• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Romance" For Reading

12 posts in this topic

There's a couple of active threads about rare romance comics and Baker books but I couldn't find a general Romance topic. I tried the search but it only came up with those topics. If I missed one please point me in that direction and I will delete this.

Can anyone give me some recommendations on some romance runs that won't break the bank. I'm not looking for slabbed books but books I can actually read. I've ran across some banged up readers at the local flea market and really enjoyed them and I would like to read more.

There's so many titles and I really don't know the best place to begin.

Thanks for any and all help

If you're fishing for comics to read, I don't think the romance pond is all that well stocked...

This might give you some ideas https://www.amazon.com/Love-Racks-History-American-Romance/dp/0786435194/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482257551&sr=8-3&keywords=michelle+nolan

I tend to like the Orbit line with Love Diary and Love Journal.

But, as AS pointed out, Love of the Racks is the best (and only) place to get a roadmap to the Romance genre. Michelle Nolan is not shy about disparaging those publishers whose output was less than stellar in her write-ups in the book.

Welcome to the genre, friend! Winning hearts and minds, one romance convert at a time.

Without knowing your tastes, it's hard to recommend specifically. Listed below are the board's romance threads. The rarest romance thread is more of an all purpose thread on GA romance, and there are separate threads on SA and BA romance. There's also the popular Baker romance thread, and other short-lived threads that have popped up over the years

You can take a leisurely digital stroll of about 70% of the romance market on comicbookplus.com. DC, EC, and Marvel/Timely/Atlas are not available as public domain, so input from other collectors is useful here.

My experience is that a majority of all printed romance is available through Ebay. Condition/price are always a factor, but they are out there. Wading through the tens of thousands of listings can be the major problem.

Good luck on your search!

What are the rarest romance comics? 2/14

Silver Romance Collectors Thread 6/15

Infinite Bronze Romance Thread 3/05

Baker Romance 6/08

Advice on Collecting Romance Comic Books 4/13

post your favorite romance covers 8/13

Getting into Romance books 4/10

Romance Revealed Golden Age Romance Thread 8/08

Timely & Atlas romance 2/08

QUALITY Romance Comics 10/05

Interracial romance stories:

My Love Life #7 (August 1949, Fox Comics):

dwUYgNr.jpg

Darling Romance #3 (January 1950, Archie Comics):

kD5kAv1.jpg

Adventures in Romance #2 (February 1950, St. John):

7.jpg

Darling Love #6 (October 1950, Archie Comics):

7.jpg

Cowgirl Romances #4 (January 1951, Fiction House):

32.jpg

All True Romance #11 (May 1953, Comic Media):

6.jpg

Romantic Adventures #35 (July 1953, American Comics Group):

F4JuIS8.jpg

Love Diary #39 (January 1954, Orbit-Wanted):

32.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

Romance stories with themes like suicide, abuse, communism, concentration camps, drugs, drunkenness, espionage, mental illness, murder, prostitution, race, and rape tend to stand out more in the era. There was also a story from ACG’s Lovelorn #57 (March, 1955) which dealt with cancer as well:

11.jpg

I recently obtain a nice reading copy of wartime romance # 5 and as I was was reading one of the stories of how the girl was conning these soldiers in marrying them within a few days of meeting her and as they went off for deployment she would get there G.I monthly checks. I thought to myself was man!! this is some spicy drama and couldn't put the story down lol