• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graders notes "none available"
2 2

39 posts in this topic

I received a shipment from CGC and I wanted to check the graders notes on a couple of the books. When I go into my CGC order status and on the CGC verification tool there are no graders notes available. Is this common?

E1tKm1F.jpg

I've had that for several books I've bought over the years (eBay, here etc)

Oh. I assumed all graded books had graders notes

It depends on several factors and there is only general guidance, not any hard and fast rules. But there are LOTS of books with no graders notes.

9.8's usually do not have graders notes. A submission of 500 modern books prescreened 9.8 had no graders notes. None.

"run" type books - books of no special importance - often have no graders notes regardless of the grade

I spoke with a grader about graders notes in general once. Interesting discussion. Graders spend a lot of time writing these notes. It adds significantly to the time to grade a book...

When CGC has high demand periods - lots of extra books coming in - there is often a bit of pressure to cut back on note taking and get more books graded. Something to think about.... I personally like the idea of fewer grading notes and faster TAT.

All of the above is only just general information though. Occasionally I'll see books come up graded where I wonder why no notes. A few weeks ago in a submission I had two Captain America 109's. Not a run book. A minor key that brings decent $$ in higher grades. One copy graded 9.2 and had grading notes. The other copy - a book I thought had a shot at 9.8 - graded 9.6 with no grading notes. So grading notes would have been both helpful and - given the 9.2 had notes - sorta expected.....I mean if you can't find anything wrong with it give it the 9.8 :grin:

But it is what it is.....

Edited by Tony S

.....I mean if you can't find anything wrong with it give it the 9.8 :grin:

I believe if they can't find anything wrong with the book, they are supposed to give it a 10.0 grade. :gossip:lol

Actually, when there are no graders' notes, then the notes are essentially "Not good enough to be higher than X." :grin:

I believe if they can't find anything wrong with the book, they are supposed to give it a 10.0 grade. :gossip:lol

Actually, when there are no graders' notes, then the notes are essentially "Not good enough to be higher than X." :grin:

That "grading note" would be one size fits all I think. Cut and paste that all day long and it fits every single grade :devil:

I know you are joking but books grading 9.9/10.0 are supposed to have exceptional qualities, not necessarily the absence of anything wrong. Perfect centering, razor sharp corners, etc.

I have asked this question multiple times and the answer (in reference to moderns) was that generally on 9.8/9.6 books the flaw is obvious and notes were not needed. I bought it at the time but my confidence in that statement is shaky at best.

In defense of the CGC graders, I can only imagine how tedious it is to grade endless stacks of modern books that have probably already passed the prescreen, documenting every little flaw, with your bosses probably telling you to grade faster. All the while the customer is complaining about the TAT, the QC, and the notes. IMO, give them a break.

I know you are joking but books grading 9.9/10.0 are supposed to have exceptional qualities, not necessarily the absence of anything wrong. Perfect centering, razor sharp corners, etc.

Yes, but if a book has imperfect centering and blunted corners, then aren't these things in and of themselves, are actually things that are indeed wrong with the book. hm

I have asked this question multiple times and the answer (in reference to moderns) was that generally on 9.8/9.6 books the flaw is obvious and notes were not needed. I bought it at the time but my confidence in that statement is shaky at best.

In defense of the CGC graders, I can only imagine how tedious it is to grade endless stacks of modern books that have probably already passed the prescreen, documenting every little flaw, with your bosses probably telling you to grade faster. All the while the customer is complaining about the TAT, the QC, and the notes. IMO, give them a break.

Completely agree and said something similar, earlier. I'd be cool with fewer notes for faster TAT. And sometimes notes cause as much confusion as they do provide clarity. Some collectors are under the opinion that the notes are like a record of every flaw, when they are not at all.

I personally only find notes really useful for something you absolutely could not see once the book is slabbed, like a tear, writing or stain in the interior of the book.

Edited by Tony S

I've had that for several books I've bought over the years (eBay, here etc)

Oh, I assumed all graded books had graders notes

It depends on several factors and there is only general guidance, not any hard and fast rules. But there are LOTS of books with no graders notes.

I spoke with a grader about graders notes in general once. Interesting discussion. Graders spend a lot of time writing these notes. It adds significantly to the time to grade a book...

They hand write them, then go back? There's a much faster way for doing that.

CGC grading is a volume based business, and grader's notes hit the bottom line. That's why over the years notes have become less informative overall and often ignored entirely. And so long as submission volumes keep the turnaround times slower than advertised, there's certainly no incentive to reverse this.

I currently have an invoice that just switched to Shipped/Safe and now lists the grades and have notes available for all but one. That one graded 9.0 and does not have notes available. I'd love to be able to see notes on it.

On 12/27/2016 at 8:16 AM, namisgr said:

CGC grading is a volume based business, and grader's notes hit the bottom line. That's why over the years notes have become less informative overall and often ignored entirely. And so long as submission volumes keep the turnaround times slower than advertised, there's certainly no incentive to reverse this.

Then why include ANY grader notes with ANY book at all?

Serious question.

What's the purpose of including grader notes on an 8.0 that says something like "top back corner crease" or "spine stresses" or any other comments of defects that are visible from the outside???? Yeah, well - I can SEE those defects so you don't have to tell me they're there.

CGC says on their website that they "often" enter comments about a book's condition - apparently they don't know what the word "often" means because MORE often than not, they DON'T include grader notes, ESPECIALLY when grader notes would be MOST helpful such as in 9.4 books or higher where it may not be clear why a book got a 9.6 vs a 9.8.

Most folks aren't really left scratching their head at why a book that they thought was a 6.0 came back a 5.5 but a lot of folks would really like to know what they missed when they subbed a book they thought was a pretty-sure 9.8 and it comes back a 9.6

If it slows down the volume and TAT to bother to put grader notes on HG books (that have the LEAST amount of defects to put into notes), then back to my original question.

On 12/22/2016 at 2:37 PM, Barth said:

I received a shipment from CGC and I wanted to check the graders notes on a couple of the books. When I go into my CGC order status and on the CGC verification tool there are no graders notes available. Is this common?

Reveal hidden contents

I get that "grading notes not available" all the time.

I only use grader's notes to help decide whether I want to purchase a book. So not having them available sometimes sours the sale.