• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help cheer me up - let's talk funnybooks

29 posts in this topic

I've been lurking the forum for nearly a year now and I finally broke down and decided to make my first post, introduce myself, and see if some of my fellow pannapictagraphists (I saw that for the first time in an Overstreet guide recently and have finally been able to slip it into a sentence)could cheer me up by sharing some stories or pictures from collections far more distinguished than my own.

Besides the general desire to look at comic stuff, I kind of need it right now as therapy. I'm disabled by a very nasty chronic, neuropathic pain condition and I'm a caregiver for an elderly family member who can be...well...relentlessly negative. Because of that it's been a pretty lonely Christmas and I'm kind of at a breaking point now and ready to look like a crazy person on a forum.

I got back into collecting about a year ago after completely swearing off comics after I lost everything when my house burned down 7 years ago. Actually, the worst part of it was that I actually didn't lose my entire collection in the fire - of the two books which made it through without being either burnt or completely destroyed by the liquid the firemen spray (I would say we lost nearly as much stuff to the fire as we did to the firefighter foam that they spray) were Evil Ernie #1 (which I still have and has sadly gone down in price quite a bit) and the jewel of my collection, Cerebus #1.

I was absolutely in love with Cerberus back in the 90's (and I still do enjoy it today) and around '93 or '94 my mom and I were collecting action figures as well as comics and we made a big trade with a local store to trade the entire original wave of Spawn figures and vehicles for Cerebus #1 and a copy Sandman #8. (to be honest, I wasn't reading Sandman at the time, but I was a collector all the same) We made the trade and I was absolutely over the moon; I collected seriously for years after that but I never loved a book more than I did that copy of Cerebus.

Fast forward many years to after losing everything in the fire and even though I lost my Creepy collection, my Eerie's, my Metal Men, and basically everything else, I was still at least somewhat consoled by the fact that I had one book I could build on. After we got back on our feet a bit (let me tell you, getting back on your feet after a house fire is very relative, I can't say that we've ever fully recovered) I decided I might part with my Cerebus in order to build up a new collection which would allow me to then acquire another copy sometime down the road.

Well, I take my Cerebus to s good dealer to have it looked at and see about value and I found out it was a fake. ( A FFFFAAAAAKKKEEE) It was a good fake - I've now learned what to look for, but back then I was naive enough to believe that outside of the rarified air of elite Golden Age books there wasn't much of a worry that any of your books would be fake.

After I found out my Cerebus was a fake I completely distanced myself from comics and did everything possible to not even look at them. After quite a few years of total comic book abstinence I read there was a Wizard World Chicago (still forever Chicago ComicCon to me) coming in about a week and instead of not caring I found it was the only thing I could think about. I drove to Rosemont and ever since then I've been hooked again.

Being disabled I don't have a huge collection these days, but I'm slowly building it back. I've found myself very drawn to the magazine sized books from the 70's and 80's with Epic being my most recent obsession.

I just read that and realized I sound like a crazy person, but hopefully some of you will be willing to indulge a crazy person. I'd love to see anything Galactus related, anything Golden or Atomic Age (particularly anything from EC or any of the amazing pre-code horror, crime or sci-fi titles) or any cool comic related stuff like statues, comic rooms and anything else that will improve my disposition.

I'm going to stop myself from digging my hole any deeper, but I just want to say to all of you that this forum has been a tremendous bright spot for me during a rough advent and Christmas.

Hi and welcome to the boards as well!

Unfortunately I don't have any of the books you are looking to see but there are a lot of boardies who do. Comics are a great release for me and have always picked me up when I'm feeling low. If you love collecting the hunt is almost as rewarding as owning the book.

Try the want to buy forum below, I'm sure you will find some nice midgrade books you are looking for at a fair price.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=60&page=1

I too would be happy to send you some reading materials ..just message me your address. We're dealing with peripheral neuropathy and my wife's father so if it's similar I certainly understand your frustration.

Hopefully, a few books can help you find a little peace (as I love getting lost in mine). It'd be a pleasure and Merry Christmas.

You don't sound like a crazy person at all, just a real comics fan who's had some bad collecting experiences, and you're hardly alone there, but who's keeping going, reading and enjoying this stuff despite all that.

Welcome to the boards !!

That Tomb of Terror cover is absolutely amazing. I don't know what it is, but there is just something so clean and just *right* about the line work and art of the Golden Age, particularly from the guys who were working at EC.

The books that Catrick posted reminded me of the "big" book that is in my sights, hopefully this spring, and hopefully at C2E2. I came across Love Secrets 32, which has an amazing story called "I Fell for a Commie". It's a twisty undercover FBI/commie story from square in the McCarthy-era and right up my alley.

PS - I just want to say this - thank you all so much for the replies and kind words. It doesn't take much to really lift someone up and I appreciate every single one of your kind words.

Check out these threads since you mentioned Creepy and Eerie. And sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully this forum can be a nice distraction for you.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9307444#Post9307444

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8828965#Post8828965

Check out these threads since you mentioned Creepy and Eerie. And sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully this forum can be a nice distraction for you.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9307444#Post9307444

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8828965#Post8828965

:cloud9: Will be updating quite a bit of new material in my Creepy thread tomorrow.

I have some pretty bad nerve damage, take care of my elderly mother, and left collecting for several years (bad stalker problem). I can commiserate. These guys are the best and you'll feel at home in no time.

-- Joanna

Welcome to the boards! One more thing to add to all that's been said, no need to lurk anymore. Lots of other people here at all times of the day and night who love to discuss all things comics...plus pretty much everything else. Just jump into the conversations and have fun. It's an an amazing group of people.

Hey Grand welcome to the boards, hope the holidays are treating you well!

I think a good number of us have had similar feelings after a burn with a book not being what it was purported to be (though we usually are dealing with undisclosed restoration not an outright fake). Though considering your Cerebus survived a fire, I'd put it front a center in my collection and point out "THE BOOK THAT WOULD NOT DIE!!!" just to have some fun with it....

Im a big GA Sci-Fi collector so here's some fun covers starting with my favorite Planet

WOXUYWe.jpg

And while it's a little blury I love the logic of a short sleeved space suit like on the cover here..

NAs4lIc.jpg

Any the jewel of my collection (bought here on the boards, which is an awesome place to hang out)

QidjjkB.jpg

Welcome to the boards! :hi:

Hopefully I can do a little to brighten your day.

Galactus? Check. (splash from FF #50)

FF_50_interior_zpsq5c2x4st.jpg

Golden Age? Check.

speed38.jpg

EC? Check, Let's try a war book this time.

frontline_8.jpg

I also have some Cerebus (doubles etc.) I'd be happy to pass along for free. PM me your address if you're interested. Cerebus fans got to support each other!

BTW, if you haven't heard of it yet, check out the Moment of Cerebus blog. It is the hub for all things Cerebus. And Dave will even post on there sometimes.

Also, The Comic Geek Speak Podcast has some interviews with Dave that are well worth a listen.

Now here's smiling, Chaykin Miracle Man with extreme lens flare to brighten your day.

DT6NzNJm.jpg