• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second Most Important Flash Book (of the Silver Age)

48 posts in this topic

I vote for Flash 110. Awesome cover and first appearance of Wally West, who was the Flash for many of us collectors in our 20s and 30s.

Wally is definitely my Flash, and I was thrilled to get a #110 last year. All that being said, historically #123 had a much bigger impact on the DCU. It rippled through everything DC did subsequently, and depending on how they rationalize Rebirth it may still be influencing what they're dong.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:12 AM, streyouttacomics said:

I'm leaning towards showcase 8, surprised no one voted for it hm

It's the second appearance of the flash, the first appearance of his first (and a major) villain, came out in '57 and it seems to be the most HTF and costly of the 3

Flash 105 would be a close second imo

Yeah I know this is very old (but so is the start of the Silver age), but as a Flash tragic, just wanted to post my thoughts. I went for SC8 when I was into it back in the 80s. Hard to find then (especially in Australia) and harder to find now in decent grade, (or shall I say more expensive than I like). Reason back then was Captain Cold. This was long before John's raised him in the DC universe when in the Wally run he had no friends. Simply is a key book in comicdom. In 1957 superheroes were dead. Just ask Stan. It was detectives, westerns, war, adventure, Sci-Fi, romance, monsters (guide friendly of course). No one believed people in funny costumes could make a come back.

Broome invented Cold and Infantino made sure that no one would miss him. Back in the Golden Age there were Nazi's spy's on every corner, gangsters, mad scientists and the occasional super villain. The villains of that era were drab and functional for the most part. Not Cold. I would be happy to argue that Kanigher's writing although adequate in the origin was not enough to sustain the interest and turn the market 180 degs. (read any early 60s WW lately). If there was no Cold, then maybe no Flash reboot, then no Spider-man, no FF, no X-Men, no Hulk, well maybe Hulk, he is a Monster which was Marvel's bread and butter. We will never know but I think it is more than just a second appearance.

38 minutes ago, Terry E. said:

Yeah I know this is very old (but so is the start of the Silver age), but as a Flash tragic, just wanted to post my thoughts. I went for SC8 when I was into it back in the 80s. Hard to find then (especially in Australia) and harder to find now in decent grade, (or shall I say more expensive than I like). Reason back then was Captain Cold. This was long before John's raised him in the DC universe when in the Wally run he had no friends. Simply is a key book in comicdom. In 1957 superheroes were dead. Just ask Stan. It was detectives, westerns, war, adventure, Sci-Fi, romance, monsters (guide friendly of course). No one believed people in funny costumes could make a come back.

Broome invented Cold and Infantino made sure that no one would miss him. Back in the Golden Age there were Nazi's spy's on every corner, gangsters, mad scientists and the occasional super villain. The villains of that era were drab and functional for the most part. Not Cold. I would be happy to argue that Kanigher's writing although adequate in the origin was not enough to sustain the interest and turn the market 180 degs. (read any early 60s WW lately). If there was no Cold, then maybe no Flash reboot, then no Spider-man, no FF, no X-Men, no Hulk, well maybe Hulk, he is a Monster which was Marvel's bread and butter. We will never know but I think it is more than just a second appearance.

I like this....while the extent of the book's impact is speculative, at the very least the argument that Cold is the first significant Silver Age villain creation is a significant point. At the very least it's a great argument that the book is still underrated.

I'm not sure that Marvel doesn't happen though; when you look at the Challs then look at some of Stan and Jack's early efforts (Dr Droom, TTA27, TOS 32, Two-Gun Kid 60, first two costume-free FF's) the idea of uncostumed sci-fi type heroes with regular guy lives seems to be percolating for a while. The Spidey of AF15 isn't much beyond this; the costume is a vehicle Peter's efforts at celebrity. Things moved quickly, and he was the turning point, but the same seeds were there.

I also like the argument for the impact of Flash 123; this the Avengers 4 of the DCU. While Showcase 4 and 8 and FF1 may have birthed the silver age, the role of Avengers 4 and Flash 123 in ensuring the momentum is sometimes overlooked. Through two different routes, these books bring the Golden Age into the Silver Age, and the concept of continuity is brought to the forefront. 

38 minutes ago, Terry E. said:

I like this....while the extent of the book's impact is speculative, at the very least the argument that Cold is the first significant Silver Age villain creation is a significant point. At the very least it's a great argument that the book is still underrated.

I'm not sure that Marvel doesn't happen though; when you look at the Challs then look at some of Stan and Jack's early efforts (Dr Droom, TTA27, TOS 32, Two-Gun Kid 60, first two costume-free FF's) the idea of uncostumed sci-fi type heroes with regular guy lives seems to be percolating for a while. The Spidey of AF15 isn't much beyond this; the costume is a vehicle Peter's efforts at celebrity. Things moved quickly, and he was the turning point, but the same seeds were there.

I also like the argument for the impact of Flash 123; this the Avengers 4 of the DCU. While Showcase 4 and 8 and FF1 may have birthed the silver age, the role of Avengers 4 and Flash 123 in ensuring the momentum is sometimes overlooked. Through two different routes, these books bring the Golden Age into the Silver Age, and the concept of continuity is brought to the forefront. 

Thanks for that. My thinking is that Broome's villains, starting with Cold were super powered and Infantino added the eye appeal. Superman's villains were thinkers. Toyman Luthor, Batman's were also thinkers, warped thinkers but thinkers. Villains in the 40's and 50's were supported with a team of crooks, the hired muscle. Cold was a stand alone guy with a super gun. It took a while to take root, (was it Schiff's) Batman were still fighting aliens on strange worlds.

Marvel's villiains followed that path. Vulture, Lizard, Sandman, Dr. Ock, Dr. Doom. The villain was front and centre. not a gang leader.

Kanigher's stories were right out of the world of Wonder Woman

I think that run of Cold, Mr. Element, Dr. A, Mirror Master and three issues of Grodd, was what  made Flash a success and separates him from his 1940s counterpart.

That Flash - super-hero, vs Captain Cold, colourful super powered crook was the formula that so much of what followed was based on.

and whether Marvel would have done what they did without the Success of the Flash we will never know.

apart from that it would be 105 then 123.

My vote is 105 - first issues to series are always important especially during the beginning stages of the silver age. Some people say it’s not the best cover but I really dig it - maybe it’s the bold colors. 

On 10/12/2017 at 6:12 PM, Robo99 said:

My vote is 105 - first issues to series are always important especially during the beginning stages of the silver age. Some people say it’s not the best cover but I really dig it - maybe it’s the bold colors. 

I always prefer Flash 112, the first appearance of the Elongated Man.  I have a beautiful Fine copy and have read the stories a number of times.  Great origin story of an underrated character in the DC SA Universe.