• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC et al To Aggressively Defend Against Lawsuit Filed In Pennsylvania
11 11

584 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Makes sense. These arent comics that remained in great shape through all these years, they are art projects. 

Unfortunately, this phenomenon started long before IGB came into existence and probably started much closer to when the comic book mechanics went down to their darkened dungeons and started to shall we say "maximize the potential" of their books without any type of disclosure at all, and at a point in time when pressing was still ackowledged and recognized to be restoration within both the hobby and the comic book marketplace. :devil:  (tsk)  (tsk)

26 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

A question indirectly related to this issue here, does anybody know approximately when Heritage started to include CBCS books in general as part of their ongoing auctions?  ???

February 2015

Wow, that was certainly super fast!!!  :applause:

Any idea when CBCS started to grade books as I believe CGC started way back near the beginning of the year 2000?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Sadly, I think the purple market in general is down.

I guess it really depends on the type of books that you are talking about because I certainly don't find this to be the case when it comes to in demand GA books and especially with books that don't come to market very often.  (shrug)

For example, take a look at those restored Cap 3 books that sold at Heritage from 2018 through 2020 and each one of them sold for more than triple unrestored condition guide value.  Take a look at virtually all of the restored Centaurs that sold during the big Jon Berk auction a few years ago and those restored books had no problems setting record prices.  Not sure about the SA or more recent marketplace where it's relatively easy to find any of those books, but when it comes to expensive GA books, it seems that collectors don't have much problems paying up for even restored copies because they are just happy to get any affordable copy into their collection.  (thumbsu

27 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
8 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Sadly, I think the purple market in general is down.

I guess it really depends on the type of books that you are talking about because I certainly don't find this to be the case when it comes to in demand GA books and especially with books that don't come to market very often.  (shrug)

For example, take a look at those restored Cap 3 books that sold at Heritage from 2018 through 2020 and each one of them sold for more than triple unrestored condition guide value.  Take a look at virtually all of the restored Centaurs that sold during the big Jon Berk auction a few years ago and those restored books had no problems setting record prices.  Not sure about the SA or more recent marketplace where it's relatively easy to find any of those books, but when it comes to expensive GA books, it seems that collectors don't have much problems paying up for even restored copies because they are just happy to get any affordable copy into their collection.

slight and/or mod restored gold do just fine.

it gets sketchy when you venture into extensive territory, and if CBCS extensive then even more so.

I will never bid on this

RAD784912020828_171828.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

27 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Yes, and even more so on restored books with resto that can be easily removed if bidders are thinking that way.  :p

Perfect example being this HTF Negro Romance 2 which doesn't show up in the marketplace very often, and sold for $2,235 or almost 5X condition guide at a CC auction last year when my max bid was already up there at something like 3X condition guide:  :(  :luhv:

neg2.7a.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, MatterEaterLad said:
11 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

it gets sketchy when you venture into extensive territory, and if CBCS extensive then even more so.

I will never bid on this

RAD784912020828_171828.jpg

How about one of these? 

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 9.00.17 AM.png

You've got to admit that they surely all do look pretty from just their front cover scans and check out their PQ's.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

With heavily restored books, however, you really need to have them in hand to see how they feel because although they look nice, some of them just don't feel that natural in terms of the touch.  hm  

Edited by lou_fine

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You've got to admit that they surely all do look pretty from just their front cover scans and check out their PQ's.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

With heavily restored books, however, you really need to have them in hand to see how they feel because although they look nice, some of them just don't feel that natural in terms of the touch.  hm  

You’re still talking about comics, right?

23 hours ago, mattn792 said:
On 9/21/2020 at 10:39 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

Is it possible that at some point, CGC said, "Tell us how you're doing this," and IGB said, "We'd love to, but since you have an in-house company doing similar work, we'd like to keep our techniques to ourselves?" That seems reasonable. 

IGB would certainly seem to have a case if that were true.

Looks like we really need to do a search for that GA thread about a Detective Comics 38 33 Blowing Up which came out during the quiet sleepy doldrums of the post Christmas break in 2016 or was it 2017 when this whole broohaha :slapfight: started.  Rather shocking and certainly work the board members up as both parties (i.e. the Meyers and Nelson) probably had too much to drink at Christmas since you very seldom see both sides airing out their dirty laundry in such a public way.  :whatthe:   :devil:

From reading the seemingly never ending thread and long detailed responses and scans of the work in progress from the Meyers along with the responses back from Matt, it was very evident that this work had started out as a project between both parties.  Not sure what happened at the end as per usual, this sort of thing becomes a case of he said, she said.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:    Also not sure if this feeling is correct from reading that thread, but is it possible that one side got left at the altar and like the old saying goes, "Hell hath no fury like a (wo)man scorned".  hm

Edited by lou_fine

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like we really need to do a search for that GA thread about a Detective Comics 38 Blowing Up which came out during the quiet sleepy doldrums of the post Christmas break in 2016 or was it 2017 when this whole broohaha :slapfight: started.  Rather shocking and certainly work the board members up as both parties (i.e. the Meyers and Nelson) probably had too much to drink at Christmas since you very seldom see both sides airing out their dirty laundry in such a public way.  :whatthe:   :devil:

From reading the seemingly never ending thread and long detailed responses and scans of the work in progress from the Meyers along with the responses back from Matt, it was very evident that this work had started out as a project between both parties.  Not sure what happened at the end as per usual, this sort of thing becomes a case of he said, she said.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:    Also not sure if this feeling is correct from reading that thread, but is it possible that one side got left at the altar and like the old saying goes, "Hell hath no fury like a (wo)man scorned".  hm

Detective 33 not 38

3 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

So, you don't like high-grade restored books regardless of label and who did the work? To each their own. 

I used to stop at Mod Pro. Today if I have to own restored needs to be slight with no ct nor pcs added.

Edited by Gotham Kid

40 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like we really need to do a search for that GA thread about a Detective Comics 38 Blowing Up which came out during the quiet sleepy doldrums of the post Christmas break in 2016 or was it 2017 when this whole broohaha :slapfight: started.  Rather shocking and certainly work the board members up as both parties (i.e. the Meyers and Nelson) probably had too much to drink at Christmas since you very seldom see both sides airing out their dirty laundry in such a public way.  :whatthe:   :devil:

Detective 33 not 38

That's why I couldn't find it when I tried to Googled it and it looks like it was back in the waning days of December of 2015.  doh!

Isn't it simply amazing how fast time passes when you are having fun?  :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I think its safe to say there was a lot of scorning going on in this situation if it got to the point that it actually wound up in court (unlike the occasional boardie here who will threaten to sue someone for defamation or defecation or demarcation, and of course nothing ever comes of it).

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You’re still talking about comics, right?

4 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

"Comics are like boobs... they look good on a computer, but I'd rather hold one in my hand." --Stan Lee

Well, I guess I would have to say this is a perfect case of boys being boys, especially when it comes to their, shall we say, more prurient thoughts.  :insane:  (tsk)

On 4/6/2022 at 9:36 AM, Mosh It Up said:

Does anyone know if this is an IGB book?

LINK

I see shading where there shouldn't be any, so I wouldn't rule it out. Mind you, I'm no expert.