• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit signatures?

3 posts in this topic

I just recently purchased a few modern books with signatures that looked legit to me but I am no expert. Not spending that much I didn't feel the need to get any outside authentication.

That said has anyone observed any fake signatures out in the wild? If so what was the book and what was the signature? I'm not trying to stir up something that isn't a common problem but just curious how prevalent it is out there.

I can think of at least one example of a book that was "signed" that wasn't printed until well after the "signer" died. But, other than that, I don't think there's any way to prove or disprove an unwitnessed/uncertified signature. Even if it looks perfect, it could be fake; and, even if it looks awful, it could be real.

(edit: also, if the signature says "steve ditko" and it's on a comic, you should be extremely skeptical.)

I can think of at least one example of a book that was "signed" that wasn't printed until well after the "signer" died. But, other than that, I don't think there's any way to prove or disprove an unwitnessed/uncertified signature. Even if it looks perfect, it could be fake; and, even if it looks awful, it could be real.

(edit: also, if the signature says "steve ditko" and it's on a comic, you should be extremely skeptical.)

Further edit: if the label says "PGX" and "authenticated", consider running fast.

I did call out a guy last year for what I thought were fake signatures on a couple ungraded drek Wolverine books (though they were mega keys according to his listings), specifically citing Tim Townsend's sig. He asked me something like "do you mean Tim of Frank?" (can't remember the other name for sure). Since Tim was the only Townsend to do work on the Wolverine series, I had my answer. So yes, they're certainly out there.