• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic book is Aquaman's 1st silver age appearance?

97 posts in this topic

Tricky call, as the other side of the Hulk 181 analogy is Darkseid and his cameo first appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134.

Aquaman is trickier yet in that he's one of those few D.C. Characters published continuously from the Golden Age right into the Silver Age (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Arrow being the only others, I think.) Like GA, Aquaman did it solely as a back-up feature, so maybe this argues for the Showcase? But I'm not confident.

What I do not get is they both say Origin but SC30 also says tryout issue why does CGC not say 1st silver age appearance like say SC4 with the Flash and SC22 with the Green Lantern.

Because unlike SA Flash and SA GL, it is not a complete revamp of the character. It's still Arthur Curry in the same costume from More Fun 73, but his origin has been updated for the late 50s modern reader with the introduction of Atlantis and other tweaks. Adventure 260 is the first SA app of the (updated, not revamped) character. SC 30 is a retelling of the origin in Adventure 260 by the same artist (Ramona Fradon) with generally the same layouts used in Adv 260. I have both books but I prefer Adv 260 because it predates SC 30 by nearly a year, and it's a tougher book in mid-grade or higher whereas SC 30 is not tough at all. Also, Adv 260 has an absolutely gorgeous Curt Swan cover.

My guess is SC30 gets more attention because Aquaman is on the cover.

I prefer Adventure 260 for the same reasons stated above. I also think it's the first time he's referred to as Arthur Curry (?)

I suppose a technical argument could be made that Adventure 229 is his first Silver Age appearance, in that the Silver Age began in October 1956.... but the real definitive SA changes didn't begin until 260.

Tricky call, as the other side of the Hulk 181 analogy is Darkseid and his cameo first appearance in Jimmy Olsen 134.

Comic book first appearances are like trying to learn the English language. There are hard and fast rules, but so many exceptions that it makes you question your own sanity.

Is it Adventure Comics 260 or is Showcase 30 or is it another book (it says origin and tryout but does not say 1st appearance)?

I am asking because I would like to add one to my collection some time in 2017.

Showcase 30 is the more significant key. That's not a put down on 260- a key for Aquaman collectors.

This question was raised in a prior thread concerning which of the two books was the more important key. Adventure Comics 260 is the SA origin issue but Showcase 30 is the first Aquaman in a book of his own. Period. (thumbs u

Best,

John

It's personal preference.

In a similar vein, Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly #1 is the actual 1st appearance of the Sub-Mariner. It predates Marvel #1. When the story was reprinted in Marvel #1 several pages of new art were added along with some color to the story (MPFW #1 is black and white with a comedy cover unrelated to Subby).

But the general consensus is split. May people don't want MPFW #1 even though it's extremely rare (only 10 or 11 copies in existence) because

1) Subby is not on the cover

2) It was never sold on newsstands

People buy what they like and should find enjoyment in that.

It's personal preference.

In a similar vein, Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly #1 is the actual 1st appearance of the Sub-Mariner. It predates Marvel #1. When the story was reprinted in Marvel #1 several pages of new art were added along with some color to the story (MPFW #1 is black and white with a comedy cover unrelated to Subby).

But the general consensus is split. May people don't want MPFW #1 even though it's extremely rare (only 10 or 11 copies in existence) because

1) Subby is not on the cover

2) It was never sold on newsstands

People buy what they like and should find enjoyment in that.

I wouldn't make this comparison to the Showcase 30 question. The history of Aquaman is a unique one- unlike any other. I posted this in the "Showcasing 30" thread a while back:

The spirited debates among boardies over the question concerning the SA Aquaman key centers around three books that each have a role in his history and development. Defining the SA Aquman key is no easy challenge. Solving the "riddle" of the Aquaman key is more challenging than identifying Sgt. Rock's 1st Appearance. The challenge in defining the SA Aquaman key has to do with his tryout issue, Showcase 30, and how this book's is defined. Before taking on the challenge presented by Showcase 30, it's important to mention the other two Aquaman keys that have been identified as the quintessential SA Aquaman key: Adventure Comics 260 and Aquaman 1. Both issues deserve their rightful place among the greatest SA Aquaman titles and it's enough to point out how books that provide Aquaman's first SA origin and subsequent number one issue are significant Aquaman SA keys. Interestingly, the arguments supporting these key books underscores the significance of Showcase 30 as the Aquaman tryout issue, his place in the Showcase run, and in DC's history. With two exceptions, Showcase 30 is in many ways similar to Showcase 9.The first exception is that Lois Lane lacks Aquaman's superhero status. The second exception will be pointed out later on. Both are the only tryout titles in the greatest part of the Showcase run that ended with the first appearance of the Metal Men in issue 37. Like Aquaman, Lois Lane was given a tryout issue long after the decline of the Golden Age superhero that coincided with the end of World War II and Wertham's subsequent attack on the comic book during the early '50s postwar period. Both characters had a continued run of appearances in the Superman-related books from the Golden Age right up to the early SA of DC. Lois Lane was awarded her own book but "Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane" was still a Superman-related title. What's important to point out here is that Lois Lane's tryout occurred in the Showcase title before she was placed in her own Superman-related book. Aquaman continued to appear in the Superman-related Adventure Comics title. When DC decided to take Batman and Superman and teamed them together to serve as the foundation of the new "Justice Society-like" team revamp in issue BB 28, Aquaman now regularly appeared in the new juxtaposed Superman-Batman-related title, BB 28. In similar fashion, Aquaman, like Lois Lane, was subsequently given his tryout in Showcase 30. However here is where the earlier mentioned second exception arises- unlike Lois Lane's continued place in the Superman-related titles, Showcase 30 was the first Aquaman book that was not a part of either the Superman nor Batman related titles. This made Showcase 30 the most significant point in the SA history of Aquaman. Aquaman was entirely on "his own" - for the first time in DC's history.

Showcase 30 is a very special book, not just an origin of a character but the origin of a character in his own book- a first for Aquaman without the necessary # 1 on the cover of his lesser key in '62.

Even though I'm not an Aquaman or a DC guy, I too think Showcase #30 is the better Aquaman book but I wasn't really trying to draw an exact parallel.

I was trying to show that there are always reasons to like or dislike something about a book.

I personally believe many people are taking future investment value into account but if you are collecting for enjoyment it's easier to be more clear on what you like (or want).

That was my point.

Even though I'm not an Aquaman or a DC guy, I too think Showcase #30 is the better Aquaman book but I wasn't really trying to draw an exact parallel.

I was trying to show that there are always reasons to like or dislike something about a book.

I personally believe many people are taking future investment value into account but if you are collecting for enjoyment it's easier to be more clear on what you like (or want).

That was my point.

Point taken.

I have all three, I just think the Showcase cover is prettier.

That's really the solution, just get all three;);)

I have all three as well!

In fact, I have multiple copies of each, I like them so much. (It may sound silly, but there it is ...) :)

I tend to "value" (whatever that means) the Adv 260 the most, especially since it is the hardest to find even in mid-grade.