• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official UNDERRATED COVERS thread... Add your favorites!
4 4

92 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was pretty sure this topic has been done but wasn't able to find anything. Is it me or is the search on here the absolute worst? Here's one I think is awesome but rarely spoken about:

1705518-incredible_hulk__1962_1999_1st_series__344.jpeg

Edited by TheAvenger80

Me too, but on the other hand, this one and the horror covers thread over in Bronze are both lengthening my shopping list of undervalued gems to pick up....I love a bargain, but sometimes I string together quite a few then think back and decide I could have added another nifty key instead. But a lot of the kind of stuff we're talking about here is also relatively highly liquid and low price point....I think I just talked myself into keeping it up..... doh!

Edited by Readcomix

Sorry, but there's no way I can boil down it down to a top 3. So here are 3 more for consideration. This time I really tried to focus on the underrated...

ZZIxkcim.jpgjALzun6m.jpga3mkxQ6m.jpgb3LONeUm.jpg

Elementals #3 - I loved Willingham's wraparound covers, but this one in particular always stood out. It's so dynamic and destructive. Elementals pioneered wide-screen comix decades before The Authority and The Ultimates finally made them cool. This cover perfectly captures the tone of what is perhaps the most underrated super-hero series of all time.

Tales of the Teen Titans #45 - The latter issues of this series don't always get as much attention, but Pérez was at the top of his game by this time. Every cover from #30 on is a masterwork. This one has stuck with me because of the intricate level of detail. (It's almost too much detail!) The fact that Aqualad & Aquagirl were not significant players in the Teen Titans narrative only made it more striking to see them suddenly in the spotlight. It's almost as if they were blaming the reader for ignoring them!

Miracleman #5 - You will find no shortage of deprivation-tanked protagonists, from Luke Skywalker on Hoth, to The Fringe (TV show) and New 52 Superboy. But no image can surpass Paul Gulacy's stunning cover. There is a tension between the flat, technical details of the image (you can count every rib!), and the 3D cage generated by those bubbles. I also love the murky green color they chose for the water.

You don't see this one very often. It's not talked about too much but I think it is a haunting image.

scan0005-1.jpg

This is the only Phantom comic I own. It has such a awesome image to me.

scan0023.jpg

This last cover is a pretty well known comic, but price wise it doesn't bring near the amounts that other horror/melting covers bring.

shock7.jpg

Here's some random ones I have in Photobucket that are my top favs.

I love that Wild Women cover. The book itself has an odd mix of content.

jungleboks_zps1vnaatah.jpg

I have several favorite Romance covers I adore. But those are celebrated more often that this gem.

FallingLove99.jpg

Barbie 44 - There are several Barbie and Barbie Fashion that win my heart but this one is just my favorite comic cover.

B44_zpsa7ea91ea.jpg

I had the whole run of these and had to keep this cover. I keep the Cerebus strip ones too.

Epic_zpsgrybiqsu.jpg

This is in such terrible condition but it remains seated on my computer desk to enjoy daily.

WF30Scan_zps0yf7ap56.jpg