• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thread we've all been waiting for - post your Boris and Julie pieces
1 1

133 posts in this topic

Is there a Boris appreciation thread somewhere?  I couldn't find one using the search engine, so, this seemed to be the most logical place for it.  

Saw this one on CAF today (not mine obviously).  There is so much wrong with this painting that I don't even know where to begin: :sick: :sick: :sick: 

1753643467_BorisKPandWolvie.jpeg.c375bb2e96f490b41a2379704ac2306a.jpeg

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Is there a Boris appreciation thread somewhere?  I couldn't find one using the search engine, so, this seemed to be the most logical place for it.  

Saw this one on CAF today (not mine obviously).  There is so much wrong with this painting that I don't even know where to begin: :sick: :sick: :sick: 

Yeah, that's terrible. To whoever owns it: I can help you get rid of it...

I think you know exactly where to begin. The problem is figuring out how long it will take before you get to stop. 

Boris art requires commitment, Gene.

Edited by ESeffinga

"Is there a Boris appreciation thread I can shyt on?" lol

I don't know how many times it can be said, but their stuff is hit and miss.   Some very nice paintings, and some things that look a little ridiculous.    AS DOES MOST COMIC ART when you take off the pen and ink blinders!

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

So much skill; so little talent.

Boris Vallejo: born in Lima, Peru. At age 14, he started studying formal art at Escucla Nacionl de bellas Artes on a full scholarship after winning his first national art competition. 1959: Boris graduated from art school with a gold medal for Best Student of the Year. 1963: Italian Embassy awarded  him a scholarship to further his art studies in Florence, Italy. Boris declined in order to immigrate to CT, USA in 1964. 1978: Boris won Best Fantasy Artist of the Year at San Diego Fantasy and Sci-fi Convention. He was also named Best Artist of the Year in 1984 and 1986 by Toutain Publishing in Barcelona, Spain.

Julie Bell was a national USA competitive body builder. Married to Boris, she was the first female artist to portray Conan, the Barbarian, on cover and Comic Images trading card art. Please let me know when 1 of their 2 sons, Tony and David Vallejo, may become a fantasy painter.

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Their son David already is. And I like his work a lot more than his parents’ work.

He also contributes regularly to the Muddy Colors blog.

http://www.dvpalumbo.com

Pretty cool that he did the Kier piece for Sideshow. I wouldn't mind finding a piece of OA from their Court line. I got the sense, from CAF I think, that a few people are buying this stuff up.

Dave has done a number of comic covers, as well as a lot of book covers, FWIW.

For my part, I almost (almost) bought a piece from him back in 2012, at the inaugural Spectrum Fantastic Art Love show. I saw the piece, had no idea who he was. Only later found out his family connection. 

And the only reason I didn’t buy it was because I had my eye on something else (that never panned out), doh!

Edited by ESeffinga