• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Runner UP

65 posts in this topic

My Runner Up would be this beautiful upgrade to Lady Luck #89 - of which there is no known Edgar Church copy in existence (probably because there are two Church #88's)

[/img]

:luhv:

Great book!

I don't see any issues of Lady Luck on the Church list. Did Chuck sell them before compiling the catalog? hm

I'm not sure why they don't appear on the original Church list. Was every comic in Edgar's collection listed? Someone once told me that Chuck wouldn't have bothered to list the comics that were of little/no interest at the time. (shrug)

Chuck's original 1977 list had roughly 14,000 books..... it was a sales catalog released in an issue of CBG. The original collection, depending on who you speak to, had between 18,000 and 21,000 books. Those not in the list of 14,000 were either dispersed to cover the original loan, or possibly overlooked. There are many books in the CBG list that had minimal(..if any) interest at the time. These Lady Luck's are exactly the kind of books that Burrell Rowe would have pulled to the side..... he loved that esoteric stuff..... many of the Fiction House books went to him as well. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks for the info, Jimbo! (thumbs u

My Runner Up would be this beautiful upgrade to Lady Luck #89 - of which there is no known Edgar Church copy in existence (probably because there are two Church #88's)

[/img]

Great book!

I don't see any issues of Lady Luck on the Church list. Did Chuck sell them before compiling the catalog? hm

I'm not sure why they don't appear on the original Church list. Was every comic in Edgar's collection listed? Someone once told me that Chuck wouldn't have bothered to list the comics that were of little/no interest at the time. (shrug)

Chuck's original 1977 list had roughly 14,000 books..... it was a sales catalog released in an issue of CBG. The original collection, depending on who you speak to, had between 18,000 and 21,000 books. Those not in the list of 14,000 were either dispersed to cover the original loan, or possibly overlooked. There are many books in the CBG list that had minimal(..if any) interest at the time. These Lady Luck's are exactly the kind of books that Burrell Rowe would have pulled to the side..... he loved that esoteric stuff..... many of the Fiction House books went to him as well. GOD BLESS...

I think John McLaughlin scooped up some Church GGA books -- including a least few Bakers -- before Chuck published the list. Maybe he got the Lady Lucks.

How do you know there are two Church copies of LL 88? Has CGC certified two copies? hm

LadyLuck89.jpg

TERRIFIC! :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

mm

[/img]

Great book!

I think John McLaughlin scooped up some Church GGA books -- including a least few Bakers -- before Chuck published the list. Maybe he got the Lady Lucks.

How do you know there are two Church copies of LL 88? Has CGC certified two copies? hm

Yes sir! :)

I own the 9.2 (cert # 0040603020)

And there's also a 9.0 (cert # 0902086003)

I'm not sure who owns the 9.0, but these are definitely two different books. My theory is that Lady Luck #89 was released late, and Edgar accidentally got a second #88 instead - which is why there is no Church #89.

I'm told there are over 100 examples of Edgar Church duplicate comics.

LadyLuck_88a.jpg

LadyLuck_88b.jpg

Yes sir! :)

I own the 9.2 (cert # 0040603020)

And there's also a 9.0 (cert # 0902086003)

I'm not sure who owns the 9.0, but these are definitely two different books. My theory is that Lady Luck #89 was released late, and Edgar accidentally got a second #88 instead - which is why there is no Church #89.

I'm told there are over 100 examples of Edgar Church duplicate comics.

LadyLuck_88a.jpg

LadyLuck_88b.jpg

Beautiful book!