• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thread we've all been waiting for - post your Boris and Julie pieces
1 1

133 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, sfilosa said:

I have several Boris pieces, this one at his peak time (in my opinion). A hero, a villain, a monster and a damsel in distress. What more can you ask for!

I mentioned in another forum, how a lot of pieces from a certain artist work hit the market at one time (like a collector dumps 20-30 piece all at once). Between 2005-2007, it seemed like Heritage had 3-4 pieces of his every auction (and some in the illustration auctions). Now, if they have two or three pieces a year, that good (and that doesn't mean they are any good).

Yeah, I remember talking to someone at Heritage back then and they said they had bought out a huge Boris collection (don't remember if it was from Boris himself or a rabid collector) that would keep their auctions stocked for years. 

I have fond memories of Boris' paperback covers from when I was a kid, and have had 4-5 Boris pieces go through my collection over the years. The nostalgia is still there, but, the desire to own any examples has disappeared.  

I'm generally a fan of most of his work through 1982.  I only like a handful of his pieces from 1983-onward, though. 

This one is pure nostalgia for me, but has anyone ever seen the original for this out in the wild?  It's from the Dec. '83 MAD (first copy of MAD magazine I ever bought)

mad custs the baloney.jpg

Edited by ShallowDan
correcting typo

51 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, I remember talking to someone at Heritage back then and they said they had bought out a huge Boris collection (don't remember if it was from Boris himself or a rabid collector) that would keep their auctions stocked for years. 

I have fond memories of Boris' paperback covers from when I was a kid, and have had 4-5 Boris pieces go through my collection over the years. The nostalgia is still there, but, the desire to own any examples has disappeared.  

I'm generally a fan of most of his work through 1982.  I only like a handful of his pieces from 1983-onward, though. 

1983 is your cutoff?  Shocking ;)

I agree that 85-95 weren’t his best years.    The work gets stiff and takes itself too seriously .   IMO the stuff after that gets better again, but nothing in those later dates is comic related in any way so I understand you guys’ POV

Edited by Bronty

25 minutes ago, Bronty said:

1983 is your cutoff?  Shocking ;)

1983 is my cut-off for Boris purely because his style started to change a lot from then on vs. what he did in 1982 and previously. :sumo: 

1983 and 1984 are two of my all-time favorite years for comics and pop culture.  But, I find that Boris' work from that era is very hit or miss.  And, then, from 1985-onward, it is consistently more miss than hit for my tastes. :sorry: 

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

1983 and 1984 are two of my all-time favorite years for comics and pop culture.   

I know that’s what I was getting at ;)

19 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

1983 is my cut-off for Boris purely because his style started to change a lot from then on vs. what he did in 1982 and previously. :sumo: 

1983 and 1984 are two of my all-time favorite years for comics and pop culture.  But, I find that Boris' work from that era is very hit or miss.  And, then, from 1985-onward, it is consistently more miss than hit for my tastes. :sorry: 

I've always felt that his work after 1983 was almost more fetishized in terms of catching the perfect gleam of rounded, overly muscled figures.  I hate to use the term "overworked" but that's pretty close to my feelings.  The work before was looser and focused more on content, color and composition.  2c

^ sure .  People joke about the baby oil on the figures’ muscles. Probably more than a couple jokes like that on this thread although I haven’t reread to check 

1 hour ago, sfilosa said:

For me it is the teased hair on the women. Very popular style in the 80's but looks silly on women who are supposed to have lived a thousand (or more) years ago.

BV.thumb.jpg.4fa9058bf35053b4309ede70b7442381.jpg

You're absolutely right.  The rightmost blond has a fairly timeless look, but then the other two girls in the foreground both look as if they have a full can of hairspray applied.  

It reminds me of my high school reunion where they were showing old pictures of classmates.  As I jokingly told a friend I hadn't seen in years, everyone stopped talking about that hole in the ozone layer once all the girls stopped teasing their hair up like that.

Edited by ShallowDan

13 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

girls in the foreground both look as if they have a full can of hairspray applied.  

I can ignore the hairdo anachronisms.  I just assumed their toned bodies were glistening because they had just finished their stone-age Jane Fonda workouts.

Edited by Will_K

54 minutes ago, sfilosa said:

For me it is the teased hair on the women. Very popular style in the 80's but looks silly on women who are supposed to have lived a thousand (or more) years ago.

Implants were quite uncommon in the Savage World too. Unless it was the Ancient Aliens practicing?

I dunno, I can find ten things I like about that piece.   (shrug)

Good call on the teased hair though.    It was in style back then but it does look silly now.    There's really nothing else about the piece that bothers me or looks off.   Its really pretty nice if I just imagine them with different hairdos.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Point of order?  Is that not a lion rather than a lioness?

Heh, you tell me, evidently only one expert among us ;)

Edited by vodou
add: visual aid

18 minutes ago, vodou said:

Heh, you tell me, evidently only one expert among us ;)

Classic movie.    You must not have been too interested in animals growing up.    Big mane like that = male lion.    No mane = lioness.

cb013115a6c4b21fcb770ed1fb6a87b1--lion-l

Edited by Bronty