• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM1 value ?

13 posts in this topic

So..I submitted some lame photos in "please grade my" of a raw ASM1 my buddy was offered yesterday for 5k.

After everyone's feedback I informed my friend it probably wasn't worth 5k unless he had CGC look it over first. He informed the seller of his decision and the seller came back with 2500.00 (accepting that it may have been "worked on" ).

My buddy wants to know if 2500 is a "better than fair " price . I said I'd ask you guys .

My question: if it comes back purple 3.5/4.0 is 2500 good? I know blue would be a steal...but I have no idea regarding accurate sales history and FMV. At what grade (restored) does 2500 not have much value?

Thanks

( a little history: a guy has a storage container consisting of 1000's of comics and magic cards...he passed away...his brother (who also collects) now has the books.

My buddy has bought a handful of books raw already and has a history with this guy, but this is the first mega key . It sounds lame but if my buddy said this is the case..then it is. So, the seller knows his books but has no overhead...which may explain the price drop without hassle)

So aside from the comments i know I'm going to get regarding the truth of the scenario...can I possibly get a real answer or two...?...anyone? :)

unless you're desperate, its probably better for any and all parties to get it CGC'd first.

other than that, try looking up the sales info on GPA and do your best.

Rosco, please understand you are asking very difficult questions, analogous to asking how much for a new car, with only vague information offered. 'If' the book is trimmed, that's bad, and I would not recommend buying it, period. Just some tape, then maybe.

There could be pages missing, which would garner an Incomplete from CGC, again pretty bad. There could be spine splits, rusty staples (the one pic looked liked there was some slight rust), color touch, etc. etc. etc. My advice is the same, without CGC seeing it first, and understanding the condition of the book, I would not touch it. Sorry.

see !!! this is why I come here. I know I have no clue. What you just said above Bomber, i dont even think of.

To me ...its blue label and worth X or purple and worth Y . The desperation comes from my not knowing how to steer my buddy in the right direction and not wanting him to turn down great deal with more books to come.

So...I think you guys made it clear....be safe and let CGC grade it or don't touch it.

Appreciate it and I understand your frustration with me :) it's like trying to teach your kids how to manage their first relationship. You know all the variables , but they just see the immediate value and react. :)

alrighty...moving on to more important things ..enjoy your day

If the guy is willing to drop his asking price instantly by 50% then I'd be a little weary that something is up.

I don't know if it would make me tired, but I'd surely be leery.

lol, yeah exactly.

If a deal seems suddenly too good to be true, it probably IS.

Plus, once you get into this kind of money for a comic book... you're talking about what some people pay for a used car. Would you buy a used car without having it checked out first? (Please say "No". Please.)

Your answer should be the same with a comic, especially when, unlike cars, there is a single authority you can easily go to and get an industry-wide approved evaluation upon which both seller and buyer can rely for the transaction.

lol...good points.

Changing the subject now (since i'm just beating a dead ex-wife...oops..dead horse)....

I just took my 9 yr old to stop and shop and while waiting in line..struck up a conversation with this elderly woman in front of me. After bashing technology for a while, I said I miss the days of sitting around reading comics instead of spending a mortgage on phones and internet.

Her eyes light up and she says her late husband's claim to fame was his involvement in whiz comics and cpt. marvel jr back in the 40's . She went on for about 10 mins saying he gave interviews about it later in life and she was sending me the articles (she asked for my email - yes, I know she said she hates tech). She went on to say his best friend was Bill Ward. His name was Nate Chaplin I think.

I've looked up both guys and found Ward, but not Chaplin...she said he had a stack of 1st issues right off the press and when he went to war (WW2 that is)..his brother traded them all. She was so excited to tell me this story. I thought it was really cool..even though I can't find him. She knew her basics though, because she said he worked on Captain America too and Bill did exotic covers.

Just thought it was neat and figured I'd share..even if she was misinformed. but I guess Ill see when she sends article.

see !!! this is why I come here. I know I have no clue. What you just said above Bomber, i dont even think of.

To me ...its blue label and worth X or purple and worth Y . The desperation comes from my not knowing how to steer my buddy in the right direction and not wanting him to turn down great deal with more books to come.

So...I think you guys made it clear....be safe and let CGC grade it or don't touch it.

Appreciate it and I understand your frustration with me :) it's like trying to teach your kids how to manage their first relationship. You know all the variables , but they just see the immediate value and react. :)

alrighty...moving on to more important things ..enjoy your day

If you're "buddy" does not know his stuff. It would be very foolish to swim in the deep end with out a life vest (CGC)...

I know Buzz...your boys made it clear :) Thank you though..he said he's buying it anyway and rolling the dice..even after I took pics of everyones advice and text it to him. At least he had the tools to make a sound decision

and Robot: "my buddy" knows less than me so he asks me for advice...which is like asking my dog about my tax return...but I already bought my ASM1 CGC from adam this month so "my buddy" doesnt stand for "me pretending its not me" . Ive already said I don't know squat about grading or GPA.. :) just saying ....