• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STOLEN BOOK ALERT....... VA Comicon, December 10

34 posts in this topic

My buddy Donald had a very special book stolen at the VA Comicon today..... a Captain America 74 that had moderate resto done to it..... unfortunately the book is raw..... below is a photo of Donald and the book, one of his favorites in his collection. There were a few other smaller thefts reported, but I have no details on those. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

RZRlK85.jpg

My buddy Donald had a very special book stolen at the VA Comicon today..... a Captain America 74 that had moderate resto done to it..... unfortunately the book is raw..... below is a photo of Donald and the book, one of his favorites in his collection. There were a few other smaller thefts reported, but I have no details on those. GOD BLESS...

RZRlK85.jpg

that's a tough book..they don't come around often,so hopefully it will be discovered and returned soon.

:wishluck:

Sorry for your friend's loss. That's really awful.

I always wonder, are things like this premeditated? Do people come to these cons looking to commit crimes? Or is it a combination of opportunity and low moral character that is creating first-time thieves out of regular con-goers?

Because if it's the latter, then increased security by the people running the event can prevent this from happening. If it's the former, sadly, it's a lot more difficult.

Sorry for your friend's loss. That's really awful.

I always wonder, are things like this premeditated? Do people come to these cons looking to commit crimes? Or is it a combination of opportunity and low moral character that is creating first-time thieves out of regular con-goers?

Because if it's the latter, then increased security by the people running the event can prevent this from happening. If it's the former, sadly, it's a lot more difficult.

I would imagine a little of both, the people singled out as more vulnerable probably have fewer employees or may be alone.

One possible solution to stop it is either bringing a friend/employee as spotter or if you can't float that, only help one person at a time/one book at a time like a jewelry store does.

RZRlK85.jpg

Man, jimjum, I feel bad for your friend. Everyone who sees this should post this picture onto all their local comic book store's facebook page or email it to them. I'm in Indianapolis which is pretty far away but you never know. While my first thought is most criminals are some aren't so it can't hurt to be overzealous with getting the message out. They may take a trip to try to offload it.

That chunk/chip along the outer edge is a good identification mark that can ID the book raw or slabbed.

.... the resto was also done by a reputable party and documented..... unfortunately, Donald's disclosure records were with the book. I've tried hard to turn the corner and to live a good life these last 15 years..... but sometimes I just so desperately want to pop a cap in someone. GOD BLESS...

Some work in pairs-one to distract, one to steal.

That was the modus operandi of the people who stole an Amazing Fantasy #15 from an acquaintance of mine in Orange County a couple of years ago. The thief handed the comic off to somebody in the crowd, and then when people ran after him and caught him, he didn't have the comic and played dumb.

166742.jpg

Here is a close-up! A HUGE identifier is not only the moderate color touch that is evident on the front cover and spine, but the right chunk that is out was recent and was taped in from the back! Also these is a Bedrock sticker on the mylar it is in.

There was also a ASM 238 CGC 9.4 that was stolen from this booth and could accompany this book!

ok, I already called this person and advised him to do something I didn't think about yesterday when he told me this was taken...

I told him to contact the all the pawn shops and comic shops within a 20 mile radius of the con hotel and advise them on the situation and if they would take a quick phone photo of the person that is trying to sell the book. If the owner is willing - ask them to keep the books telling that "these are very pricy books and need to get extra funding for them let me make a call" use that phone call to CALL THE POLICE and try to stall the thieves as much as possible.

:mad:

I was standing there talking to Donald when we realized the book was gone. It's pretty sad to say the least. Donald is a super nice guy. I've bought quite a few books from him. Don't know if it's any help but most likely the book walked away somewhere between 11:30 and 12:30. I was at the booth looking at stuff from about 12:30 to 1:30 and it was kind of a lull, didn't see anyone nearby and certainly no one adept enough to swipe it whIle I was standing in front of its last known location.

It almost makes me want to go to cons looking for thieves. They have several tells-standing near merchandise looking around constantly to see if anyone is watching them is one of them.

It almost makes me want to go to cons looking for thieves. They have several tells-standing near merchandise looking around constantly to see if anyone is watching them is one of them.

And of course the obvious physical signs like twirling their waxed mustaches or ringing their hands while thinking of their next plot.