• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLOSED

40 posts in this topic

I agree with Dan, that is pretty funny - Paul the Original Gangsta. I read a book (once), "The Mythmaker - Paul and the Invention of Christianity". Very interesting.

Sqeggs - ^^ as always, impeccable taste

ComicCav - your lust for busts is one thing we can trust. Heathen!

Brian - it's a small map, but there is wandering. Speaking of which - are you going to Terry's show? I look up to you, as you well know.

Ron

when I read what you wrote, I was moved, and this is what came into my heart and mind. This is an EA (artist proof) for Salvador Dali's "L'Astre" (The Star). I offer it to you for $ ON HOLD. Prices range on this up into the 1000's. You have the right of first refusal - if anyone else is interested then please post a conditional take it based on Ron's decision.

The print is a photogravure - an intaglio print from a plate that is a photo-mechanical reproduction - of an original ink drawing created by Dali in 1960. It was published in 1978 by Levine and Levine after the plate was prepared by the master printer Emiliano Sorini. Most of the prints in the total edition of 1,125 are printed in sepia ink only, not in color, as this one is. It is in excellent condition. There are fakes and restrikes of this image available in the market, as with so many of Dali's works. I obtained a written Opinion as to its authenticity from Bernard Ewell (known for his work with Dali prints) in 2001, and will provide that with the art.

Dalí’s experience of religion was divided from early on. His mother’s family were devout Catholics, but his father was a staunch atheist who sent him to the local state school as an alternative to a directed Catholic education. The young Dalí shared his father’s aversion. However, in 1949 Dalí attended a private audience with Pope Pius XII, and announced himself a Catholic the next year, or (as he put it) a ‘Catholic without faith’.

Dali's paintings on religious subjects are well known and have been, to put it mildly, controversial. L'Astre is not known for having a religious theme, but it has always seemed that way to me. I see the 3 Wise Men and L'Astre is the Star of Bethlehem. The major figure is reaching up, yearning to bridge the gap between the human and the divine, but still supported (tethered?) by this earthly plane.

Ron, you, your Mom, her faith, your work as an artist, somehow it all came together and this picture popped into my mind. I've has this piece for 30+ years, but on this day after Christmas, I'm ready to have it grace another home. Maybe Ron's, or if not him, then someone else to whom this has meaning.

True, true - not the art per se, rather at the time there was little more Dali could do to offend his avant-garde admirers than endorse the Church.

This might be an element, but I believe (as everyone away from faith) he was sincere, for a good portion, in its "conversion" (put into brackets just for the singularity of it, not because of mistrust.

I have a lot of familiarity with the writings of st. John of the Cross, and when he did the "Christ of St. John of the Cross" he did a true work of art in its highest term. I mean that I really believe there was a sincere element of faith, otherwise you can’t toss out such a "metaphysical" masterpiece. Given his excesses, it’s not so strange to think he found in the spiritual teaching of John of the Cross a striking inspiration.

Do you have any early Topix? :)

I remain quite surprised about how catholic publishing took up comics in your country. The american catholic comics in some ways and instances give me a feeling of a "restrained response" to protestant culture. Or maybe it’s just me.

I agree with Dan, that is pretty funny - Paul the Original Gangsta. I read a book (once), "The Mythmaker - Paul and the Invention of Christianity". Very interesting.

Sqeggs - ^^ as always, impeccable taste

ComicCav - your lust for busts is one thing we can trust. Heathen!

Brian - it's a small map, but there is wandering. Speaking of which - are you going to Terry's show? I look up to you, as you well know.

Yes, I'm going...I think...and Solar Boy is going too...I think...

Here's your song:

Randy Newman's got me pegged all right. I did used to wear platform shoes on my nasty little feet! Just to keep my relative height disadvantage the same as everyone else wearing platforms, you understand.

I did draw the line at short shorts.

Ron

when I read what you wrote, I was moved, and this is what came into my heart and mind. This is an EA (artist proof) for Salvador Dali's "L'Astre" (The Star). I offer it to you for $500. Prices range on this up into the 1000's. You have the right of first refusal - if anyone else is interested then please post a conditional take it based on Ron's decision.

IMG_2684_zpselqsxu1f.jpg

The print is a photogravure - an intaglio print from a plate that is a photo-mechanical reproduction - of an original ink drawing created by Dali in 1960. It was published in 1978 by Levine and Levine after the plate was prepared by the master printer Emiliano Sorini. Most of the prints in the total edition of 1,125 are printed in sepia ink only, not in color, as this one is. It is in excellent condition. There are fakes and restrikes of this image available in the market, as with so many of Dali's works. I obtained a written Opinion as to its authenticity from Bernard Ewell (known for his work with Dali prints) in 2001, and will provide that with the art.

Dalí’s experience of religion was divided from early on. His mother’s family were devout Catholics, but his father was a staunch atheist who sent him to the local state school as an alternative to a directed Catholic education. The young Dalí shared his father’s aversion. However, in 1949 Dalí attended a private audience with Pope Pius XII, and announced himself a Catholic the next year, or (as he put it) a ‘Catholic without faith’.

Dali's paintings on religious subjects are well known and have been, to put it mildly, controversial. L'Astre is not known for having a religious theme, but it has always seemed that way to me. I see the 3 Wise Men and L'Astre is the Star of Bethlehem. The major figure is reaching up, yearning to bridge the gap between the human and the divine, but still supported (tethered?) by this earthly plane.

Ron, you, your Mom, her faith, your work as an artist, somehow it all came together and this picture popped into my mind. I've has this piece for 30+ years, but on this day after Christmas, I'm ready to have it grace another home. Maybe Ron's, or if not him, then someone else to whom this has meaning.

Andy, what a beautiful offering. And yes I love Dali's work for the most part. His Christ of St. John of the Cross is one of the most incredible crucifixion images ever painted. What you are offering is truly generous, but I am going to pass as I have committed to some OA purchases that I have to make good on. I might even be running my own thread soon. Season's Greetings to you and your loved ones.

No, none. They look great, I've never seen one.

I have some from 1943, the 1942 ones seem tougher and it seems they have better artwork. The artwork of the following ones (I have a number of them from 1944 and 1945) is occasionally poor, but the saints' biographies are often very interesting.

Besides some minor saints relevant to America there are some biographies definitely unusual, like the one of St. Benedict, which begins showing the bombing of Mount Cassino (implicitly deprecating it) and came out slightly after the historical event.