• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mylars, Bags, and boards . . oh my . . .

39 posts in this topic

I have a question, should I use acid-free comic boxes or just regular ones? And are acid-free boxes required for storing CGC graded comics? Or is a Mylar case/bag protection enough?

E. Gerber's site says: "Acid-Free Boxes: If you do use poly-bags for storing your comics, (after being shot for crimes against comics), then you should most definitely use AF boxes. If you already store your comics in Mylar then the Acid-Free nature of the boxes is not essential, but it is still desirable.

What is the consensus here?

(shrug)

From my understanding, acid free boxes are only beneficial to books in the open top mylars without the flaps. Other than that, regular boxes are fine for books in mylar with the flaps

Books that I just want stored in the garage that I don't care about/worthless I use whatever bag/board I have floating around at the time.

Books that I have stored in a shorty in a closet I have M2 and full backs inside of top loaders to prevent any warping. Those are usually variants I'm waiting for the market to heat up on, or books I'll sub.

Jerome

I just pulled out some comics that I bought in 1994 or so that were bagged and boarded when i bought them, but i see the boards weren't real comic boards, just regular thin cardboard. so they have been in there for 22+ years and had probably been in those bags/boards for years already. the backs of the comics are nice and white and pristine (and the bags were in pretty good shape to). go figure.

Its funny that I had the same situation with a different result. Mine had a ghost image of the ink on the cardboard, the comic seems ok but probably lost a little color I would assume. Not sure you would know unless told, though.

http://i.imgur.com/DU9L9Xy.jpg

Thats all I needed to see to realize I'm buying E gerbers for anything over $10.

Here is another question re: storing CGC slabs (now that the consensus seems to be acid-free boxes are not required). Do slabs have to be stored upright like bagged comics? Or are they fine being stored flat, or on their sides?

Here is another question re: storing CGC slabs (now that the consensus seems to be acid-free boxes are not required). Do slabs have to be stored upright like bagged comics? Or are they fine being stored flat, or on their sides?

I store my slabs on their side (spine side). Over time gravity will pull the book down in the inner well causing pressure to build up where the paper meets the edge of the inner well. This can result in damage to the edge of the comic.

This thread is your friend: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3413482

Personally, I got 725 M2 with 700 FB for raws and 914 M2 for slabs. Looks swweeeet.

Recommend dealing with Drew ( InvstmntComcSuply ) here on the boards.

Bad News

Out of curiosity, does anyone here store multiple comics per bag? I wanted to re-read some comics (all moderns, not particularly valuable) and I found it annoying to deal with individual bags and boards per comic.

I'm now redoing my storage strategy and instead of individual standard resealable polybag + 700HB, I'm doing complete story arcs (4-8 issues) in one polybag + 675FB. Even with the upgrade to Full-Backs, it still saves money on supplies (from $0.15/issue to ~$0.03-0.06/issue) and takes up less space in the short box. :grin:

I just pulled out some comics that I bought in 1994 or so that were bagged and boarded when i bought them, but i see the boards weren't real comic boards, just regular thin cardboard. so they have been in there for 22+ years and had probably been in those bags/boards for years already. the backs of the comics are nice and white and pristine (and the bags were in pretty good shape to). go figure.

Its funny that I had the same situation with a different result. Mine had a ghost image of the ink on the cardboard, the comic seems ok but probably lost a little color I would assume. Not sure you would know unless told, though.

Thats all I needed to see to realize I'm buying E gerbers for anything over $10.

I've seen that with backs that look to be real backs, but I guess the "coating" was nonsense

Out of curiosity, does anyone here store multiple comics per bag? I wanted to re-read some comics (all moderns, not particularly valuable) and I found it annoying to deal with individual bags and boards per comic.

I'm now redoing my storage strategy and instead of individual standard resealable polybag + 700HB, I'm doing complete story arcs (4-8 issues) in one polybag + 675FB. Even with the upgrade to Full-Backs, it still saves money on supplies (from $0.15/issue to ~$0.03-0.06/issue) and takes up less space in the short box. :grin:

Yes, I will often put multiples of the same issue in one bag/board or if I have consecutive numbers. generally with cheaper books, moderns, etc. I find that a silver age bag with a silver board holds several modern/bronze books nicely.

I've seen that with backs that look to be real backs, but I guess the "coating" was nonsense

Coating technically isn't nonsense. It just wasn't meant to last forever. :D

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4534727

Meaning I think the "coating" on these boards was not acid free buffer yaddah yaddah but rather white paint or something

Meaning I think the "coating" on these boards was not acid free buffer yaddah yaddah but rather white paint or something

Nah. Just your standard acid-base reaction until you reach equilibrium.

But yeah, the base buffer is pretty much just "painted" on one side. Cardboard itself is still acidic so you pretty much have two sources of acid eating up the base coating - the comic and the cardboard.

*Note: Not a chemist. Just some stuff I remember from high school/college chemistry classes.

except i have plenty of boards that look fine after 20+ years

Looking fine doesn't automatically translate to a neutral pH. :D

Also, environment plays a huge part. Consistently cold temperatures and low relative humidity should slow down the reaction.

There was a reseller on ebay selling 1000 for $268.00 with free shipping, that was without boards.

I think based on your feedback I may just go with this

Just warning on E. Gerber, their ordering system is kinda antiquated (phone or fax) and it might take a couple weeks or might be longer to get your shipment. That said, aside from the slowness, I've never had any problems with my orders.

Yes, same here. I've never had a problem with my orders. You do have to call them too place an order and Mylites 2 rock!

except i have plenty of boards that look fine after 20+ years

Looking fine doesn't automatically translate to a neutral pH. :D

Also, environment plays a huge part. Consistently cold temperatures and low relative humidity should slow down the reaction.

ok, the back side of the book has not come off on the boards.

I need to get more Mylite 2's and half backs but the shipping is so expensive in Canada from E. Gerber...

Anyone Canadian boardies know of a good dealer on these with reasonable shipping costs?

Thanks!

Bags Unlimited.

Can order and have it shipped within Canada.

They have a product just like mylite 2's and half backs.