• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Again, no confusion here.  It was printed on white paper stock.

The page quality on the Fantucchio books overall confirms this.  While there are a bunch of white pagers, there are also a fair number that graded off-white to white both SA and BA.  As exemplified by the early sixties  Batman comics posted above, some of the oldest books in the collection had paper that graded below ow/w.

The point was a very simple one. That page color is not totally dependent upon the environmental elements of the storage location. Page color can differ right off the press, dependent upon the quality and color of the paper fed through when printed.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Interior paper. The manufacturing process before the paper even arrived at the printer. We were talking about the page color, or so I thought. Now I'm confused too. I feel like I woke up in a Mandela effect alternate time line where "quite possibly", "maybe", "could be", and other, what once were considered indefinite terms; words and adages referring to uncertainty now mean "positively".

If that's the case, and "could be" is the new "absolutely without question" in this timeline, than I stand corrected. Everybody else is right about everything and I'm 100% wrong about everything. Maybe (which now means "absolutely without a doubt").  :juggle:

All Marvels were printed with white (aka bleached newsprint) paper stock.

As were DCs.

There were some manufacturers who did not bleach their paper in order to save money. Marvel (to my knowledge) was not one of them.

Hence my confusion.

Now some Marvels did have better quality newsprint than others in the early 60's based on my experience (so that some issues stayed white better than others) but by the mid 60's that seems to have been standardized.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

The point was a very simple one. That page color is not totally dependent upon the environmental elements of the storage location. Page color can differ right off the press, dependent upon the quality and color of the paper fed through when printed.

True. I am not aware of any significant variation with Marvel.

Are you?

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

All Marvels were printed with white (aka bleached newsprint) paper stock.

As were DCs.

There were some manufacturers who did not bleach their paper in order to save money. Marvel (to my knowledge) was not one of them.

Hence my confusion.

Now some Marvels did have better quality newsprint than others in the early 60's based on my experience (so that some issues stayed white better than others) but by the mid 60's that seems to have been standardized.

I never said the reams weren't all bleached. The bleaching process was done in the production of all the paper but.... The reams didn't all wind up the same hue of white. Do you really think the tolerances were that exacting? Like they were producing intricate medical devices instead of disposable periodicals?   Basically 10 and 12 cent toys?

I never said the reams weren't all bleached. The bleaching process was done in the production of all the paper but.... The reams didn't all wind up the same hue of white. Do you really think the tolerances were that exacting? Like they were producing intricate medical devices instead of disposable periodicals?   Basically 10 and 12 cent toys?

I definitely don't think they were treated with tight tolerances like an exact science, but then I also don't think there was much variance (just based on my experience).

I could be wrong, of course.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

True. I am not aware of any significant variation with Marvel.

Are you?

Well, unless we were standing there, we would be unable to discuss which book had what color pages as we examined them coming off the press, right? Do you know of anyone who did that? I didn't do that.. I'm going by what people who were involved in the manufacturing of Silver age comics had to say about the manufacturing process.

But this is fast becoming more about me being wrong and everyone else being right, which is not "maybe", "could be", or "possibly", but definitely off-topic. So for the thread to remain on the rails, I'll get off the train at this stop.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Well, unless we were standing there, we would be unable to discuss which book had what color pages as we examined them coming off the press, right? Do you know of anyone who did that? I didn't do that.. I'm going by what people who were involved in the manufacturing of Silver age comics had to say about the manufacturing process.

I'm just going by my own years of experience of looking at raw books.

It's not a discussion about right or wrong. I'm trying to learn and if I'm wrong I have no problem with it. (shrug)

I didn't do that.. I'm going by what people who were involved in the manufacturing of Silver age comics had to say about the manufacturing process.

Is thread about it somewhere on here? I'd like to read about it.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

But this is fast becoming more about me being wrong and everyone else being right, which is not "maybe", "could be", or "possibly", but definitely off-topic. So for the thread to remain on the rails, I'll get off the train at this stop.

Discussions segue all the time. This is a great discussion.

6 hours ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

the FF1 from this collexn is amazing- so white and fresh looking

it sold @ comiclink auction circa 2016 I think for "only" 130K I think- a total bargain @ todays ff1 prices

I remember that book coming to auction. I would've loved to won it, but way too much dough for me. I found a picture of it though:

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, namisgr said:

Again, no confusion here.  It was printed on white paper stock.

The page quality on the Fantucchio books overall confirms this.  While there are a bunch of white pagers, there are also a fair number that graded off-white to white both SA and BA.  As exemplified by the early sixties  Batman comics posted above, some of the oldest books in the collection had paper that graded below ow/w.

It's a sweet pedigree collection, but in terms of overall structure, quality of SA major keys, and paper preservation probably doesn't rank as one of the best.

+1. Definitely nice but maybe people are forgetting some of the other collections that have been offered up I’ve the years 

5 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

I only have one.  Bottom right corner is the only thing keeping this from being a 9.4/9.6 as far as I can tell.

00026032392496111570815002.jpg

Great book. If that corner is the only defect it should be 9.4 IMO.

Hey all, I've been garbage at tracking all of these books (and ComicLink is stingy with archived data) and I need to make up for that, so I can add this pedigree to the Existence and Grades of Silver Age Key Books From the Major Pedigree Collections list. The Fantucchio keys are not universally high grade, but Fantucchio has what I think is one of the the deepest collections of keys out of any of the major Silver Age pedigrees. To that end, does anyone know anything more that they can add to this list? (also, as always, if you've got any additions to the existing list, let me know!)

These are the books I know about:

Amazing Spider-Man #1 CGC 9.0 Fantucchio
Avengers 1 CGC 8.0
BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28, CGC 4.5 VG+,
BRAVE AND THE BOLD #34 , CGC 3.0 GVG JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE 1961
Daredevil #1 CGC 9.0
FANTASTIC FOUR #1, CGC 9.0 VFNM
Incredible Hulk 1 CGC 6.0
Justice League of America #1 CGC 7.5 Fantucchio
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83, CGC 7.5 VF-, JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #80 , CGC 4.5 VG+, WHITE Pages JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #1 (first Nick Fury and Dum Dum Dugan) CGC 3.0 Fantucchio pedigree
SHOWCASE #22 , CGC 4.0 VG JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
SHOWCASE #34 , CGC 5.0 VGF JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
STRANGE TALES #101 , CGC 3.5 VG-, WHITE Pages JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
STRANGE TALES #110, CGC 8.0 VF, JOHN G. FANTUCCHIO PEDIGREE
X-Men #1 CGC 5.0

These are the books I don't know about.

I have two questions- was there a Fantucchio copy of the following books and if there was what grade did it get? I expect that there were copies of Avengers 4, Fantastic Four 2 and 5 and I know there was a Daredevil 7, I just don't know the grade. 

Amazing Fantasy 15?
Avengers #4?
Daredevil 7 grade?
Fantastic Four #2?
Fantastic Four #5?

Flash #105?
Flash #123?

Showcase #4?         
Showcase #8?                     
Showcase #9?                                     
Showcase #13?

Tales of Suspense #39