• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC et al To Aggressively Defend Against Lawsuit Filed In Pennsylvania
11 11

584 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I don't know if CGC makes money or not,

They sure have off of me.  As to Henry Spencer’s point, I see it the other way. CGC has made comics infinitely more liquid. Before third party grading a comic would go into a collection as a VG and through some alchemy with the bag, board and time comes out a FN.  CGC has essentially turned comics into bearer bonds and made the market incredibly efficient. Who controls CGC IS irrelevant to me.

That’s exactly my point as well.   It was very different in the old days and it’s better now.   The price to pay is the increases for top quality material

On 3/13/2018 at 3:02 PM, mattn792 said:

I had completely forgotten about this topic until IGB was mentioned in another thread.  They currently have this restored Detective 33 on eBay -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-33-CGC-9-4-A-5-Highest-Graded-Origin-of-Batman-1939-DC-GA-Key-/132501580681

Graded by CGC 12/15/2017

Maybe there's a détente coming?

I had not seen this.  Disappointing.  I think that these Frankenstein Books stand a good chance of killing the restored book market.  I really think if CGC is thinking of grading these kinds of books they should eventually have some kind of better system than they have now with minor/moderate/extensive.  Change it to something where it gives an estimate of the grade before restoration or a percent of the comic that they estimate is original.

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I had not seen this.  Disappointing.  I think that these Frankenstein Books stand a good chance of killing the restored book market.  I really think if CGC is thinking of grading these kinds of books they should eventually have some kind of better system than they have now with minor/moderate/extensive.  Change it to something where it gives an estimate of the grade before restoration or a percent of the comic that they estimate is original.

Estimated percent of the book that is original is a great idea.

4 hours ago, comicdonna said:

They should have to do it in Batman pajamas, too.  

This could work:

wf172splash-thumb.jpg

8 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Depending upon the original condition of the issue I think the restoration looks very good.  I don't collect restored comics but would be happy to own this Detective #33 if the price was right.

12 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:
13 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Depending upon the original condition of the issue

but would be happy to own this Detective #33 if the price was right.

Isn't that the point, though? What is the right price, if the the original condition is not known or disclosed, the amount of restoration is not known or disclosed, and there is no estimate of the grade before restoration or percentage of restoration? 

Reviewing your earlier posts and comments concerning the lawsuit and merits of same, your present comment is confusing, to me. Nothing wrong with that. But, how would you begin to determine the right price? Yes, I know, what a willing buyer and seller agree to, and all that. However, that is not what you are conveying. Remember, a TPG is involved.

On 12/23/2016 at 9:23 PM, HENRYSPENCER said:

To be honest with you all, I'm still disgruntled at how CGC handled the whole Jason Ewert situation a decade ago. Yes Ewert purposely trimmed books, sent them to CGC and sold them as advertised according to their assigned CGC condition grades. However on the other hand CGC should be responsible down to the very last penny for restitution to each individual buyer who was defrauded at the cost they paid for the book.

In clear conscience I could never knowingly sell a book as unrestored if I or someone else did something to manipulate it that would alter the grade, but there are a lot of people out there who will call a spade a spade and sell an item based off what CGC thinks and thinks alone; no matter if it is manipulated or not.

I posted this, as a previous example of the position stated, but it disappeared. I must have pushed the wrong key or something.

Anyway, this is the post that seems to be a different take on the recent position, and is confusing, to me.

1 minute ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

To be honest with you all, I'm still disgruntled at how CGC handled the whole Jason Ewert situation a decade ago. Yes Ewert purposely trimmed books, sent them to CGC and sold them as advertised according to their assigned CGC condition grades. However on the other hand CGC should be responsible down to the very last penny for restitution to each individual buyer who was defrauded at the cost they paid for the book.

In clear conscience I could never knowingly sell a book as unrestored if I or someone else did something to manipulate it that would alter the grade, but there are a lot of people out there who will call a spade a spade and sell an item based off what CGC thinks and thinks alone; no matter if it is manipulated or not.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I posted this, as a previous example of the position stated, but it disappeared. I must have pushed the wrong key or something.

Anyway, this is the post that seems to be a different take on the recent position, and is confusing, to me.

Anyway, disclosure of all relevant information is important, I think, before a blanket position of the right price can be determined.

What are you talking about? Granted I've only read the first couple of pages of the suit and none of the discussion posts about this issue. From the few pages I've read, IGB knowingly sells restored comic books, and they are upset that CGC has opened up an in-house comic book restoration shop that competes with the couples own comic book restoration business.  They allege the books being pumped out from the CGC-CCS tandem are ultimately getting higher grades than their own (which in turn is hurting them financially).  The burden of proof, of course, is on the owners of IGB, not Comics Guarantee Corp.  Honestly, if CGC can't detect specific forms of restoration/manipulation with confidence and individuals can pass specific forms of restoration through undetected, the blame, in my opinion, falls on CGC, not the opposing party.  They are the one "Guaranteeing" a thorough evaluation and restoration check.

11 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

What are you talking about? Granted I've only read the first couple of pages of the suit and none of the discussion posts about this issue. From the few pages I've read, IGB knowingly sells restored comic books, and they are upset that CGC has opened up an in-house comic book restoration shop that competes with the couples own comic book restoration business.  They allege the books being pumped out from the CGC-CCS tandem are ultimately getting higher grades than their own (which in turn is hurting them financially).  The burden of proof, of course, is on the owners of IGB, not Comics Guarantee Corp.  Honestly, if CGC can't detect specific forms of restoration/manipulation with confidence and individuals can pass specific forms of restoration through undetected, the blame, in my opinion, falls on CGC, not the opposing party.  They are the one "Guaranteeing" a thorough evaluation and restoration check.

I think you are misunderstanding your posts, but no matter. It is not that important, really.

While I understand....or I think I do...the use of quotes with the word "Guaranteeing", there is none, that I am aware of. That is not to say there is a business ethic assumption of same, but that is entirely different. It is an opinion. Who grades the TPG Graders, or the level of expertise of same?

18 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Why is Zaid taking time to provide updates about this suit here? I find that very curious.

My opinion is that it is the right thing to do, especially as he is a legal representative for the host, and I would think it is very important to the host to keep their customers fully informed, and head off rumors without fact. It is refreshing to see a business entity do so. Not to mention that Mr. Zaid does have respect from the collecting community and participates in same.

The other entity(ies) in the legal issue could do the same, and should, but hasn't/haven't), that I am aware of.. I find that more curious. Just my opinion.

32 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Why is Zaid taking time to provide updates about this suit here? I find that very curious.

It's an open forum anyone can access. 

i'd by posting here he is not hiding anything.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:43 PM, Mark Zaid said:

To CGC Community:

I wanted to update everyone on the lawsuit that was filed on December 13, 2016, in the Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County by Matthew & Emily Meyers, as well as by their business Investment Grade Books, LLC. Named as defendants were CGC, CCS, Matt Nelson and Heritage Auctions, Inc. In all five claims were asserted against the defendants. The Meyers claim (1) Defamation and (2) False Light, while IGB alleges (3) Intentional Interference with Existing Business Relations and (4) Intentional Interference with Prospective Contractual Relations. Both the Meyers and IGB are jointly pursuing a claim of (5) Civil Conspiracy. For those not familiar with the litigation, you can download a copy of the Complaint from https://www.docdroid.net/Dx6w7uS/complaint.pdf.html.

For much of the last 18 months we have been engaging in the exchange of written discovery and depositions. We deposed both Meyers and they deposed Harshen Patel, Matt Nelson, Paul Litch and a number of Heritage employees. Most recently they named Steve Borock as one of their expert witnesses.

On June 21, 2018, all the plaintiffs filed Motions for Summary Judgment, i.e., that there are no set of material facts that remain unknown and judgment should be entered against the defendants as a matter of law. The Meyers' response is currently due at the end of this month. You can read our Memorandum of Law in support of Summary Judgment by clicking here: https://www.scribd.com/document/383525574/CGC-Summary-Judgment-Memo-of-Law6-21-18.

A ruling is not expected until at least the end of this year, and possibly next year.

Mark S. Zaid, Esq.

Lead Counsel

This post would be so much more compelling if you had a DD/Matt Murdock avatar.  Or a Campbell black widow or something.

So much resto is done to these books that they are practically no better than a reprint. My masterpiece books will suffice because there isn't much difference between them and these heavily restored comics.