• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

Guys,

This information has been touched on in other threads, but none of them seemed to go anywhere and most of them included lots of pointless bickering. So here's my own attempt to clarify the existence of Marvel newsstand price variants.

Back in the day when I was an ASM Completist, I collected the following books:

v2pv.PNG.1a4a97edf1fbcbcba8cdc41097e83be6.PNG

As you can see, as well as the usual $1.99 Direct Editions, three Newsstand versions exist for each ASM numbers 10, 11 and 13 at $1.99, $2.29 and $2.49. I never found an issue 12, but I think Marvel skipped that one as it was a double sized $2.99 special issue.

So it looks like Marvel did a similar test market exercise to the 30 / 35 cent variants unless anyone can identify another reason as to why they would produce three different Newsstand prices for the same issue.

Being an ASM Completist, I never went too much further to see if the price variants existed for all titles, but the few scans I kept from online sources seem to indicate that they do. Here are all nine Spideys:

58bad3f52cb43_v2101_99.thumb.jpg.f82dc62cc58053dd9cec0ba3e1e2bc64.jpg

58bad3f7a7625_v2102_29.thumb.jpg.5727775cbe84290410d43231e858de00.jpg

58bad3f9a196b_v2102_49.thumb.jpg.bec42ac52ae4b73ead7a038d2c1eb538.jpg

58bad3fb47056_v2111_99.thumb.jpg.4fad1122bb41a2abe8f0ae57ffe609dc.jpg

58bad3fe4bff8_v2112_29.thumb.jpg.3d306dce2e5362a7a49e8c8f232c2166.jpg

58bad3ffd0bf9_v2112_49.thumb.jpg.c393afb5ba1ebe4330620c042c36c0f9.jpg

58bad401b6e1a_v2131_99.thumb.jpg.b505280b3a2021ade5ae5a65f92767f0.jpg

58bad4038838e_v2132_29.thumb.jpg.024b342d1ea9cf866ae7a3f523d0cca9.jpg

58bad4053ccd0_v2132_49.thumb.jpg.d475d7113a3434cd4e1e4c37fe6c9300.jpg

I'm a little surprised that there is not more definitive information out there about these, given the amount of collectors who go after price variants. So, does anyone have any more examples to add, or additional information? Is anyone interested in hunting them all down? My days are done, but it would be a great pass time for a 30 / 35 cv collector who had achieved the set and was looking for a new challenge....

Onwards! (thumbsu

Guys,

This information has been touched on in other threads, but none of them seemed to go anywhere and most of them included lots of pointless bickering. So here's my own attempt to clarify the existence of Marvel newsstand price variants.

Back in the day when I was an ASM Completist, I collected the following books:

v2pv_zpsyidqanku.png

Capture_zpsipdqpqcz.png

As you can see, as well as the usual $1.99 Direct Editions, three Newsstand versions exist for each ASM numbers 10, 11 and 13 at $1.99, $2.29 and $2.49. I never found an issue 12, but I think Marvel skipped that one as it was a double sized $2.99 special issue.

So it looks like Marvel did a similar test market exercise to the 30 / 35 cent variants unless anyone can identify another reason as to why they would produce three different Newsstand prices for the same issue.

Being an ASM Completist, I never went too much further to see if the price variants existed for all titles, but the few scans I kept from online sources seem to indicate that they do. The following three issues all have a 'regular' newsstand price of $1.99:

30665829696.24.NEWSSTAND_zpsz7f2x8u0.gif

86928513952.18.NEWSSTAND_zpsbesemi3z.gif

97994586432.93.2.49.COVER_zpsmaub3ggl.gif

I'm a little surprised that there is not more definitive information out there about these, given the amount of collectors who go after price variants. So, does anyone have any more examples to add, or additional information? Is anyone interested in hunting them all down? My days are done, but it would be a great pass time for a 30 / 35 cv collector who had achieved the set and was looking for a new challenge....

Onwards! (thumbs u

Good luck with this thread (thumbs u

lol These are ACTUAL price variants, Aweandlorder. These are not just newsstand editions that happen to have a different price than the DM editions. These are all identical except for the price, hence "price variant."

lol These are ACTUAL price variants, Aweandlorder. These are not just newsstand editions that happen to have a different price than the DM editions. These are all identical except for the price, hence "price variant."

Hmmm. That's why I started a new thread, to get away from bickering. Facts aside, no bickering please. :cool:

So all newsstands that are priced the same as DM books are same as newsstands priced higher/lower than DM ones. Got it

So all newsstands that are priced the same as DM books are same as newsstands priced higher/lower than DM ones. Got it

Yes, unless they are the same issue (like the ones posted in this thread).

Please don't allow your ignorance and stupidity to ruin Dog Like Sparky's thread.

Please don't allow your ignorance and stupidity to ruin Dog Like Sparky's thread.

Ladies! Ladies whoa!

Looks like I hit her nervers again!

What is it about you and people not agreeing with you, disagreeing with others

I mean I could kill you again with insults but I believe in civility

A similar book printed with 2 different prices indicates that one of them is a price variant. Period. Regardless if it has a barcode, a bat, or a spider in a box (or packed in a bag with a digital code for that matter)

If this was a regular practice it would not have been discussed here or HERE

If this was a regular practice it would not have been discussed here or HERE

"Here" (this thread) does contain price variants. I'm not sure how linking to your thread where multiple people told you they weren't price variants (they're just the only newsstand editions, with a trivial price difference from DMs) helps you in any way, but whatever. Please stop ruining Dog Like Sparky's thread.

Back on topic, I would love to know why these were made and how they were distributed, especially because three newsstand editions were made.

Ladies! Ladies whoa!

OK guys, you've pretty much ruined the thread now so I won't be contributing anything further after this. My intention was to try to expand on our collective knowledge in this area, not to squabble like children. I doubt any board member with something to add will do so with this nonsense going on. Another missed opportunity. Thanks and good night.

Ladies! Ladies whoa!

OK guys, you've pretty much ruined the thread now so I won't be contributing anything further after this. My intention was to try to expand on our collective knowledge in this area, not to squabble like children. I doubt any board member with something to add will do so with this nonsense going on. Another missed opportunity. Thanks and good night.

Couldnt agree more. I had/have nothing but praise for this thread