• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Second Most Important Flash Book (of the Silver Age)

48 posts in this topic

Having sold my SC4 and with prices sky-rocketing like they are, I doubt I will be able to replace it/I doubt I will be able to stomach trying to replace it :grin:

So I was trying to think what a suitable substitute for it may be, which caused me to wonder what the second most important silver age flash book is. To me the contenders would be:

- Showcase 8

- Showcase 13

- Showcase 14

- Flash 105

- Flash 110

- Flash 123

- Flash 139

In terms of being second most important - I personally think it comes down to Showcase 8, Flash 105 or Flash 123. I would give the edge to Flash 123 - but wanted to hear other opinions.

Another vote for 123.

- Showcase 8: 2nd appearance

- Showcase 13: 3rd appearance

- Showcase 14: 4th appearance

- Flash 105: 5th appearance

- Flash 110: new character introduction

- Flash 123: start of the most significant non-origin storyline in DC's history, plus, THE classic cover of the D.C. Silver age

- Flash 139: new rogue introduced

I've got to go with Flash 123 as well. Iconic cover along with the introduction of the multiverse.

My reasoning as well. I think the multiverse idea is one of the most important (non-first appearance) events in the DC universe. I am actually shocked Flash 123 is not more highly regarded than it is.

But I also understand the significance of Flash 105 and the scarcity and importance of SC8. So it is a tough call still. But to me Flash 123 is important not only for the Flash, but also the Flash's role in the DC universe.

I vote Flash 105. It represents DC's first monthly commitment to a superhero that is NOT anchored by Supes/Bats. I consider Flash 105 to be the confirmation book that DC's silver age was underway.

Pretty good argument why Flash 105 gets the nod. Considering super-heroes (except the DC Trinity) were pretty much left for dead, and add to that the fact that National decides to pick up the issue numbering where Flash Comics 104 left off 10 years earlier in 1949. Yep, this was National's affirmation that the sales figures from Showcase were not a fluke, young kids liked the idea of revamping their GA characters, and re-investment in super-heroes is the future of the comic medium.

And 1st App of Mirror Master!

That being said, the cover to Flash 123 is epic, iconic, ridiculous, etc. One of the greatest covers of the Silver Age.

I get the argument for 105, but I vote for 123. I think that it (along with Avengers 4) are both still underappreciated for bringing the golden age forward into the silver age and essentially establishing the importance of the concept of continuity (which modern creators seem to have forgotten mostly, in a world where every six months is basically a new "What If?" Miniseries in every title, but that's another rant)....

Anyway, this is the reason that over in the "what is your flagship book" thread I picked these 2 as the last two books I would part with, even though they may not be my most valuable, rarest, etc.

Interesting opinions thus far.

I am bit surprised there has been no love for Flash 110 - but perhaps I just overvalue it (while I don't think it should be the #2 book (or number one in this group) I am surprised that it doesn't have some backers ..... I guess no Wally fans).

I vote Flash 105. It represents DC's first monthly commitment to a superhero that is NOT anchored by Supes/Bats. I consider Flash 105 to be the confirmation book that DC's silver age was underway.

Pretty good argument why Flash 105 gets the nod. Considering super-heroes (except the DC Trinity) were pretty much left for dead, and add to that the fact that National decides to pick up the issue numbering where Flash Comics 104 left off 10 years earlier in 1949. Yep, this was National's affirmation that the sales figures from Showcase were not a fluke, young kids liked the idea of revamping their GA characters, and re-investment in super-heroes is the future of the comic medium.

+2

For me, this is also exactly why Flash 105 is ahead of the rest of the pack here for 2nd place behind SC 4. (thumbs u

I think within the Flash world you could make a case for 105 or 110. However, if you're talking about importance to the broader DC universe and comics at large, Flash 123 had FAR greater implications and impact. It literally led to reboots of DC's most iconic characters, not to mention the cancellation/restart of comic series that had been going since the 1930s/'40s.