• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED

40 posts in this topic

These religious themed books aren't for everyone. Heck, they may not be for anyone other than myself and one or two discriminating, forward thinking simply brilliant collectors who like undervalued genres. Which is certainly one way to describe religious books.

So, on this very special day, which I hope was great for all fanboys and fangirls, here are a few fun (spiritually significant!) books to consider.

Catholic Pictorial #1 9.0 OWW $1000 $850

It's a religious grail (ha) with Toth art. Overstreet has it as Rare, and that's an understatement, especially in grade. There's no real way to price this other than to say it's at least a grand by the way I figure these things.

Conquest #1 (Eastern, 1955) F/VF $100 SOLD

This one shot doesn't come around too often either. There's one 5.5 in the census. How is this religious you say? Richard the Lionhearted, of course! Anyway it's a cool obscure Famous Funnies. Supple, tight, OW, slightest toning on the interior covers.

Joan of Arc #A1-21 (ME, 1949) F+ to F/VF $85 $75

A very colorful book, with one of the best photocovers around. The back shot is awesome. This book has always been hot over the years, but strangely enough recorded prices don't reflect that. So underpriced it is.

Oh yeh, CR pages. On a bad day, if a grader has it in for me, some might say it comes close to LT at the edges. But don't believe them! If you don't like the PQ I'll pay the cost back to me.

First Christmas nn (Fiction House, 1953) VF- $250 $200

A large format 8 1/4 X 10 1/4 honey printed in 3 DIMENSION. :o

Glasses are included, but not attached. Fantastic Kelly Freas painted cover, and the back cover map - awesome!! Interior covers are bone white, pages OW. Could benefit from a press, that's for sure, and I would have done that and slabbed it except if the glasses are detached it gets a Qualified grade.

Everybody loves this book. It really says Christmas - like, really!

Sorry Shrevvy, no Cardinal, just some missionary zeal from the Guild

God's Heroes in America (Catechetical Guild, 1956) NM $50 $35

An old favorite, great painted cover. .25 copy vs the .35 price increase sticker. Squarebound goodness, CR-OW pages, really stunning copy. Back cover is the same as the front for double your viewing pleasure.

I've got some scanning to do, but what's coming up is a nice Classics God's Heroes in America, some Picture Stories form the Bible (EC, DC, and a phat 144pg slab), and maybe one or two others.

Is the 144 pg the black book with the Old Testament? I have my copy at 4.0 ... what grade slab is at? And I only have 3 Picture Stories books (Old Testament, New Testament, and another I forget what it is). Yeah, I am curious to see what you got in there.

Sorry I got the books mixed! I mean as for the New Testament. I just remembered the Old Testament edition is much thicker by pages. doh!

Picture Stories from the Bible Complete NT 144 pg .40 (EC, 1946) 7.5 OW $200

It's all about the spine on these books. This one is razor sharp with no break whatsoever on the black. Obviously there are other minor points to deduct, but I swear I got a grumpy grader on this one.

There are always a lot of Picture Stories floating around, but no slabbed New Testament's at the moment I believe. Last 7.5 GPA was nine years ago at $150.

Picture Stories from the Bible #3 New Testament (1946, EC) VG/F $50 $35

A gorgeous matte cover with a top right corner crunch that goes all the way from front to back. There is one interior page that wasn't cut correctly at the bottom right corner and so was folded back into the book a bit by the publisher. Light Tan pages.

And lastly,

Picture Stories from the Bible Old Testament #4 (Fall 1943, DC) F+ to F/VF $75 $60

This is where it began with this series. A very nice copy, very supple and tight, OW pages with toned interior covers. I like books that do what I call the "musical saw", the wonderful sound of a taut book snapping back and forth. You'd know it if you heard it from 10 feet away. Great colorful art - the Story of Job centerfold is a winner.

The front cover top edge has some slight issues. And the lower back bottom edge as well.

Conquest #1 (Eastern, 1955) F/VF $100

This one shot doesn't come around too often either. There's one 5.5 in the census. How is this religious you say? Richard the Lionhearted, of course! Anyway it's a cool obscure Famous Funnies. Supple, tight, OW, slightest toning on the interior covers.

Conquest01f_zpszbfnnonn.jpg

Conquest01b_zpsfydlqoka.jpg

:takeit::angel: