys think about the sale price? Seems pretty strong with all that misture of ugly tape on it.

It is a shocking price :o

Wonder if it will be a 9.6E soon hm

i think a 1.0 is infinitely more desirable than restored

Makes your 3.0 look like a steal! :o

Picked this up as I thought the price was ok and I wanted an upgrade to my existing copy. Now to sell some other books to pay for this along with a couple of others I still owe on :)

Planet16_zps8cflblqu.jpg

Sorry to cost you a few hundred. It was a good price. Nice buy.

No worries, I was chasing the #4 too, but dropped out at about $6600 or so. I probably would have had to have a fire sale if I had won that book...lol

Nice catch on the #16, Jason! I meant to track the #4 purely out of curiosity. Anyone know what it went for?

Picked this up as I thought the price was ok and I wanted an upgrade to my existing copy. Now to sell some other books to pay for this along with a couple of others I still owe on :)

Planet16_zps8cflblqu.jpg

Sorry to cost you a few hundred. It was a good price. Nice buy.

No worries, I was chasing the #4 too, but dropped out at about $6600 or so. I probably would have had to have a fire sale if I had won that book...lol

Nice catch on the #16, Jason! I meant to track the #4 purely out of curiosity. Anyone know what it went for?

$7,001

Whiz #1 CGC 1.0 sold for a little over $27k. What do you guys think about the sale price? Seems pretty strong with all that misture of ugly tape on it.

I don't recall seeing many IGB mega-restored books lately. Are they still at it?

I don't recall seeing many IGB mega-restored books lately. Are they still at it?

I asked myself that question just this week. Haven't seen any of their stuff for a while now. Could it be they closed up shop ?

Wasn't there a TOS 39 IGB in this auction?

They spat out at least 2 super high grade recreations in the past. Didn't notice a 9.6 or 9.8 in this auction, but if so possibly a past buyer getting rid of his junk. (shrug)

They spat out at least 2 super high grade recreations in the past. Didn't notice a 9.6 or 9.8 in this auction, but if so possibly a past buyer getting rid of his junk. (shrug)

I missed it, but it appears there was one TOS 39 link

Man, that seems awfully cheap. Hard to believe they can make anything selling at that price.

there is a 9.6E Adventures 40 coming up on CLINK not sure it is one of theirs or not.

Man, that seems awfully cheap. Hard to believe they can make anything selling at that price.

I do not want to sound like the stupid person in the room, but what is it about there books that make them so undesirable?

I am NOT a big fan of restoration and I do not own any of these books, I am just wondering what makes them worse than other restored books.

Is it the amount of restoration being done? I see "pieces added", which always bothers me. I always wonder things like "how big of a piece". If half the cover is missing and someone "recreates" it, is it a "piece added"?

When IGB first sold it, they certainly got much more for it than the 5K ( holy ! ) it fetched this time around. To me, past buyer who was introduced to butthurt this week.

Also, pretty sure it's the original IGB book that sold and was circulated and NOT a new one.

what is it about there books that make them so undesirable?

There's restored then there's Super-Duper-Restored-on-steroids (IGB).

The one that started it all ...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9028802

and then there's this ( where things really blew up )

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9068016

I do not want to sound like the stupid person in the room, but what is it about there books that make them so undesirable?

I am NOT a big fan of restoration and I do not own any of these books, I am just wondering what makes them worse than other restored books.

Is it the amount of restoration being done? I see "pieces added", which always bothers me. I always wonder things like "how big of a piece". If half the cover is missing and someone "recreates" it, is it a "piece added"?

As always it is a question of not knowing exactly what was done and people at opposite ends of the extreme. Some people will say there's no amount of restoration that's acceptable so every book might as well be 99 percent recreated. And then you have people who think that if you're going to seal a tear with visible archive tape just to hold it together well then hell you might as well repaint the entire thing and make it look like a 9.6. And the people in the middle who say that resto is okay I just want to know how much was done and whether it's reversirble, etc. they are not served.

Contributing to that are the extreme views about the importance of the label number. In the CC auction we saw an Iron Man #30, which cannot be reasonably argued as an important key (much less explained as such to a civilian) and numbers in the thousands or even tens of thousands of extant copies, sell for about as much as an example of Marvel's very first printed attempt at a superhero, which numbers about ten extant copies.

As always it is a question of not knowing exactly what was done and people at opposite ends of the extreme. Some people will say there's no amount of restoration that's acceptable so every book might as well be 99 percent recreated. And then you have people who think that if you're going to seal a tear with visible archive tape just to hold it together well then hell you might as well repaint the entire thing and make it look like a 9.6. And the people in the middle who say that resto is okay I just want to know how much was done and whether it's reversirble, etc. they are not served.

Contributing to that are the extreme views about the importance of the label number. In the CC auction we saw an Iron Man #30, which cannot be reasonably argued as an important key (much less explained as such to a civilian) and numbers in the thousands or even tens of thousands of extant copies, sell for about as much as an example of Marvel's very first printed attempt at a superhero, which numbers about ten extant copies.

IM 30 has a Bill Everett cover, while MPFW just has an Everett interior. (:

wait, what? An IM #30 sold for $15K?