• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 15 - GRADE IS IN!!

53 posts in this topic

On 14/12/2016 at 7:14 AM, Gotham Kid said:

CBCS 3.5 ?

CGC 2.5/3.0

Do yourself a favor. No longer buy any of their mess.

And now? I think you have slipped past any objectivity where Voldy is concerned.

CGC have always been lenient on Marvel chipping. I thought 3.0 before I saw the post with the grade, but 3.5 is close enough.

Edited by AJD

On 3/21/2017 at 6:26 PM, Tbone911t said:

How so?

In that there would appear to be a consensus that the book got a high grade compared to estimates. That;s fortunate for you. Nothing to complain about. I don't think it to be socially awkward at all/ I still think a 3.0 was the accurate assessment. If you're selling it, you did well. 

10 minutes ago, David P Hartman said:

So $235 later, to get the 'same' grade?  You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn't fix the color breaking creases.  And Marvel chipping is looking more and more like leprosy.

There's not really any need for the negativity. "lipstick on a pig", "leprosy"? Really? It's still an AF15

These types of comments about other people's books should probably be kept to yourself. 

7 minutes ago, David P Hartman said:

And Marvel chipping is looking more and more like leprosy.

Is that how you think CGC see's it?  Personally defects caused by the production process don't really bother me that much.   Are you also indignant about the effect of writing and dust shadows?  To be ok with them, but find such offense to Marvel chipping seems selectively hypocritical.  

23 minutes ago, David P Hartman said:

So $235 later, to get the 'same' grade?  You can put lipstick on a pig, but that doesn't fix the color breaking creases.  And Marvel chipping is looking more and more like leprosy.

You're right....Lipstick on a pig. Spent $300 actually, not $235, on a book that if I sold today would make $5000+ in 6 months......man that Marvel chipping sucks. Bahahaha

I'm just saying Miss Piggy looks better in lipstick.  But why do they call it Marvel chipping, when it's the same presses in Sparta, Illinois that turned out the DC books?  Shouldn't there be an equal amount of DC chipping?  Why would the cutter/trimmer machines be more 'dull' just for the Marvel runs?  

I guess I was a little negative.  The back cover looks nice!  I'd just acquired a Captain Marvel Adventures #9 that was given a 3.0.  Yes there's a rolled spine and detached cover on one staple, but it's still intact (no chipping).  But that's a Fawcett from a different valve. Or at least the wrong metaphor for a three point five.  I'll admit this. I'd like to have it (AAF15)!  

I'm sure there are people who actually know why the chipping can be so intense in marvel books as opposed to others. It's beyond my pay grade but I certainly find it to be a glaring condition frequently on grades below a 5.5 actually and get terrible down below a 4.5 or so it seems to me.  To ignore chipping makes no sense to me since there is an  ample supply of books that simply don't have it. Somehow ignoring chipping while putting full focus on something like a small stain just muddies the waters. I think we would all like to have a level playing field as far as grading goes from CGC but we don't.  On high value books, it means thousands of dollars. It's probably better to bid the book and not the slabbed grade.  But.. that's sort of like telling someone to bid the 50 dollar bill, not the hundred dollar bill if you're asked about relative value. I personally like Franklin myself.

Owning an AF15 is quite an achievement in itself.  Monetizing it is a slippery slope. 

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I'm sure there are people who actually know why the chipping can be so intense in marvel books as opposed to others. It's beyond my pay grade but I certainly find it to be a glaring condition frequently on grades below a 5.5 actually and get terrible down below a 4.5 or so it seems to me.  To ignore chipping makes no sense to me since there is an  ample supply of books that simply don't have it. Somehow ignoring chipping while putting full focus on something like a small stain just muddies the waters. I think we would all like to have a level playing field as far as grading goes from CGC but we don't.  On high value books, it means thousands of dollars. It's probably better to bid the book and not the slabbed grade.  But.. that's sort of like telling someone to bid the 50 dollar bill, not the hundred dollar bill if you're asked about relative value. I personally like Franklin myself.

Owning an AF15 is quite an achievement in itself.  Monetizing it is a slippery slope. 

Aren't you the one that was bragging you had one of the best AF15s ever and was worth upwards of 60k and was going to be like a 7.0 and were going to make your face since you collected as a little kid...which then came back as a 5.0 or something well below the grade you predicted and yet you continue to harp on Mike for picking up a CBCS copy of the book, had it graded by CGC as the same grade and the 2 professional companies can't grade but you can...This is almost too comical.  I'm going to go roll on the floor and laugh about this now.

Edited by Iceman399

I indeed had great hopes for the AF15 . I based my scale on Overstreet when I started  and then got a dose of reality when it comes to the monetizing of comics. I've been learning hard.  I certainly didn't think I was insulting anyone commenting on chipping. I was observing that chip grading is something that has a lot of tolerance and I don't know why there are books with them and there are books without them getting a lot of latitude in the grades.  . Grading on this level is at this point opaque to me. I think this book could be a 3.0 and I think it could be a 3.5. If it's a 3.5, all the better for the owner. I wish him no ill will.