• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2019 at 3:11 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

All quiet on the price variant front. No new copies presented, no Thor #19 regular $1.99 newsstand copy....

Can you come by and check out my 200 short boxes to see if I have any of these??? :bigsmile:

22 minutes ago, divad said:

Can you come by and check out my 200 short boxes to see if I have any of these??? :bigsmile:

Only if I can come without a bag, and leave unchallenged with a bag :)

On 9/12/2019 at 3:48 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

A small premium paid for this $2.49 priced copy, presumably by a bidder in the know:

2_49.thumb.PNG.e546959dae244f6b04042d03c338c24b.PNG

Not exactly 35cv prices, but they seem to be catching on a bit. Three separate bidders for a book that barely makes $3 as a direct edition. 

I was one of those bidders - I didn't win. I crawl eBay every day for them. The other two also have high feedback numbers, so people know about these things.

A post by board member @David Buck in my Charlton Canadian Price Variant thread got me thinking as to whether the order that books hit the newsstands could have any bearing on why some of our October 1999 Marvel books have $2.29/$2.49 price variants and others don't.

I've speculated already in this thread that I feel that no one title will end up having more than six price variants (3 x $2.29 and 3 x $2.49).

Here is the current position:

2.3.thumb.PNG.1bed238d16fc0d0ab5de107568b91142.PNG

So could the order of production / hitting the newsstands be the reason that ASM, Cable and X-Men have October cover month variant price issues and the other three titles don't?

Let's say that someone at Marvel HQ decided one day to initiate the price variant experiment and picked their 6 titles. If they gave an instruction to the printers to produce X quantities of each variant price they would have had to have specified a starting point. If the starting point was the actual printed cover month, then you would expect all six titles to have October $2.29 / $2.49 variant issues. But if they gave them a date which related to their sequential printing schedule, then you could see how three got done and three didn't (this seems to explain the absence of 4 Charlton Canadian Price Variants over in my other thread).

So I checked Mikes Comic Newsstand to see if, for example, ASM, Cable and the X-Men were scheduled to hit the newsstands on or after a given date, and the other three titles perhaps before it. That would explain the absence if, for example, Marvels instruction was "six variant issues from printing date August 11th, 1999".

Alas, it doesn't pan out.

Here are the 'On Sale Dates' from Mike's site for our six October cover dated issues:

• Week of 4th August:
    • Cable #72 (has one confirmed variant, $2.29)
    • FF #22
    • Thor #16
  • Week of 11th of August:
    • ASM #10 (has both confirmed variants, $2.29 / $2.49)
  • Week of 18th of August:
    • Hulk #7
    • X-Men #93 (has both confirmed variants, $2.29 / $2.49)

So, it doesn't look like 'on sale dates' have anything to do with it does it. Of course, it may not follow that 'on sale dates' have any bearing on actual printing dates? Logic would lead you to believe so though wouldn't it. 

Anyway, it was something to post!

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Isn't $27 an unusually low price for that issue (at least in CGC 9.8)?

Yeah. To be honest, I was just bumping to see if someone might read and comment on my 3rd Nov post. Seems that money is all that anyone is interested in lately. 

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yeah. To be honest, I was just bumping to see if someone might read and comment on my 3rd Nov post. Seems that money is all that anyone is interested in lately. 

I'm interested in money if you've got some :wishluck:

Actually, there was a large ASM Vol. 2 lot for sale within the last week that was a solid run of newsstands. I could pick out at least two price variants from the group shot, but my short-term memory failed me and I realized the auction was ending about 30 minutes after it ended. Went for $60 total, Hopefully someone that knows what they got won it.

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'm interested in money if you've got some :wishluck:

Actually, there was a large ASM Vol. 2 lot for sale within the last week that was a solid run of newsstands. I could pick out at least two price variants from the group shot, but my short-term memory failed me and I realized the auction was ending about 30 minutes after it ended. Went for $60 total, Hopefully someone that knows what they got won it.

I can lend you 9d :bigsmile:

Annoying when you forget isn't it. I had two tabs open recently, one with an ebay lot I was after with 3 minutes to go, the other a tab here. Someone here asked a question, I answered it, and missed the ebay lot by about 3 seconds. No good deed goes unpunished eh :tonofbricks:

image.thumb.png.9a9b4db1eca64fe9bb0091382eb3c672.png

This was the $2.49 variant I won about a month back.  It's a 9.2-9.4, so I'm pretty happy.

As I've noted before, I only track the X-Mens and this Hulk.  Slim pickings over the last six months, as practically NO X-Mens have hit the market.  In fact, I'm glad I found my #93s when I did, as I haven't seen any price variants of that issue for about 2 years.

27 minutes ago, masterlogan2000 said:

image.thumb.png.9a9b4db1eca64fe9bb0091382eb3c672.png

This was the $2.49 variant I won about a month back.  It's a 9.2-9.4, so I'm pretty happy.

As I've noted before, I only track the X-Mens and this Hulk.  Slim pickings over the last six months, as practically NO X-Mens have hit the market.  In fact, I'm glad I found my #93s when I did, as I haven't seen any price variants of that issue for about 2 years.

I track every day. Almost no variants in any of the titles have hit the market in a while.

5 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I track every day. Almost no variants in any of the titles have hit the market in a while.

Did you hear any more from Lighthouse in the end?

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yeah, I track the X-Men's and Hulk 8 everyday.  I have multiples of many, but the only one I'm missing is the #96 $2.49 variant.  I've only ever seen one listed on eBay, and YOU swooped in and grabbed it before I even thought to message the seller.  :pullhair:

:foryou:

With that said, I have multiple copies of a couple of these, so I'm always open to a trade if anyone has that X-Men book and is willing to part with it.