• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

The chart shows that you have a Thor 17, but not a 19. Need us to find a 19?

Yes please FD, 17 was a typo :)

Version 2.0 - just Thor 19 to complete the regular newsstand copies now

2.0.thumb.PNG.208dd5e47f16ecd0efe8e4515b433390.PNG

On 8/25/2018 at 3:59 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
  • More 2.49's (16) than 2.29's (11)

Well, yes, 16 is indeed more than 11, but I think a statistician would tell you those numbers are the same, being just a bit over a standard deviation apart. You'll need bigger numbers before you can say that for sure. </nerd>

4 hours ago, AJD said:

Well, yes, 16 is indeed more than 11, but I think a statistician would tell you those numbers are the same, being just a bit over a standard deviation apart. You'll need bigger numbers before you can say that for sure. </nerd>

I'll give you bigger numbers you.... >:(

Spoiler

lol (thumbsu

On 8/25/2018 at 5:57 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes please FD, 17 was a typo :)

Version 2.0 - just Thor 19 to complete the regular newsstand copies now

2.0.thumb.PNG.208dd5e47f16ecd0efe8e4515b433390.PNG

I still haven't found a Thor #19 regular newsstand edition on ebay anywhere. It seems to be rarer that it's (theoretically) infinitely rarer $2.49 version! (:

I've spent a little time recently looking again for these.

I don't think we're ever going to find a $2.29 / $2.49 priced newsstand for a title that's not on my summary list. I think this was a six title experiment, and a fairly haphazard one at that given the double sized issues prevalent slap bang in the middle of the dates. The likelihood that we would find 27 copies across only 6 titles, and none across all the others - including well collected titles like Wolverine - seems too unlikely to me. Even with their comparatively small numbers, these are recent books and someone at some point would put one up sooner or later. It's not like they are from 1960. 

So unless one or more of our American researchers is holding out on me, six titles is where I think this will stay. It's a shame I don't live in the US, or have the same ebay.com results that US based searches bring up. I'd find em, if they were out there...*

*(Note, that's not me 'bigging myself up'. That's me admitting I have no meaningful life to speak of the time to do it :grin:)

On 9/25/2018 at 8:35 AM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

I still haven't found a Thor #19 regular newsstand edition on ebay anywhere. It seems to be rarer that it's (theoretically) infinitely rarer $2.49 version! (:

I don't think we're ever going to find a $2.29 / $2.49 priced newsstand for a title that's not on my summary list. I think this was a six title experiment, and a fairly haphazard one at that given the double sized issues prevalent slap bang in the middle of the dates. The likelihood that we would find 27 copies across only 6 titles, and none across all the others - including well collected titles like Wolverine - seems too unlikely to me. Even with their comparatively small numbers, these are recent books and someone at some point would put one up sooner or later. It's not like they are from 1960. 

So unless one or more of our American researchers is holding out on me, six titles is where I think this will stay. It's a shame I don't live in the US, or have the same ebay.com results that US based searches bring up. I'd find em, if they were out there...*

*(Note, that's not me 'bigging myself up'. That's me admitting I have no meaningful life to speak of the time to do it :grin:)

The Thor 19 newsstand edition is weird - I'm looking constantly and I can't find one. The guy I go to locally who has long boxes of newsies can't find one either. Its not listed on Mile High, for what that's worth.

10 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:
On 9/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

The Thor 19 newsstand edition is weird - I'm looking constantly and I can't find one. The guy I go to locally who has long boxes of newsies can't find one either. Its not listed on Mile High, for what that's worth.

It is odd isn't it. The purpose of this thread is to research and summarise the relatively scarce newsstand price variants - whilst doing so, we seem to have identified that the standard newsstand version is itself more scarce than it's variant counterpart - if not non-existent. 

It's funny, you could go out now and buy multiple AF15's if you had the money. Nothing scarce about those. But you cant find one single newsstand copy of Thor #19 to buy. It has no intrinsic value at all. But if you were a Thor completist, or wanted one to sit alongside the newsstand variants, how much would you pay for a copy?  Bonkers.

27 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

So quick update - someone else besides me is looking for these stupid things, because my big hammer bids are getting topped. Here's the latest one.

The one before that.

No big deal, but just interesting.

No new ones though I see FD. 

Maybe the new bidder was inspired by this thread. Or they could be an ASM completist. There's a few of those about. Either way the prices do indicate they were aware of the variance.

What I should have done was keep quiet about it and try to build a full set for myself I suppose. That's what you get for sharing in life....

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Who knows. I have gotten a couple through BINs. It appears, just anecdotally, that the $2.29 ones are much harder to find.

That's odd, as I recall when I put my first ASM set together many years ago that the $2.49's were more stubborn. That was just ASM though, and I paid little attention to other titles, as an ASM completist would. But look,  still no Thor #19 newsstand regular edition. That's the real Lucan in the pack.

So this weekend we acquired a 2200 book collection that is entirely newsstand editions, all from 1996 to 2004.

It's an original owner collection that was donated to a nearby charity. They couldn't do anything directly with the comics, so they brought them to us and we are swapping them out for stuff they can actually use (both merchandise and cash).

I've never seen a collection like this before. I've seen collections of 50-100 books that were all newsstands, but nothing larger than that. The idea of someone amassing 2000+ comics without ever once patronizing a comic shop boggles my mind.

We haven't completed the triage on the collection yet. But I didn't find a Thor 19 on my initial pass. I did, however, find a Thor 18 with $2.29 cover price (which I believe is new based on your chart). And strangely the Thor 20 is $1.99. I am quite confident this is an original owner collection. Not a single book was bagged and boarded, they were just accumulated. And it's clearly never been picked through (things like 1997 Deadpool #1 and Amazing Spider-Man #36 were both present). When I get to the other titles, I can see if there is a pattern on which months were variants or not.

One thing I noticed, which may have been brought up in the 300+ previous replies, is that the price variant has a different publisher code. UPC codes on comics are a standard 6 digits denoting publisher, then 5 denoting title, then a 12th digit that is a check digit to verify an accurate bar code. The Thor books are all title "03506", but the regular price version is publisher 074808 (both before and after the variant) while the price variant is publisher 071658. It also doesn't have a Canadian price option.

I'll try to eventually read all 11 pages of this thread. But if there are specific items you'd like me to look for, just let me know. The collection is roughly 50% Marvel, 45% DC, and a smattering of Image (Spawn 32-55 etc). The weirdest thing (to me) that I found so far was Amazing 400 deluxe newsstand. Hadn't seen one of those before. But there are a lot of books to go through.

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

IMG_3004.thumb.JPG.ec96ceb062d4785631ff53c3fc990af4.JPG

There's the 18, and a 20 for reference of the publisher code change.

Hi Lighthouse,  I don't think we've interacted before so hello and thanks for posting this new info. The Thor #18 $2.29 is indeed a new one and the first for some time. Brilliant. 

Here's the list I put together of the 27 copies that were previously known to exist - green means we have it,  yellow that it shouldn't exist and white means it's missing. If you could look for any of the missing issues and then to see if you have any titles that aren't on the list then that would be great:

2.0.PNG.c9b44e188d047e52be3433419de21be6.thumb.PNG.677d7aeac545414d1b5783645d69d829.PNG

I'm off to work now, and will respond more fully when I get back :)

5 hours ago, lighthouse said:

One thing I noticed, which may have been brought up in the 300+ previous replies, is that the price variant has a different publisher code. UPC codes on comics are a standard 6 digits denoting publisher, then 5 denoting title, then a 12th digit that is a check digit to verify an accurate bar code. The Thor books are all title "03506", but the regular price version is publisher 074808 (both before and after the variant) while the price variant is publisher 071658. It also doesn't have a Canadian price option.

Yes, that's been covered in the thread.

I'll try to eventually read all 11 pages of this thread.

(thumbsu

The weirdest thing (to me) that I found so far was Amazing 400 deluxe newsstand. Hadn't seen one of those before.

All ASM 400 Newsstands are Deluxe. The same is true for most gimmick cover issues of the Spider-Man titles around that time.